main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why doesn't Chewbacca defend The Force?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthWilliams, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    Nah, Star Wars is my religion

darth ladnar and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Obi-Wan_Lennon

Obi-Wan_Lennon Jedi Master

Jun 6, 2005
    I agree that Chewie's views on the Jedi probably drastically changed over the two decades since he help Yoda escape. The Jedi were supposed to help the wookiees drive the battle droids off of their homeworld, but instead the Jedi brought the clones there who then oppressed the wookiees. He probably viewed the Jedi as a bunch of guys with some flashy tricks or just straight up liars. Also I see no real reason for Chewie to even believe that Obi-Wan is a Jedi. He never encountered him before ANH and then one day he meets this old man in a bar claiming to part of a long dead religious cult. That's probably the reason he brought Obi-Wan and Luke to Han in the first place. He though they could swindle a few credits out of gramps and his whiny grandson.

3. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
  4. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Yep, this is the one and only situation in Star Wars where the answer is actually, "The force didn't do it". :p

5. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    Originally Lucas wanted a young Han Solo on Kahsyyyk. Well let's applaud him for not doing that =D=.

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    every roar and beep in sw is up for interpretation.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015

I've never thought about it that way. Solo showing up on Kashyyyk alongside Yoda would have been a contradiction, because he doesn't believe in the Force in A New Hope.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He doesn't believe that it "controls everything" - doesn't mean he doesn't believe it can be used for things like telekinesis and whatnot.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think he believes that, either.

He doesn't believe it can help you deflect blaster bolts.

I call it luck.
    Good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living?

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

I don't think he believes in any of it. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    In Han's case, there are people who won't believe in something even when presented with evidence that, it seems, is absolutely clear. Han's not going to admit that something other than himself controls his destiny, no matter what anyone else says. Plus, if you factor in twenty years of the Empire saying, "The Jedi were murderous, traitorous, religious crazies and we're better off without them," no wonder people aren't all that favorable towards the Force or the Jedi.

As for Chewie, he probably figured this wasn't the time or place for a philosophical discussion, particularly since it wouldn't really change the fact that they were in deep trouble. And just because Chewie might still believe in the Force doesn't mean he believes in some old guy calling himself Ben Kenobi. Chewie can keep some belief in the Force to one extent or another, yet still think Ben is a kook.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    This isn't as big a contradiction as it appears at face value. Chewie apparently says "That old man's mad!". Now, since the two didn't meet in ROTS we can rightly assume Chewie doesn't know Ben from a hole in the ground. After 20ish years of the Jedi being extinct in the Universe, suddenly this old guy pops up claiming to be one. Chewie probably figured he had delusions of grandeur. And I doubt the subject of the Force came up often, since it was a "Jedi" thing and they were branded traitors to the Republic,it was probably a 'taboo' subject to most people.

BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    because ROTS hadn't been written yet.

13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Han's pretty dismissive in this scene. "Hokey religions", "simple tricks and nonsense" etc. I don't think it's just that he doesn't believe in certain aspects of the force or that Kenobi isn't a legitimate Jedi.

14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i don't remember Chewbacca saying anything in the scene on the falcon about the Force, just later on the Death Star about his age. Which may have had as much to do with his plane to make his way through the Death Star to turn off the tractor beam.

of course he also laughed at Han in TESB , so chewie can laugh at those he loves.

Iron_lord likes this.