main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Red Tails - is the movie any good?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by JediMasterKeno, Feb 25, 2013.

1. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Why are you posting in a George Lucas fan forum? Confused.

[face_dunno]

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    GL didn't direct it, either.

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    George Lucas produced it. I believe Anthony Hemingway Directed it, Hemingway is African American and from the same place a lot of the pilots came from "Louisiana" or the South. Hemingway also produced one of my Favorite HBO TV shows Treme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EternalHero likes this.
  4. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    The HBO movie is also good but it's very over-the-top and theatrical, the aerial dogfights are terrible (they used stock footage - interesting but not very exciting to watch cut into a movie) and the writing is terribly "on the nose" much of the time. Red Tails looks better and has a vastly superior visual style.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    EternalHero,
    I don't know if you thought I meant Hemingway Directed the HBO movie but I actually meant Hemingway Directed Red Tails and George Lucas Produced Red Tails. the reason I brought up HBO is because Hemingway Produced one of my favorite HBO shows "TREME" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I have a Blu-Ray player and on the Player I get youtube, and on Youtube you can watch Red Tails in HD totally free, totally Legal....

It looks fantastic on my 42 inch LG HD-TV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    It's alright. Not very historically accurate, but it's a decent 2hr flick.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  8. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012

I'm calling B.S. on the full-360 the Mustang did.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    It was pretty accurate my friend, the Tuskegee Airmen Who were Consultants on the film all left in tears because of how accurate the film really was....

10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I've heard otherwise from other historians.

11. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    There are a lot of "historians" who have entirely other agendas in play who dismiss the Tuskegee airmen.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It was on BBC2 here not too long ago and due to the late hour I recorded it. Caught up to that recording recently and I thought it was pretty good.

13. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    As someone whose always had a historical interest with the story of the Tuskegee Airmen, I thought it was alright. I much preferred the other (HBO produced?) film.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I think i will go on the word of the men who were there rather then some historian .....

15. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    totally agree with this statement, there are A lot of racist people out there and I would wager a pretty penny that racist individuals are a big reason the Red Tails movie gets picked on, that and the fact that it was Produced by George Lucas and is a Lucasfilms ....

16. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I think it's basically okay. A better film would be 1995's "The Tuskegee Airmen".

Sarge likes this.
  17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    but which one had better dogfight scenes? that is what you see red tails for in the theater, it was the closest thing to flying a plane in combat that I ever experienced, and for a movie that came out a few years ago it had great CGI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

Okay, but the quality of dogfights alone is not what makes a good movie for me. I'm also interested in the script, dialogue and acting.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I thought the script, dialogue, and Acting was just fine. there is a reason the guy that played lighting is one of the most sought after actors in Hollywood he even got a major role in Star Wars Rebels. the only reason no one in red tails were up for any Oscars for red tails is the Holly Wood industry and the Academy hate George Lucas. And The Director Anthony Hemingway Is an accomplished Producer who produced and wrote HBO's Critically Acclaimed Treme It used to be one of my favorite Shows before it was canceled if you haven't seen it I would highly recommend it, very character driven! The Soundtrack was also very underrated. and lastly the thing that counts the most in my eyes, the men who flew the missions, and were consultants on the film, "THE TUSKEGEE AIRMEN" loved the film and after the Film they left the theater very Emotional and Crying because of how Accurate the Film is. that kind of sounds Like stories I heard of Veterans who left the Theater after Saving Private Ryan, And Flags Of Our Fathers, and that means way more to me then what some Historian thinks or Critic.....

EternalHero likes this.
  20. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    So, Lucas' critics are all mean ol' racists now? LMAO, you fanboys are getting desperate. People didn't go see Red Tails because it was mediocre at best. That's all there is to it. It seems to me that the only ones who have an "agenda" are people like you who look for any excuse to misrepresent Lucas' critics.

Howard Hand likes this.
  21. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I said both were the Reason Why the movie was not well received because 1. people can be really racist and 2. because it was produced by Lucas and was under the banner Lucasfilms, I didn't mean Star Wars fans were racist but I would gather that some are, they come in all shapes and sizes?

22. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, because Glory was universally panned and bombed hard. Same with Amistad, right?

People can be racist, but trying to make that an excuse for why Red Tails was poorly received is utterly embarrassing on your part. Not to mention pathetic. And that's not even getting into the anti-Lucas conspiracy theories. Just stop it.

23. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I didn't say it was the only reason I also said, "PEOPLE HATE GEORGE LUCAS AND THAT IS A REASON PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THE FILM" :)

24. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    I know you said that. And I told you to stop embarrassing yourself with your conspiracy theories. This myth that Lucas is a victim seriously needs to stop. Right now.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  25. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    not a conspiracy theory just the facts I have met Tons of Lucas Haters and Racists on here and In other Forums Like I said they come in all shapes and sizes .....