main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming SW Card Trader

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darthmaul208, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Hello,
    Recently downloaded Card trader, I am enjoying playing it but haven't actually traded at all yet. I'm looking for people to trade cards with and give me tips.
    Hopefully you can help.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Hi, I am always looking for trades. Same username as here, just without the space. Just let me know it's you in comments.

We totally need a trade thread on here.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  3. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I use the app, too. Add me, StarWarsFreak93.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Just did and sent you a trade.

Also, we can list bad traders here.

Don't trade pancorico, whatever you do. They usually go by "Take all the dupes you WANT, leave what you THINK is RIGHT" and when you fall for that, they try to get your best cards and offer you something nonsensical in return.

I offered them a red for a TFA cards I didn't have, and I knew it was overpaying, since the whole set is worth one yellow at best. They countered it and asked for a rare insert instead. NOPE.

In general, most traders who have ratings of 4 and over thousand of trades are bad news. It doesn't have to be so, but it mostly is.

This subredit is a great place to learn new things:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarstrader/

BookExogorth likes this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Anybody willing to swap sketchcards and storyboards?

BookExogorth likes this.
  6. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    If I had any! Have a look through mine and see if you want.

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The sketches deadline passed five hours ago. By then, I caved in and bought a set of green sketches, ending with seven dupes in the end.

I see you're big on fan's choice cards from the Boba Fett master pack...to me, they're not aesthetically appealing and kinda hard to pull, despite being generally low-count inserts.

Out of current stuff, I really like the Posters of Rebellion and Icons. Light Side is getting annoying - opened so many packs, got only three cards. If you're of better luck and not interested in collecting them, I'd totally want them. :p

But the worst moment was when I opened a total of 75 packs and didn't pull the spectrum base variant Darth Sidious. Tried it from everybody's phones and tablets in this household and NOTHING. Last week was notoriously bad for inserts and timed cards.

8. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    What is the deal with those Spectrum base variants? Rare? How do you get them. I tried trading with a trader who had done a couple with me and I was going to give him a Base Varaint Cad Bane for a Rainbow base variant Magnaguard. He declined and said something inappropriate. 7 didn't understand why because the Cad Bane card was rarer at 16k vs 29k.
    I have been on holiday so I am out of the loop in the packs. Really suprised me how the store has changed now.

Are you sure that is me? I don't remember having any fan's choice cards though I have brought alot of Boba Fett packs.

Should I stick with buying my usual Space McQuarrie Art pack or go for the new ones?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The second thing - d'oh, it was the other person in this thread. I need to remember that you have the same user name everywhere and that they don't.

If you like the Space Paintings, stick to them. I got two from somebody yesterday that I don't need, as I didn't start on time; so if you ever get anything I need (Posters of Rebellion, Light Side, Icons), they're yours. :D

The spectrum base variants pop out of nowhere, usually around midnight for me (Central European Standard Time) and last for 12 hours. The pack costs 500 and there is only a single card inside. Odds are 1:40, I think. Once you've pulled the spectrum base variant card, you can pull the page to refresh and an award pack will be available, with 1:5 odds at pulling a black award variant card. The said pack will contain a gold, yellow, red or blue version of the spectrum card if you fail at pulling the award card.

Greens appear out of nowhere as well, often at the same time as spectrums, making it even harder. They cost 500, too. They last for two hours, the odds are low and once you've pulled a green card, you can pull the page to refresh and an orange card will be available in a free pack, with odds 1:5. I got only one green card, ever, so I don't know what's inside of those orange packs otherwise....probably the same as above.

Purples and browns were awarded to people who completed their series 1 gold sets by a specific day, or a specific day a week after the first deadline.

I do want to get a purple Teebo from somebody else at some point. I don't really go for greens. Spectrums and teals, however...mmm.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  10. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    I'd be keen for this - I think my username is GunnerAU but I'd have to check - I've been trying to do trades but never ever get replies from people :confused: That said, I'm not massively in to it, just doing it for fun to kill time.

11. TARS

TARS Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2014
    Still trying to get that Vintage Han with no avail.

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This is why I try to avoid Marathons in general. But the three worst rip-offs are the pink cards, the Monument chases and that thing with finding a specific gold card at a specific time of a specific day. Just wrong.

13. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    Hey, everybody! I'm fairly active on the app and looking for new trading partners. I'm DieWompRatDie on the app, too, so feel free to add.

I just dabble and do trades to get complete sets, but that's about it. I'm not hard core enough to actually spend money to be able to get the inserts. But you can always hit me up for a trade...I may not always take it, though, but appreciate the effort.

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    DieWompRatDie Glad I found you. I countered you for a strange trade that was not in your favour at all yesterday, but this morning, you sent me another odd one, so...I knew the username was familiar from somewhere.

You seem to be offering me a lot of cards for nothing and since your Force score is about 20 lower than mine, I am not sure why you're overpaying for a plain blue card with a blue, two whites and a yellow?! Just tell me if you need help completing your base sets and I will give you what you need, provided that I have dupes. :)

And read comments. This morning you asked for a non-dupe and I am pretty sure I have it on mom's phone, so I will sort it out, and yesterday, it seems I accidentally gave you a non-dupe, too (yellow Endor Han).

If this happens with other people, it makes sense that your rating is only a little above 3 of 5.

Also, one doesn't need money to get lower parallels of inserts.

Anyway...willing to help you with anything, just ask.

15. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Ewok Poet, thanks for the helpful words.
    I guess my habit of "sweetening the pot" by offering more cards than an even color/number trade goes back to when I was a kid and would have to do that with my brother for Star Wars and baseball cards. He always wanted the better deal. Besides, I have the dupes, so no skin off my back. I'll try and make more even trades, but I'm no expert on what the most even types of trades are, so I'll have to feel it out.

So how can I tell if I'm asking for a card that you have a duplicate of? Is there a way to check? I thought somebody would just let the trade expire if they're not interested or don't have a duplicate. If you know how to improve my trading, I'm all ears. :)

Yeah, I thought by trading more cards for just the one I'm looking for to complete base card sets would improve my rating, but it doesn't appear to be doing that. Strange...

I'm not really looking for inserts. Don't get me wrong, they're cool, but chasing them would take too much time and money I'm not willing to spend.

So you're using the app on yours and your mom's phone? That's a great way to double up on daily credits!

Thanks!

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    OK, let's see...

Cards' Worth

Golds > Yellows > Reds > Blues > Whites

There are some golds of lower count, e.g. Yoda with a lightsaber.

Teals and spectrums stand somewhere between golds and yellows, but when they're new and fresh, people tend to take advantage of that.

Greens are more worth than golds.

Pinks are nonsensical, but there are only ten of each. I wouldn't even go there.

Most people do things like nine whites for a blue, nine blues for a red, nine reds for a yellow and nine yellows for a gold or a lower-count insert (fan's choice, Battlefront).

Episode 7 cards are not worth much (their counts are similar to reds!) and if somebody tries to scam you for those, ignore all the further trades coming from them.

Duplicates or singles?

In order to see if somebody's cards are duplicates, you have to pay attention for the little number showing on the top right of the card. If there is none, they're not duplicates.

Why are packs with inserts better?

- Because they also contain Series 2 base cards. You don't have those in any of the base packs, apart from the Darth Sidious series 2 base pack. There are no awards for Series 2, but I can imagine that there will be, soon.

- Better odds for yellows. It's only 1% for the Boba Fett base pack, while in some insert packs it goes up to seven.

Why trade expiration is not necessarily a good practice?

- Most people on the app are kind of...obsessed and they're more likely to immediately decline the trade or counter it (offer something else or pick something else from your collection.

- If you offer the trade twice and both people accept, you'll lose both the duplicate and the single.

Playing from a family member's phone or tablet?

Keep some things in mind:

- They will catch you if you cycle yellow or red cards to get awards. If you need reds and yellows that your main account doesn't have dupes of, trade the way you normally would.

- Remember to log in every day, so you can get the 7th day credit bonus there, too.

Hoarding:

- To get your trade rating to some decent numer between 4 and 5, you can also hoard a specific white card and exchange the hoards with other hoarders. It's usually 1:1 for series 1 cards and series 2 cards, but if one person hoards series 1 and the other series 2, at this point, I would totally remind them that there are less series 2 whites than series 1 whites. :p

- What is hoarding good for, otherwise? Once in a while, there is monument chase, where you're supposed to gather the largest number of a specific white card within 48 hours. If you're in top 20, your name will be on the back on the special monument card, which will appear in your award collection. That way, you're listed as one of the biggest fans of a particular character.

Some other tips:

- Since you mostly open base packs, I assume that you may have acquired or will acquire a marathon insert. If so, Widevisions, Galactic Moments, Bounty and Topps' Choice cards are worth far more than Fan's Choice. Lock those up. :)

- The only thing your rating depends on is how other people rate you. I have always given you 5s, but I can see that others didn't. And you likely got a lot of 1 stars. Rarely anybody gives 2, 3 or 4.

- The other number, the percentage from 1 to 100 is your Force Score. It depends on the value of your cards. That is where inserts, golds and base variants (teal, spectrum, green, pink...) help

- http://vintagehan.com/forum/ is a great place to meet other traders and learn new things. So is http://reddit.com/r/starwarstrader/ ...but given that people generally suck when it comes to confused newbies, I'd first "graduate" with the info provided here, if I were you. ;)

- Some people do expect "sweetening up the deal", but a) mostly for inserts, golds and base variants, b) you don't have to do that with me, c) when looking at the fan feed, it's pretty easy to see who doesn't mind a good old 1:1 and, once again, there are all those folks who will let you take nine red dupes for one yellow and so on.

Hope this helps for now.

17. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Ewok Poet, thanks for all the great information!

My question is why do I read about certain packs on sale in the Transmissions area, but I don't see them in the Main Cantina. For example, I don't see the Darth Vader Master Pack or Pictogram Packs available to purchase. Any thoughts on that?

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Darth Vader Master Pack and the other Master Packs are there only when you pay. The 3000 coins pack that costs 1 buck unlocks access for one day - but so does the most expensive one. Master packs exist for a bunch of dead sets, but I think they're a rip-off right now, as the number of inserts remaining in those pacs must be two-digit, even one-digit in some cases.

Pictograms and Women of Star Wars were sold within hours of being put online and I have never seen them either. I am starting to fear that this may be their new tactic. I prefer when more sets are up at once, that way this does not happen.

Classic Art pops up for an hour or two when it does, Vintages are a marathon set and therefore available only in specific packs.

19. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Oy. Thanks for the deets. Man, some people are pretty hard core. Good for them and good for Topps for this business model. And, apparently, good for Ebay for those people who have the time, money, and energy to find those types of rare packs.
    I guess I'm okay not being in that tier and being somewhere between amateur and semi-knowledgeable. LOL

Ewok Poet and Darthmaul208 like this.
  20. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    @EwokPoet what is the best time to open packs? I am in England so it will be BST for me.

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    No idea. I see that the credits reset at 11 AM your time, and I usually opened packs then, but now, with this new tactic of Topps', I am more likely to wait until a new card in a specific set is announced. And things like spectrums, greens, pinks and marathon sets drop at very, very random times; usually more favourable for people in other time zones than you and me (one hour ahead of you).

Women of Star Wars just dropped, btw. And I had credits saved for it, yet I didn't pull Sabine Wren, not even after twelve packs. That sucks.

22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Hey I'm on the card trader app as well, username cubman987 (same as here). Feel free to add me or send trade requests; usually only interested in trading my dupes.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Same as most of us, so don't worry. :)

I have been getting some odd trades today, with people offering reds for single inserts and spectrums and I wonder if that was some lurk in this thread.

24. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It might be blind trades....all this week I keep getting random trades from players offering me like 6 white cards for my gold Battle Droid card, used to have that with one of my teals too and the only thing I can figure is I'm top of the list for the blind trade list for those cards.

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I thought about it, but each of those trades was different and these people had Force score close to mine.