main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Dragon Ball

Discussion in 'Community' started by TiniTinyTony , Aug 13, 2015.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    After being detached from this show from many years, the recent films have revived my interest. I also learned today of the Dragon Ball Z Kai series and a new series called Dragon Ball Super that continues to build on the stories from the movies that take place after the events of Dragon Ball Z. I never really watched the original Dragon Ball show, only watched a handful of Z, and didn't get into GT at all. (I hear GT may not be canon so maybe I didn't waste my time.)

So after some research, it sounds like the Kai series is the way to go to revisit the series as it trims out a lot of the filler that really turned me off and detached me all those years ago. Has anyone seen any of the Kai series? I'd love to discuss it, and anything Dragon Ball related including the recent movies "Battle of the Gods" and "Resurrection F".

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Super is appropriately named because it's super good.

Oh yeah, joke of the century.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Watching the original DBZ series is the only way to go. Not Kai. Don't particularly care for Frieza coming back unless it is Vegeta that stops him.
    Dragon Ball has a lot of good moments as well.

4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I wish they'd trim out a lot of the Dragonball filler as well in the future.

As far as anime goes, I've been researching Galaxy Express 999. Leiji Matsumoto's art style is my all time favorite of Japanese manga/anime artists. Toriyama's early Dragonball art reminds me a lot of Matsumoto.

5. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    I cannot claim to be the most knowledgeable about the franchise, but I did see all of Dragon Ball Z on their runs on Toonami back in the day, as well as all of Dragon Ball Z Kai. Kai is certainly the superior product. It cuts out a lot of the filler and is a more faithful adaptation of the Manga. At the time I watched it, the English dub* ended at the Cell saga, though I hear they may be working on the English dub of the Buu saga now? I haven't really kept up with the news. I would certainly recommend Kai as a reintroduction to the series.

Dragon Ball is very different in tone. Still a fun watch, but not nearly as "serious" as Z.

Battle of the Gods was a fun watch. Based on when the events take place in the timeline (after Buu saga) it didn't suffer quite as much from clashing continuity with the Manga story line like the previous films. The concept is also a little over the top, but is par for the course for Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Super is a new series that is retelling the events of Battle of the Gods in an episodic fashion instead of a 90 minute movie, so if you saw the movie first it might seem a little repetitious. I've seen the first few episodes of Super and haven't been too impressed so far.

*And yes, I am one of those white boy american posers that prefers the English dub over the original Japanese VAs. Sue me.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, one, they're already on record saying it's going to continue on afterwards and two, if you don't like awesome bro Mr. Satan and grumpy dad Vegeta you are objectively the worst.

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to see Cell and Gohan face each other again. Won't happen but I can dream.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Super has some terrible animation, because Toei; the last episode looked like some Newgrounds animation. Let's hope they are saving the good animators for the key episodes.

The idea of adapting the two movies and then continuing with the Universe 6 plan... well, I guess you could get some extra mileage out of Frieza's resurrection, but it feels like unnecessary padding. Still, Beerus and Whis are the best thing to happen to Dragon Ball since Satan, so I'll be there. Also, Jaco.

And of course the superior series is the original, non-Z, Dragon Ball. I still find myself mindlessly humming the main theme while working, and it's been 25 years...

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I only ever read the comics (Dragon Ball, for some reason, never aired very consistently here in the US, and the one time it did it got its time slot shuffled around a lot) but yeah, it's definitely the best part of the whole shebang.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Dragon Ball was the first comic series I collected. I lived that Japanese model of "the manga is several episodes ahead of the anime... and oh wow, I can't wait to see this happen on screen... what, more filler?? Mother..."

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    *powering up for five episodes*

12. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Seriously, I'll say it again. Dragonball really needs a Kai treatment. Trim down the filler to make it match the manga. I probably won't ever collect the Buu Saga. It doesn't add too much to the story arcs of the characters IMO. The Cell Saga was a culmination of everything that was introduced at the beginning of the Vegeta saga, with Gohan having the fulfilled potential of being stronger than his father, and it also tied back to the Red Ribbon Army stuff from the original Dragonball, which was definitely a highlight of the original show for me.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What they did with Gohan after the Cell Saga is just sad.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't mind it (although I sure did when I was 13 and hoping he would be the new main character). I find it refreshing that he would decide to become a scientist instead of a fighter. I mean... that was kind of his character from the beginning.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    We should watch Goku vs Frieza for movie night (only 4 hours!)

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    At the time it felt like the most epic **** ever. Then I turned to see American cartoons and there was some episodic crap about NFL players becoming Arthurian legends that always ended with the characters laughing at the bumbling comedic relief character.

I'll take 6 or 8 hours of super-padded fights if necessary. *shudder*

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    True on him not being a fighter and with Chi-Chi being Chi-Chi but no training for 7 years? Seriously? You'd think he would have kept up on it just in case to prevent another android or Cell situation. Those threats came from no where and the Z Fighters got trashed.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh man, I remember that show. It was... extant.

Clearly the optimal route is to watch the Dragon Ball Z Abridged version.

19. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Is anyone here a fan of the 80s/90s anime series Dragon Ball? I am, kinda. I first caught a few episodes on TV here in Canada, and liked the show.

Dragon Ball discussion: good
    Piracy sites: bad

20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Are you allowed to post that link?

Anyway, I watched it way back in the day when it was on Cartoon Network...haven't kept up with the recent stuff they've released though. There's also that abridged series by TeamFourStar which is pretty funny.

cerealbox and SergeyX2017 like this.
  21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Goku and Frieza are still fighting each other.

SergeyX2017 and Alpha-Red like this.
  22. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I've been a fan since, ugh, 1988 or so. The original Dragon Ball manga was the first comic I ever collected, so I will always look fondly upon it and other shonens of the era (Saint Seiya, Yu Yu Hakusho, et al.) It's profoundly dumb, sure, but so is Star Wars, so. Now that it's on Daisuki and other places, I watch Dragon Ball Super religiously: I still think that it's weird seeing the creator coming back to a series he left behind twenty years ago, but I guess it's the rage these days.

SergeyX2017 likes this.
  23. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Alpha-Red

No, I clearly am not, as it turns out lol

Anyway, in the full Japanese version, the old man, Roshi, is a total pervert who, when first meets Bulma and little Goku, asks to see her naked in exchange for his Dragon Ball :D

Later, asks to touch her boobs, in return for putting out the fire on that mountain lol

And the pig, Oolong, is a sexual fiend in his own right, obssessed with girls panties lmao

Lot of that stuff got edited out on TV here, I'm pretty sure. Especially some of the nude scenes, Bulma in the shower and such... Japanese really do push the boundaries with their anime, those ain't kid cartoons, that's for sure.

I also saw the Dragon Ball movie, couple years ago. Thought it was weird they made Goku into a white guy lol But, it is an American movie, of course ;)

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    *powers up for 15 episodes*

*gets ass kicked by enemy's new form anyway*

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    *Villain shows up*

*Gohan and Krillin get the living **** beaten out of them for 5 episodes*

*Vegeta and Piccolo show up to help; get the living **** beaten out of them for 5 episodes*

*Goku shows up; gets the living **** beaten out of him for two episodes*

*Goku achieves new power; beats villain*

DBZ: How long can Gohan, Krillin, Vegeta, and Piccolo take a beating until Goku arrives to save the day

SergeyX2017 likes this.