main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: The Old Republic Discussion Thread [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Master Kenobiwan, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    You can reset almost all quests, even class quests, so try that? It'll mean redoing a section but might be worth it. Also, at level 10 it's not completely out there to just reroll if something is wrong.

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

2. ObsGryphon

ObsGryphon Jedi Padawan star 1

May 8, 2015
    Well togrutan next month and an expansion in October. Now I know where my money has been going. eh.. :p At least I don't have to pay for it.

Knights of the Fallen Empire

Darth Master Titus likes this.
  3. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    I'm guessing this is another computer game? And I hope it isn't as frustrating/difficult as SWTOR

4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    It is SWTOR, and expansion pack.

5. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    I wish they'd make a SW game like this that is not an MMO, but an RPG that is also on console.

6. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    I honestly think they should just scrap SWTOR and produce KOTOR..It's what a lot of people want so make it happen

Howard Hand likes this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In hindsight, they should have let Obsidian make KOTOR 3 and set TOR during the New Sith Wars.

Howard Hand likes this.
  8. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    The Obsidian team still wants to make KOTOR 3, but obviously they are being held back (or maybe not). KOTOR 3 could be one of the best games to date given the advancements in gaming technology. KOTOR 1 was pretty much ahead of its time, imagine what a properly done KOTOR 3 could look like today :(

9. ObsGryphon

May 8, 2015
    I'd rather Bioware do KOTOR 3 but the third installment is unlikely to happen when they're incorporating Revan's story in SWTOR.

10. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    I haven't played KOTOR 2. Can someone tell me which game was better and which developer is the best for a KOTOR game..Bioware or Obsidian?

11. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Agree wholeheartedly. There's no good reason to continue producing content for that dead MMO.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Bioware that developed KOTOR 1 no longer exists. Most of the people responsible for KOTOR I have left Bioware and Bioware has repeatedly been sabotaged by EA. For example, Bioware intended to develop KOTOR 3 way back when but EA forced them to develop TOR instead.

I can't decide which KOTOR is better overall, but I defintely prefer the plot and characters of KOTOR II.

13. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    EA, a Star Wars RPG where you can create your own story/path and player isn't too much to ask in this day in age. It doesn't have to be KOTOR 3, preferably it should be, but something along those lines.

They like to torment us Star Wars fans lol

Howard Hand likes this.
  14. ObsGryphon

May 8, 2015
    In that, you're right. The original dev crew of Bioware for KOTOR is no longer there. Obsidian hadn't done a good job with KOTOR II however. I'd prefer Bioware over Obsidan despite their chains to EA.

For me, KOTOR stands out.

15. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    How about we start at campaign for KOTOR 3..you already know that would be funded LOL

But it's like they're afraid to touch it..Maybe they don't want the pressure of messing up such a beloved game [face_dunno]

16. Efdifor

Efdifor Jedi Knight

Mar 3, 2015

They're making money hand over fist on SWTOR. Their average revenue per subscriber has gone up substantially since going FTP.

It's not hard to do back-of-the-envelope estimations. If we guess that the subscriber base is all the way down to 500K (I bet it's higher than that), that's over $60M per year in revenue from subscribers. Then you have non-subscribers and subscribers alike spending significant money at the cash shop. I believe they've indicated that they make more money on the shop than they do through subscriptions, but let's just conservatively say that they make the same amount. That puts them up to $120M per year in revenue.

I think I was conservative in both estimates, so I'm going to claim that they're pulling in at least $120M year in revenue without having added any top end content since release (for example, this is the first new cinematic trailer they've released since before launch). That's serious coin.

Anecdotally, I know someone that works on the D&D Online game. IIRC they had fewer than 100K subscribers, and it was still enormously profitable. You don't need to be one of the top 3 MMOs to make serous bank.

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  17. Cab-Lee

Cab-Lee Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2015
    Hey, Thanks dude! Ill have to try that. Damn... Why didnt I think of that before...

18. Cab-Lee

Cab-Lee Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2015
    So is anyone else getting texture issues and missing textures? Or is that just me?

19. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    What Efdifor said. I actually got to talk to one of the producers last year at a Cantina tour event, and while he can't say numbers, I asked whether the Cartel Market was working out and the answer was a resounding yes, and they're very happy with how things are going, money-wise. In 2013 they made $139m and I suspect more in 2014. And they have Disney funding behind them now, too.

On the launcher there's a little gear icon, and in it is a repair option, might help you for now. Sounds like an installation issue though, I had those when using the "live" install (patching/installing while you play) and I've since reverted to the non-streaming install and things are significantly better. I can't remember how to switch it, though.

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

20. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    it sort of feels like a different IP for me,just one tries generically to go copy sw(same ships but not really,same storm/clone troopers but not really,same laserswords w the same masters but not really like notbackwardstalking yoda),everything feels visually like they awkwardly copied down everything
    in sw.

Wich is a shame,cause it never feel like the same universe in the distant past,but sort of an alternate contemporary universe...

It has a lot of great writing though,such a shame abt the design decisions ,for me anyway

21. Sirdi

Sirdi Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2015
    I never was a big fan of the design but the story has always been grade A. Bioware rarely comes up lacking in the story department. So, I am juiced for the expansion since I'm a subscriber.

22. Jedi_Knight_AAK

Jedi_Knight_AAK Jedi Master

May 2, 2005
    As a SWTOR player and still a fan of the game after 3.5 years of playing and 6-7 years since I heard of it, I would like to say a couple words. They may be the fanboi type, we'll see ^^

► The Story has always been and still is the strongest side of this game. Now, with the expansion coming (which promises to be big in terms of content, despite the only +5 lvl cap) and the advertisement of new, exciting story lines accompanied with the branching and different choices, I am also hyped and excited. The choices may still be fake, like they have always been as this is an MMO and not a single player game, but maintaining the illusion could still be enough, depends on how Bioware implements it into the cut-scenes and dialogues.
    ► The EndGame is suffering, has always been and by the looks of it, will continue to suffer. There are not enough innovations and fresh mechanics to keep raiders entertained, but this is always a variable and you never know when it will change. The most hard-core content are the NiM operations, but they are so poorly tweaked that you end up relying more on your luck and server latency than on player skills and teamplay. Non the less, I enjoy all the End Game SWTOR has to offer. Despite all its bugs and issues. Even despite the insanely long content cycles (1-2 new ops per year, released together)
    ► PvP is the most suffering aspect of the game and it's not so much because of the design, it's the unbelievably bad engine supporting SWTOR. I used to love the "fake" open world PvP on Illum until I realized it is even worse than what SWG's Restuss PvP was ^^.

Not sure if my words sounded a bit too negative and critical. I should state, for those who may care, that I have been a fan of SWTOR for years and will continue to be. No intentions to stop playing it. After all.. I went through its darkest ear - Summer or 2012. If this could not make me leave it, nothing can! :)))

23. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Sorry if you've answered this in the comments, but is TOR and TOR Fallen Empire the same game? Like a DLC?

24. Jedi_Knight_AAK

Jedi_Knight_AAK Jedi Master

May 2, 2005
    Knights of the Fallen Empire is the new WInter expansion for TOR.

25. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Oh okay. That's kind of disappointing. I'd hope they'd discontinue that game and start a new and better one