main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Stormtroopers are NOT bad shooters...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke comes up against a lot of Force-users pre-ESB, in the EU- most of which are hostile. Hence he's not likely to dispute Obi-Wan.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    How's she a Jedi when she's working with Vader? All Jedi are Force users...but not all Force users are Jedi. ;)

The real problem with Allegiance and Choices Of One is that they whitewash the banal evil the rank and file of the Empire represent. The stark brutality of the Imperial forces is why they stick in our heads so well; Owen and Beru, for example, don't know zilch about the droids, have zero interest in them besides repairing things and harvesting water, and this is what happens to them for just happening to have come into contact with them:

[​IMG]

But Zahn would have us believe that no, there's good-guy stormtroopers and it's all the Imperial Security Bureau's fault. Okay. :rolleyes:

3. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Those weren't the rank and file of the Empire, those were Darth Vader's hand-picked legion (and therefore, one can assume, probably tending to be more 'evil' than the average stormtrooper) trying to deal with a leak of the Empire's most important military secret.

Edit: As for 'working with Vader', she wasn't working with Vader when she encountered Luke in Choices of One. Luke knew that she was an Imperial agent, not necessarily how high up she was.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Imperial agents aren't typically Jedi either, nor would Luke be stupid enough to get that mixed up, given that Obi-Wan flat-out tells him that the Empire hunted down and killed the Jedi.

And those are only the 501st if you believe a particularly bad video game, which I don't.

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader, it's Vader that directly orders the stormtroopers to "extend them the same courtesy you showed the Jawas".

6. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Obi-Wan was talking about the sandpeople. He was saying that the sandpeople couldn't have attacked the walker because they weren't accurate enough. He also talks about the Bantha tracks. In fact, in the Ep4 novelization Obi-Wan says "No one on Tatooine fires with such accuracy. Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise." Still even forgetting about EU I think the context of the scene makes it quite clear Obi-Wan is referring to the Sandpeople and not the Imperial Army or any other branch of Imperial buearocracy.[/quote]

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably the simplest reason why West End Games concluded that the stormtroopers were an elite- they looked up Real Life stormtroopers, and concluded they were the inspiration for Star Wars stormtroopers (and therefore, that like them, SW stormtroopers were an elite- and not the whole of the Empire's ground forces).

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It's both because they don't stop rapidly aging. Also at that point most of the Stormtroopers are normal humans.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Is there a level in a game where you torch Owen & Beru's homestead? I would play the hell out of that level! But, to be fair, it would probably just a tutorial. Best tutorial ever! "See how fast you can murder the poor moisture framers - GO!"

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  11. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    Better then the battle droids and SE Greedo. But that's not saying much.

12. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    I think the Stormtroopers' inaccuracy is greatly exaggerated. Let's look at some of their accomplishments:

(1) Defeated the Rebels aboard the Tantive IV with reasonable accuracy in ANH;
    (2) Defeated some of the Rebel soldiers on Endor with decent accuracy (IIRC);
    (3) Almost hit Leia and Chewie when they were escaping in TESB. If they were highly inaccurate, their shots would not have been that close; and
    (4) Admittedly, the accuracy against the protsgonists was not great. However, as seen in (3), it generally improved in later movies.

Basically, the Stormtroopers' aim against the protagonists was not great, but their accuracy was better in TESB and ROTJ. Not to mention, they tend to do reasonably well against opponents who are not the main protagonists. Are they the best? No, but they are not as bad as many fans claim.

EHT and Seagoat like this.
  13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    EHT I would genuinely get those if they were real js

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Haha, me too.

Anyway, wow... old thread bump. I agree with those points above; the heroes in the OT have plot armor that protects them against the stormtroopers. Characters who were not main characters did not fare as well, especially in the attack on the Tantive in the start of ANH.

15. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    enigmaticJedi

they're bad shots son
    [​IMG]
    "accept it"

:p

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Did the battle Droids hit any of the main characters in the PT?

17. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    bad guys don't have good aim in the GFFA.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No one complains about that in the PT.

19. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    probably because they are supposed to be bumbling idiots in the PT IDK *shrugs*

20. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    Actually ALLOt of people complain about the poor aiming by the droids.

21. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    But according to some here, spin off material is more correct than the films and overrides them, :rolleyes:.

I know this is late, but the films never state or imply both. The clones only grow up faster, and nothing in the OT films implies they are recruits which is just an early EU idea. Even in the 70s LFL said they were clones so it isn't "PT creep".

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Until the "newcanon" announcement, spin-off material was on a slightly "lower tier".

Now, it's all on the same tier.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013

Which means spin off (non movie) material can correct the movies of the flaws Lucas put in them.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Or at least, answer questions that the movies leave unanswered.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Nice use of the Cliegg Lars quote! However, I still maintain my position. I do not have to accept it :D