main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Women's Football/Soccer - Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Jun 8, 2015.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Three Stars.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  2. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    if u insist

Alpha-Red likes this.
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    This World Cup will be the one that changed the perception and will lead to significant growth in the women's game.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    One would hope. Or at least give attention to other players who aren't named Hope Solo.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think it's great that there was one active link between the 1999 and 2015 championship teams. Rampone was obviously very young for that run, just 24.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  6. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Depends if the attention can be maintained in Europe, especially in England. Our problem is the lack of interest in womens domestic leagues - huge problem in UK. Premier League dominates everything.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Juliet316 likes this.
  8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    For perspective:

Overnight Ratings:

Oregon-Florida State Rose Bowl 15.5
    Alabama-Ohio State Sugar Bowl 15.3
    USA-Japan Women's World Cup Final 15.2

9. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    That is awesome Inty! Really glad to see how many people are watching. Those aren't even including how many of us go to bars to watch because of the atmosphere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Wonder how Blatter felt about US winning the World Cup and England winning the third place playoffs....

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  12. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

The atmosphere before the game was insane yesterday. I marched with AO to the stadium and our group kept swelling until thousands of Americans were flooding the streets, chanting, singing, and loving our women. Absolutely amazing to be a part of.

The atmosphere of the stadium was...lacking. Every once in a while a USA chant would start up, but it was pretty much silent. I love the women's game and would watch the USWNT over the USMNT any day, but I miss the fan shenanigans that go along with the men's teams. At women's games I've been to, be it national teams or NWSL games, fans can't stand the whole match. We can't hold signs or banners or play drums. Even if event organizers have designated a "Supporter's Section" for us, other people sit there too and start yelling at us to sit down and say that we ruin everything because now no one can enjoy the game. No one bats an eye at the supporter's groups at Sounder's games (so long as we don't shout obscenities and what not), but we can't do that at women's games. I really really hope that women's soccer moves away from being seen as primarily for kids and families and let's the 20 and 30 somethings have our fun too.

As for the team this tournament, I'm split. I love this team. I love that they got that third star and I will got one added to my jersey and wear it proudly. I wanted us to get it for our veterans, KO and HAO and Rapinoe, For JJ and Kling who have had an absolutely awesome tournament. For Rampone, who has mentored JJ and graciously and gracefully stepped aside when her skill became eclipsed. Carli Lloyd who is so darn frustrating for 80 minutes, but then comes up big when we need her. Now maybe "Captain Clutch" can put that missed penalty of 2011 behind her. And I wanted it for Hope freaking Solo who is the best keeper the women's game has ever seen, but more than anyone else on the team, couldn't step out of the shadow of '99. (How many times have I heard Scurry's the better keeper because she had a WC? Now Solo has more caps, more shut outs, more Olympic Gold, and a WC.)

I didn't want it for Abby Wambach. It's pretty obvious now that Abby & other veterans got Sermanni fired when it was clear he was gonna lessen and lessen their playing time. Then they hired Jill, who would still play players like Abby. And Jill Ellis is one of the worst coaches uswnt has ever had and now she's won the World Cup. And before the Germany game, they played so poorly. Even the "good" game versus China was a narrow 1-0 win versus the 16th ranked team in the world. The performance against Germany wasn't Jill. Please. She subbed Abby in for Pinoe, like please. And I used to love Abby but she's done nothing but tarnish her legacy more and more. This American legend has gone from quiet and humble to entitled quotes and saying the turf and referees are out to get them. This team may win the World Cup. And what kind of message will that send? Not for women's soccer but for USA. What kind of message does it send to Morgan Brian and Julie Johnston? To tell them that it's okay to force yourself into the team and force your stay and keep the Crystal Dunn's of the world held down. But like. The way they played last night is why I love this team. It felt good to see them play again.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Congrats to Team USA! [face_flag] [face_dancing]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
  15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Nice. I'm gonna run by Barnes and Noble and pick one up, I think. Lucky number 13, please and thank you.

If anyone gets one, share who is on your cover!

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Pinoe, for the win

[​IMG]

Until Wil Trapp gets called in regularly, she well remain my favorite national team player.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    She's indeed very talented, her style remind me of the Czech male superstar Nedved.

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    She threw out the first pitch at the Dodgers game the other day, better than 99% of the first pitches normally seen. She kicks ass.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Happy Anniversary of this:

Slowpokeking and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It is Rapinoe's birthday as well.

[​IMG]

DarthIntegral and Juliet316 like this.
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Think it's time to start making plans to replace Jill Ellis. I can't remember who, but somebody had this on point even during the World Cup run. She is clueless as a tactician, and it's really starting to show as this lineup is shifting.

Perhaps they can hire Bruce Arena, just make him the big greasy overlord for American soccer.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    They will need a new and young coach then.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Why young? If Pia had any desire to come back (she does not), the US should drop everything to hire her.

If anything, as this team turns over to a new generation, experience is a good thing. Just experience with some tactical sense.

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Have you even watched her games in Sweden? They are pretty much outdated now, all they could do was set a bunker and send fast players forward. Under her our defense was just terrible, it cost us a WWC.