main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    CHUCK: The Motion Picture

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Just got back from Slow West, a film from New Zealand with Kodi Smit-McPhee (Nightcrawler in X-Men: Apocalypse) as a youngster from Scotland come to America in 1870 to search for his lost love; Michael Fassbender is the stoic bounty hunter he finds himself thrown in with. It'll take some thinking about to get at everything the movie is getting at, but it's really, really good and I highly recommend it. It's in some ways a deconstruction of the Western mythos; in some really intriguing ways, actually. And it has a very unique tone. Don't want to ruin it for anybody, so I'll just say go see it. "Dry your eyes, kid. Let's drift."

3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Speaking of Fassbender, they finally released a trailer for that Macbeth film he had been working on. If nothing else, it looks gorgeous.

EHT, soitscometothis and Bacon164 like this.
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Can. Not. Wait. Fassbender and Cotillard are such perfect casting as to be ludicrous.

5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    good grief - i'm cgi
    [​IMG]

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, I have to see that Macbeth movie. That's my favorite Shakespeare play, and the trailer makes the movie look very promising.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Please don't suck, The Peanuts Movie.

8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Sigh, CGI Peanuts... please do not be like Lucy pulling away the football...

Juliet316 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I don't remember that many Snoopys. It's like Snoopy-verse.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Saw this trailer for "We Are Your Friends" yesterday infront of Entourage (short verdict: if you're a fan, it's okay. More like the directionless jumbled later seasons of the show but the guys have good chemistry)

I think it's a well-made trailer for a movie that will probably be awful. Good editing at the end there, though.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Today's episode of AMC Movie Talk

AMC Movie Talk - Josh Trank Talks STAR WARS Exit, Have Special Effects Reached Their Limits?

12. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It's four of Snoopy's brothers and his two sisters. Details here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoopy's_siblings. It seems his Mom & Dad couldn't make it to the theater.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I definitely recognize the one that has an ongoing relationship with a cactus, but the rest are mystifying.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope Charlie Brown commits suicide at the end, so there are no more sequels.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I know Belle is the one sister and the fat one with the hat is Olaf. The other female I don't remember at all. I have vague memories of the spotted one and the extra-fuzzy one, but their names escape me at the moment.

16. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Film discussion, eh? I appreciate the subtle nuances of Troma films. They'll display a scene of unspeakably horrific violence one minute, then hit you with a good, old fashioned pie in the face gag the next. Lloyd Kaufman is a genius.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Wasn't there one named Spike?

18. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    [​IMG]

Not pictured: Molly and Rover, who were featured on TV, but not in the comic strip. Here's a shot from the TV special "Snoopy's Reunion":
    [​IMG]

EHT likes this.
  19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You still haven't seen Appaloosa, have you? You need to see it.

And oh god, Fassbender's Macbeth looks brilliant.

20. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I've got a question related to my seeing "Wings" last week. I know that some DVDs of silent movies have the option to choose between a full orchestral score or an organ score. Which do you prefer?

I personally prefer an organ score. I admit, though, that I've been spoiled, having seen the movies shown in a revival theater with a big, old fashioned Wurlitzer organ that sounds absolutely magnificent. By comparison, I've only heard the orchestral scores on TV; hearing them from a live orchestra might make a difference.

Over to you...

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Full orchestra. Solo organ isn't something I'm particularly fond of the sound of, and most of the silent movies I repeatedly come back to have surviving or reconstructed musical accompaniments for full orchestra. I'm not a poor person attending a nickelodeon in the 1910s, let me hear some goddamn violins.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Marbles! Yes. I wanted to say Patches, but I knew that wasn't right. I knew it had something to do with his markings.

I have occasionally just turned the volume down and watched silent movies . . . well, silent. Sometimes it's preferable to the bad scores.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    What, you mean you're not in love with classics like the ambient electronic bollocks on the pre-Kino Nosferatu release? I feel like F. W. Murnau would have demanded that cheesy synth.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh, a real Rockefeller, ain't ya?

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  25. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    KennethMorgan: It depends on the quality of the score. The greatest success story would surely be Richard Einhorn's "Voices of Light" symphony attached to the Criterion DVD of The Passion of Joan of Arc.

For me, Einhorn transformed a silent masterpiece into the Greatest Film Ever Made. Even a stone-cold atheist could be induced to ecstatic rapture.