main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Where's the love for Count Dooku?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ObiAlKenobi, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    RIP Christopher Lee.

AshiusX likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's interesting to see some of Christopher Lee's comments on Dooku in his Lord of Misrule autobiography (though he seems to have gotten Qui-Gon and Sifo-Dyas confused):

The Count is the most malignant, dangerous, and lethal force in the entire story, possibly the entire galaxy. As a disenchanted Jedi who quits the Republic to serve the Emperor, I am a good guy gone wrong, though I have already engineered the death of Liam Neeson in an episode I wasn't in. My brief from the Emperor, who has appeared in several episodes with his face half-covered, is to initiate a war on a galactic scale between the two systems. I create clones for battle in huge numbers, "a power so colossal that they will be the greatest army in the history of the galaxy."

3. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I wouldn't describe Qui-Gon's efforts to free Anakin as opportunistic. After all, this was more for Anakin's benefit than anyone else. Honestly, he's just being a Jedi who has come across an individual with a strong connection to the Force. After all, didn't Obi-Wan went out of his way to convince Luke to leave Tatooine and become a Jedi?

I will give credit to Christopher Lee for giving a great performance. But . . . I still believe that Count Dooku is a first-rate villain because he doesn't come off as one-dimensional. He was a complex person whom I could never regard as superficial. As Lee did, any other actor also worth his salt would have done wonders with the role.

Sudooku and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Charon Lefleur

Charon Lefleur Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2015
    I feel like Darth Tyrannus is often overlooked because of his appearance alone. As mentioned earlier, the lack of Sith eyes make him seem lackluster in appearance when compared to the more otherworldly looking Maul or Sidious and even Vader after full transformation. Though not Sith, Grievous is also more visually interesting. However, I think that over time, Tyrannus will be appreciated more and more for the character complexity and his role in the story which goes so far beyond appearance.

AshiusX, Sudooku and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    His appearance and difference in manner is precisely why he *stands out*.

Charon Lefleur likes this.
  6. Charon Lefleur

Charon Lefleur Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2015
    Cushing's Admirer, I'm glad that people have that perspective because I think he's a great character. However, if you were to show me concept art for the prequels, I'd be curious about Maul, Grievous, etc. but not as much about Tyrannus. I'm just the type of person who's attracted to color and spectacle where Tyrannus is somewhat understated - at least on a visual level. I know, it's insane to think of Christopher Lee as understated in appearance but when you stand him next to droids and aliens, he is.

7. Joker the Master

Joker the Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2015
    The haters even bash Sir Christopher Lee. So I don't surprise if they do the same thing with his character, Count Dooku.

AshiusX likes this.
  8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Eh, if you say so. Chris is anything but understated if you study him and I don't care about flash myself it's a turn off.

SkywalkerOG likes this.
  9. Joker the Master

Joker the Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2015
    Well I had a respect for Sir Christopher Lee. He's one of the best actor I ever know. The haters bash him, proves how scumbag they're.

10. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Having just finished reading Dark Disciple, I was thinking about how awesome a character Dooku is. I think he is my all time favorite Star Wars character now. He is just so fascinating to me, and it really boosts his aura that he is played by the late, great Christopher Lee, who was an actor I already greatly admired and respected.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Mandalore The Ultimate

Mandalore The Ultimate Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2015
    I loved Dooku's reaction too. He was like: "WTF? I thought we were bros"

I thought the statue was in the movies.

AshiusX likes this.
  12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The statue is in the background of the Jacosta Nu and Kenobi archive search. That is in the film. But what Darth Chiznuk is talking about is the scene of the Lost 20 where Jocasta Nu and Kenobi talk about Dooku. It's a deleted scene.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The novelization version of it:

"I never understood why he quit," Obi-Wan said, follow Jocasta Nu's look to the bust. "Only twenty Jedi have ever left the Order."
    "The Lost Twenty," Jocasta Nu said with a profound sigh. "And Count Dooku was the most recent and most painful. No one likes to talk about it. His leaving was a great loss to the Order."
    "What happened?"
    "Well, one might say he was a bit out of step with the decisions of the Council," the Archivist replied. "Much like your old Master, Qui-Gon."
    Even though Obi-Wan had just been thinking the same thing, somewhat, to hear Jocasta Nu speak the words so definitely caught him off guard, and painted Qui-Gon in a more rebellious light than he had ever considered. He knew that his former Master had his moments, of course, the greatest of those being the confrontations concerning Anakin, but he had never thought of Qui-Gon as that much of a rebel. Apparently, Jocasta Nu, who had her finger as squarely as anyone on the pulse of the Jedi Temple, did.
    "Really," Obi-Wan prompted, wanting the information about Dooku, of course, but also hoping to garner some insight into his old and beloved Master.
    "Oh, yes, they were alike in many ways. Very individual thinkers. Idealists." She stared at the bust intently, and it seemed to Obi-Wan as if she had suddenly gone far, far away. "He was always striving to become a more powerful Jedi. He wanted to be the best. With a lightsaber, in the old style of fencing, he had no match. His knowledge of the Force was ... unique. In the end, I think he left because he lost faith in the Republic. He believed that politics were corrupt..."
    Jocasta Nu paused for a moment and looked at Obi-Wan, a very revealing expression that showed she did not think Dooku as out of step as many of the others apparently did.
    "And he felt that the Jedi betrayed themselves by serving the politicians," the Archivist stated.
    Obi-Wan blinked, soaking in the words. He knew that many, Qui-Gon included--even himself included, at times--often felt the same way.
    "He always had very high expectations of government," Jocasta Nu went on. "He disappeared for nine or ten years, then just showed up recently as the head of the separatist movement."
    "Interesting," Obi-Wan remarked, looking from the bust to the Archivist. "I'm still not sure I understand."
    "None of us does," Jocasta replied, her serious expression melting into a warm smile. "Well, I'm sure you didn't call me over here for a history lesson. Are you having a problem, Master Kenobi?"

14. Mandalore The Ultimate

Mandalore The Ultimate Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2015
    I've watched the deleted scenes for the prequels countless times. I don't recall ever seeing that one. Let me guess, it's exclusive on the blu ray, right? -_- Looks like I gotta buy the prequels again.

I never noticed the lost 20 wasn't mentioned in the film before.

ShaneP likes this.
  15. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Dooku was one of my favorite characters in the series, not necessarily for his actual actions in the films but for his character and role as well as his elegance.

If only he appeared in a bit more of ROTS...(or even TPM)

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    I can't say I really felt I could know the character much to proclaim Dooku was as awesome as some say. Lee was excellent in the work I did see, though.

I guess I would also note the lack of screen time. I also am not up on the EU and didn't watch TCW, so maybe that's why I don't think of the character much.

17. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    It's on YouTube. I just stumbled across it the first time yesterday.

------------

One of the reasons I like the Clone Wars era is Count Dooku. He's working behind the scenes, is charismatic, and is a Sith Lord.

18. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Yep. He's a cool villain.

Favorite movie quote:

"This is just the beginning!"

Favorite EU quote:

"You should be honored. You will be the first Jedi in a thousand years to feel the affect of the harvester."

19. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    My fav. quote of Dooku from TCW: A failed apprentice makes for a foolish master!

Self-critizism? Rebellion against Sidious? Or just taunting Ventress?

20. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

All the above. Sith were always more interesting when they were silent, brooding and pondering. I like that scene right before he orders the CIS forces to turn and attack Ventress after he was forcibly given the order to kill her by Lord Sidious. Often their dialogue is always typical Hollywood cliché diatribe & one liners - not that the heroes have better written dialogue they're often written just as hammy.

rumsmuggler and Sudooku like this.
  21. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    After carching up on this thread, i really want a spinoff of Lee teaching Qui Gon and going behind the Jedi pre-TPM. Also including Sifo Dyas, Sora Bulq and others that are questioning the Jedi way.

I think had he been established in TPM as a Jedi council member, it would have been much more powerful and mysterious when he left. And to not join the Sith, but a new breed of Jedi.

ChefCurryWindu likes this.
  22. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    Qui-gon, Sora Bulq, Sifo-Dyas, and Dooku would be an awesome ensemble! Maybe throw Cin Drallig in there. (Cin Drallig or Tholme.)

That could be a reeeaallly cool generational duology if the first book had those characters, and then the second one was ten years later with had Obiwan, Quinlas Vos, Kit Fisto, Aayla Secura, and maybe Anakin.

whostheBossk and ChefCurryWindu like this.
  23. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    Count Dooku is one of my favourite Sith Lords. His arrogance, his presence, his fighting style. I just thought he was fantastic. Everytime he made an appearance in TCW I knew something cool was going to happen.Now if they wanted to do a spin off film about Count Dooku that would be AWESOME!!!

ChefCurryWindu likes this.
  24. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Dooku interests me also, since he's a former Jedi who was considered one of the foremost Jedi of his time, if not throughout the history of the Jedi Order. Plus, his old connection to Yoda, and him and Obi Wan's mutual connection to Qui Gon make for an intriguing backstory on his history and fall to the Sith.

whostheBossk and AshiusX like this.
  25. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I like Dooku., he's just as much a politicians as he is a Jed/Sith.

It makes him a fascinating character and I would love to see some of his Jedi adventures, he's so elegant and suave that he was the perfect leader of the CIS more so then Maul could ever have been,

Mauls defeat probably did Palpatine more good then anything for his long term plan.