main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    This talk of westerns has me thinking of the True Grit remake. Great film, but how can you **** up the most famous scene in the original?

I'd like to see another Attempt at a Final Fantasy movie. Adapting FF6. Live action this time though.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Looks like the A Team is back for today's episode of AMC Movie Talk

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I just saw Far from the Madding Crowd and despite a cast led by Carey Mulligan and Michael Sheen, I was very disappointed in it. But I thought Matthias Schoenarts was about the best thing in the movie; he was giving off a serious Viggo Mortenson vibe and it made me kind of wonder where he's been as well.

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm being sucked in by the trailer for American Ultra. It looks very predictable, and yet I want to see it.

edit: there's swearing in this trailer, so not safe for work.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wasn't Viggo in Two Faces of January last year?

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^He was good in it, too.

7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It'd be cute if it didn't mean a giant rampaging atomic monster had more government recognition than half a million individuals of Korean descent.

Darth Guy likes this.
  9. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Looking forward to this. I like Landis work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Today's AMC Movie Talk

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I was really impressed by his Wrestling Isn't Wrestling short film. Clearly inherited his dad's knack at comedy, adding his own spice as well.

12. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Its amazing how John Campea put together such a great team and how they took off and how quickly it has been destroyed. I wonder what led him to resign from AMC. My guess is it has something to do with Maude Garrett.

If you push the clock back even further, I always wondered why they canned Erin Darling. She's so hot.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Meant to check that out, but it never opened in theaters, so it kinda slipped by. Also features my guy, Oscar Isaac, of course.

Had to check out the news on Green Inferno. I don't anticipate going to see it, but I am interested in Roth as a filmmaker. Love him or hate him, he was certainly a very influential figure in horror there for a while and though his star has waned a bit, he obviously still wants to be a force in the genre. Green Inferno's trailer really freaked me out and I was shocked to see that it was actually going to open in theaters. It's rated R for (get ready for this, you guys) "aberrant violence & torture, grisly disturbing images, brief graphic nudity, sexual content, language & some drug use." I love the usage of the words "aberrant" & "grisly." One thing's for sure, Roth keeps pushing the MPAA to find new adjectives to suit his brutal, nasty style of filmmaking. Anyway, don't take the kids.

I'm in no way a fan of Roth and the buzz I've heard on Green Inferno means I wasn't planning to go see it, but he's a filmmaker on the edge and the idea of a film as undoubtedly graphic and disturbing as this one is actually getting released in mainstream theaters was very intriguing to me. Then came the delay and I honestly figured there would eventually be an unrated online release (since it was almost certainly cut all to hell and back to get even that extremely hard R rating); but now it's apparently back on the slate for theaters. We'll see what happens this time.

But what the heck is this new Roth movie? Knock Knock with Keanu Reeves, which has one of the most abbreviated and pointless teaser trailers ever. How weird. Probably won't see that one either, but I'll be interested.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Word! re Erin Darling. I loved watching her on Clever Movies before she came on aboard with AMC Movie Talk.

I remember Phase 1 of AMC Movie Talk where it was just John Campea, Dennis Tzeng, Amirose Eisenbach and John Schnepp would Skype in on the show. I don't think John Campea's departure has to do with Maude Garrett, as Maude put a video that she recently got a full time job and is "technically" still with AMC in this VIDEO. But it is surprising to hear John leaving after spending so many years on building up the show. I don't think the relationship soured with AMC and John, but I think other opportunities have come John's way.

I watched Big Trouble in Little China last night, and yes, this movie should be remade with the Rock. I think the Rock is a perfect fit for Jack Burton as it plays to all his strengths.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Two famous movie are coming next for me via Netflix: An Officer and a Gentleman and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Haven't seen either of them. I'm so flippin' excited.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Both those films were instant classics, especially One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I kind of envious of you, as you'll be experiencing these films for the first time.

17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm wondering if critics influence anyone on these boards whether to see a movie or not.

In my younger days, Siskel & Ebert and then Ebert & Roeper would influence me when I was on a fence on a movie. And because I respected their opinions, I would sometimes watch films they gave "thumbs up" to. I typically agreed with Roeper more than Ebert, but I appreciated that they both were able to articulate their thoughts and opinions on what made the movie work and what didn't. These days, I find that YouTube is the place that fills the void left by Ebert & Roeper. Chris Stuckmann and Sam's Channel on YouTube, for me, give the best break down and analysis of films and how the films made them film or create food for thought.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    In terms of popular criticism, the sort of "Should you go see X this weekend?" type, that basically died with Roger Ebert for me. I'll take an exceptional negative consensus (IE 30% or less on RT) as an indication that I should at least hold off for it to hit a streaming service, but no amount of exceptional positive acclaim can get me off my ass; there has to be a secondary source of motivation, even if it's just positive word of mouth from friends.

In terms of academic criticism, I do use that as a benchmark on catalog items to look into; it's surprising how helpful very serious scholarship can be when deciding how to approach the filmography of, say, Fellini.

20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Nope. Not critics, not fans. Trailers and scenes are enough of a gauge for me now.

It's pretty much the same for anything I get into, I haven't followed the list of Kung Fu movies I should be seeing according the boards I've joined. I just go by what looks good to me, but mostly if I can get something out of the characters / scenarios. If I like the character / actor etc. I'll go forward. That's been serving me very well over the past 17 years as I've gotten into more European and Asian genre films.

That said, I do very much appreciate the academic looks at European genre cinema over the past three years. I do like reading some film criticism just to get a better understanding of the genre, director etc. It rarely inspires me to see the films though (I usually already have gone through the genre / person's filmography by the time I read the book.)

I've always gone for characters and that's been a very strong indicator of finding films I enjoy. It's so nice to watch a clip and completely get a character and say, I have to see that.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Today's episode of AMC Movie Talk

22. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    One thing I totally agree with John: we need a remake of Mega Force!

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, I have a whole metric about what movies I go see. It's late. I'll explain it tomorrow.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Will I be able to write a 2,500 word screed on the JCC tomorrow about this film? Yes / No.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    AMC Movie Talk - James Wan To Direct AQUAMAN, Sam Jackson Not Appearing In CIVIL WAR?