main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

fan film CGI help

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WINDSTORM, Jun 2, 2014.

1. WINDSTORM

WINDSTORM Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2004
    Hi, a little over a month ago I posted auditions that were submitted for Episode VII, the material we used was adapted from Troy Denning's book "INVINCIBLE". We had a really good response, even from Troy Denning himself, and have decided to go forward on a fan film project.

We shot most of the project already, and would like to open the fan film with a small space battle after the opening crawl. Thinking we'd like to keep it down to about 20 seconds (if not less) enough to let the audience know where we are and whats going on. (basically a star destoryer pushing through a blockade)

Initially I put out a call for an actual lit up star destoryer model to use as a practical and build the cgi around, but I've had no luck on that route.

I'd appreciate any help that I could get, and can post a few bts photos/stills from the shoot to let everyone know we are trying to make the best film that we can.

2. WINDSTORM

Feb 8, 2004
  3. WINDSTORM

Feb 8, 2004
  4. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Those pictures look great so far! As far as help I'm at the same situation. I have a CG battle that I need done. I have the tools to do it myself but its gonna take a while. I was going to ask for help but I'm going to chip away at it myself. Mine will be longer. Space battle will mix in while ground battle events. I hope you get what you need. Again I like what I'm seeing so far.

5. Thunderstruck2012

Thunderstruck2012 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2011
    Hello.

Just curious what help you are actually trying to get with cgi.
    Are you asking for submissions of this scene?

Star Destroyer running a blockade, at least 20 seconds.
    Is this for commercial use?

Personally I am just an amateur hobbyist. But I have made a few CG shorts of SW's using
    fan made models.

An Example of my last try at SW's

6. WINDSTORM

Feb 8, 2004
    thank you JMaster Luke and Thunderstruck2012.

when all is said in done, I believe this will be like any other fanfilm, released to the web. Because it's Lucasfilm/Disney property, we as fans can't use it for "commercial" use. I'd just call it an homage to the expanded universe or what is now being called legends.

Since I'm pretty much clueless when in comes to CGI, I'd be deferring to someone who has more experience in that arena as to what is possible, and how many people would be needed, and what kind of time frame we are talking about to have it completed.

But yes, the concept is to have a Star Destroyer in the latter parts of breaking through a blockade, I'll attach the ships I'm believing that I'll need for this, they'll be blueprint findings and pictures off the web.

I'm hoping to get a team together, so that the project wouldn't be too overwhelming, and could be completed in a timely fashion.

If anyone is interested in helping out, or already has 3D models that would work for this project, I would appreciate any help you could provide.

This would be taking place during the Galactic Alliance time frame, with Hapan, Chiss, MonCal and Alliance forces. I may be missing ships, but these were the ones that came to mind:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Thunderstruck2012

Jun 1, 2011
    This might be interesting to do.

The video posted is about the best I can offer. The animations and 3d app. aspects.
    The models are fan made for personal usage.
    I know nothing or little of doing post work or Efx-Filters-VFX as in Using After Effects.

Unsure as to the quality you are seeking.

Are you requiring models made? That is not an easy task, let alone finding someone to do it for you.
    Most Star Wars Models have been fan made and are available for personal use.I have a few ready to be used.
    ( as seen in video)

This is something that may interest me in doing, but, I am currently engaged in my BSG project. (1100 hrs to date)
    Also a DVD Video of about 8 Music Recordings for someone,with Gfx, and animations.

A 20 second spot is only 600 frames. Not a lot of footage.
    If what you are after is not too complex it could be done relatively quickly.

Other Videos of Sw's

If you can offer some more info as to what you want, what you are making and how this clip
    will fit into it. What is required for the scene... BG's,scenery etc.
    Am curious if your first image is a draft image of scene.
    The ships:
    Mon calamari, the Hapan ships and that strange looking ufo may not be available.
    SciFi meshes, Foundation3d,C4d Cafe,Scifi3d, are a few sites I frequent that have modelers.
    May be hard pressed to find someone to model them for free, but they may know of an existing
    model available to use for personal use. (Sadly,Scifi meshes Downloads have been down for months.)

Just trying to help. cuz I like making fan films too!

Regards,

Randal R.

8. WINDSTORM

Feb 8, 2004
    Thanks Thunderstruck2012, thank you for those questions!

Yes the first image is the basis of what I'm visualizing. Putting it into motion, as the opening crawl fades, pan down into a battle that is similar to what is pictured in that first image, then lowering on to and eventually into the star destroyer, that is running the blockade. I may be naiive about the 20 seconds to establish this, but definitely no more than 40 seconds, which I am hoping to keep to a minimum, while not sacrificing quality of the project.

from there the action picks up inside the infirmary of the star destroyer as turbolift doors open and our female lead has to deal with guards inside the medical facility.

As for background, I need to open up the book again, and remind myself if there would be a planet in the background (underneath the battle), if not just space, and lots of ships buzzing around circa the battle of coruscant at the beginning of SITH.

The Mon Cal, Hapan and Chiss ships will definitely be the hardest to realize, but I've got my fingers crossed that there may be people who have already put something together, or would be willing to do so. :confused: (The strange looking UFO you refer to, I believe is the second image, which is an artist rendering of the Hapan Battle Dragon, "blueprinted" 3 images below that one.)

I believe we have a strong story, with quality sets and costumes, which will make the film very watchable, but this added scene will help sell the story as a whole, so even though I'm ignorant in the process of CGI/3D animation I'm wanting to put my best effort into the project and hoping that I can convince those with the knowledge and ability (and I've heard great things about those of you who frequent this forum), to join in.

This may be a bit risky in posting this so soon, but I was told I should post a full framed composed shot to garner more interest.

This is an homage shot to McQuarrie's original concept artwork, that we are trying to fit into our choreography (no color timing yet, saber after effects only)

[​IMG]

9. Thunderstruck2012

Jun 1, 2011
    Thanks for adding that, it helped.

If you need any assistance that I can help with, just ask and will try to assist.
    That image helps to imagine it.

Will try and keep my eye out for those models.

10. WINDSTORM

Feb 8, 2004
    Thanks Thunderstruck2012. I'll be chatting with the other producers this next week, see where we are at, and see what we can get going. :)

11. WINDSTORM

Feb 8, 2004
    Thunderstruck2012, just got out of a meeting with the DP and editor. We would like your email address, can you either post it or private message me so I can get it to them?

12. WINDSTORM

Feb 8, 2004
    Looks like the fanfilm awards are back on.. and depending on what the rules are, we may enter.

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-return-of-the-star-wars-fan-film-awards

we are still looking for help on the CG end.. we've got a good chunk in the works, and are looking for people interested in helping out, taking bits of the project, so that nothing is overwhelming.

If you are interested, hit me up here or PM me.

a few of the things that would be helpful

- ship models for EU crafts posted above.
    - ligament removal (this would be our heaviest load, as one of our characters is missing an appendage)
    - room modeling - create a 3D model of 3 rooms. (Dimensions, images and lighting info can be provide)
    - composite to replace green screen with 3D models.

we have a locked cut, and things are looking really good. would like to have our CG completed by halloween.

thanks again, looking forward to hearing and working with talented fan filmmakers. :)

13. WINDSTORM

Feb 8, 2004
    We are nearing completion on our fan film and may need help for our lightsaber and force lightning VFX. Would anyone be interested in helping out?

14. Mithrawnurodo

Mithrawnurodo Jedi Master star 2

Sep 27, 2005
    I might be able to lend a hand with saber rotoscoping and force lightning. PM me with details if you are still looking. I use After Effects CC by the way.

15. WINDSTORM

Feb 8, 2004
    thanks Mithrawnurodo. I PM'd you. we are trying to meet the fan film awards deadline, so hope to hear back quickly. :)

16. WINDSTORM

Feb 8, 2004
    I'll be making my own post, but for those of you following this thread, I just wanted to share the link to the fan film we worked on.

Voting for the 2015 Star Wars Fan Film Awards has officially begun!!!
    Our documentary, directed by Alex Watson of J-Wat Productions gives you a behind-the-scenes look at all the heart and hard work that went into making Legends: Legacy of the Force.

To watch and vote for our submission "Journey of a Fan Film". Please go to http://www.starwars.com/star-wars-fan-film-awards
    You can vote once a day until March 27!!

to vote:

If you don't already have a "disney account" a pop up will come up where you will be asked to first plug in a birthdate and continue, which will pop up a "create your own account" form.

Fill that form out, ... i would uncheck receive updates and special offers unless you want them, and check agree to the terms of use.
    and then you're done!

17. WINDSTORM

Feb 8, 2004
  18. kuatengineer

kuatengineer Jedi Master star 2

Apr 3, 2008
    I watched this about a week ago, and thought it was well done. Loved the book, which is what drew me into watching the film....

19. WINDSTORM

Feb 8, 2004
    Thank you kuatengineer. Please feel free to share on your social network. :)