main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The One Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Aug 18, 2015.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Good point. With Anakin's scarring taking place before TCW - the two infiltrations would have to be separate - one at the start of the war, one at the end.

If Boba Fett can fall into the Sarlacc 3 times or so, I suppose Quinlan can infiltrate Dooku's side twice.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    As long as Vos is on Saluecami by the end it's fine I would think. Tholme was simply thought dead by all involved. Again. Again again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I've had an idea about the clone wars era canon for some time now that may or may not be silly but hear me out :p

What if LFL agreed to create a "canon compromise" of some sort where certain episodes of TCW are to be considered Legends (except the most vital TCW episodes - enough of the episodes to show that Ahsoka is a padawan to Anakin, Darth Maul is alive, Bariss goes rogue...you get the idea about which episodes I'm talking about; that way all the stories in the new canon like Lords of the Sith, Tarkin, Rebels etc won't be affected at all) and bring parts of the multimedia project that fit with those TCW episodes (Shatterpoint, the micro series, and the Republic comics that deal with Quinlan Vos and most that take place before Anakin is knighted i. e. TCW). Due to the whole Bariss Offee goes bad thing, the medstar duology will stay Legends as well as Obsession among other stories, and episodes like bombad jedi, d-squad, the hunt for ziro [face_sick], r2 and 3po save Padme's birthday party are considered Legends (just to name a few). At the end, the most problematic thing would be Dark Disciple, but one way to fix it is to re-release DD with having the names Quinlan Vos and Tholme replaced with names of new characters - that's all it takes really, the story in that book would virtually be identical.

Wishful thinking too much or do you think it's something that can be achieved? Yeah, I guess it ain't gonna happen, but if it's technically possible...

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't see any problem with Medstar taking place before season 5. I think the Official Fact File article on Barriss actually referenced it, albeit only momentarily as a "mission to Drongar" and mentioning her bota experience.

5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    It's been a while since I've read most of the old clone wars novels, so I don't remember all the details, but good to know that Med Star can fit in

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I like that Boba Fett falling into the Sarlacc 3 times is the measuring stick for whether something doesn't work.

Darkslayer, ATimson and Vthuil like this.
  7. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    but at least you get a plausible explanation for it, instead of having to start whole new book-shelves and trying to explain to your kids why those hundreds of books and comics mean squat from now on ;)

8. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    Idk, I'd rather have Jaina Solo live happily ever after in a non-canon universe than get snuffed out of existence and never have been born.

9. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    But she WAS born, it's just a different time-line. like SW 2.0 or something like that

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Corran Horn. It...it was Corran Horn that they joked about being Han Solo because they were never in the same room together.

Not Kell.

[​IMG]

ATimson likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, sorry there was supposed to be another level to that joke b/c I always used to comment on how I always read Kell in my head the same way I read Corran despite them being completely different characters, with strange results.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh.

[​IMG]

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm impressed you had a follow-up Arrow image though!

Darkslayer and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well my One Canon efforts simply did not require me to read Heir to the Jedi. Luke still loses the girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's some things in it that may be of interest from a "technology progression" point of view - like B-wings in the hands of pirates, some time before Dagger Squadron (the Rebels' earliest B-wing squadron) makes an appearance in the comics.

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    And again, it's very explicit re: "I've never done TK before!"

17. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I read that... disgustingly wrong at first glance.
    That's what you get for growing up on YJK.

18. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The thing about Rebels and Clone Wars is that the properties were being developed before the Great EU Reformation, so they aren't so hard to reconcile for the most part. I'd suggest starting there?

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I would argue that TCW and Rebels, especially TCW, were the beginning of the Great EU Reformation, where the television people started doing their own thing without any regard for what the books and comics had done. Which was only reinforced by the "Legends" business and LFL not allowing the books and comics to drive the direction of the universe for the film people with the ST and TFA.

Davak24 likes this.
  20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    At the same time, LFL was still retconning Clone Wars and existing CW materials. The cartoon rarely broke what came before it - even the stuff about Mandalore introduces a weird wrinkle only to leave an opening for a really neat retcon at the end. For this reason, I think the Filoni material is a good place to start.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's always been some degree of "doing their own thing" with regard to writers. In The Corellia Trilogy, "Imperial remnants" are treated as a myth. In Vision of the Future, they're not.

Or what WEG did with starfighters like the B-Wing, X-wing, and A-wing without regard to how those were portrayed in Droids.

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Your definition of broke is completely different from my definition of broke. Ahsoka, Maul's return, the Separatist major players being neutral, the clone behavior chips, and TCW Mandalore and Dathomir completely broke the Clone Wars for me.

Davak24 likes this.
  23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Broke them in terms of continuity? They may not be decisions we all love but none of them are worse than anything else the EU always already did to itself.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  24. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Zeta1127

That "TCW" also changed a **** load of characters.

And Zeta, you're 100% correct.

Dave Filoni has almost made me what to abandoned the franchise.

25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    None of these things contradicted anything in the older CW material, except for the "major players being neutral" thing, which I think isn't exactly accurate and it's more like they pretended to be neutral while backing the Separatists even though everyone knew they were doing it but couldn't prove it; that kind of thing.

BobaMatt likes this.