main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit NU Errors/Mistakes/Continuity Issues

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Endol, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I don't want to come across as all negative but as has happened one year into the new canon, there have been some small errors that have crept in. Mainly human mistakes that can all happen.

I think it would be useful that there is a specific thread for not only highlighting these to the wider community, but also try to resolve them too. (if possible)

There have been some obvious mistakes such as the legendary Darth Voider no less appearing in LOTS (or at least one copy it did) but the latest being the mistake that in Princess Leia #5, she returns to Yavin and Han is still there. Somewhat contradictory to the new Smuggler's Run book.

Also I think Jason Fry alluded to a mistake with Rebels in the Ranks and the message sent out by the rebels in the tv show.

As I said this isn't supposed to be a negative thread but a discussion thread and certainly not intended to be a "bash the new EU - lots of continuity errors all ready" type of thread.

CooperTFN likes this.
  2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I wonder if part of the reson why something like the Yavin thing can happen is that so many "just after ANH" stories get released in such a short time. It's harder for the authors to know all the details, and the little errors can pass through the Story Group.

But these are not the kind of continuity issues that even qualify as issues in my books. When characters die before they should or Luke returns to Tatooine for the third time for the first time, then it's a problem.

JediMatteus, Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  3. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Absolutely I completely agree, at the moment we have minor issues, which if this thread works can all be worked around!

4. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    Can't we just say that Han left and came back?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    That was my impression. Leia left when the evac was just beginning, and returned just as it had ended. And that's when Smuggler's Run takes place, after Han stayed and helped with the evac.

StoryWorthTelling likes this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, still waiting for proof of that.

Anyway, something that will be useful to this conversation: from everything I've seen and heard, from Jason and others, Story Group are not story editors, and they're definitely not line editors. Whether Pablo or Leland are actually catching and fixing small things in book text that we never hear about is debatable, but it's important to understand that theirs is more of a big-picture, executive role--what things should the writers explore/avoid, what makes thematic sense, etc. If a one-sentence/one-page flub like the Jedi Temple being destroyed or Leia going back to Yavin gets through, that's on the writers and editors.

7. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    One thing I can remember off the top of my head is "Sixes" instead of "Fives" from LOTS.

Darth Wookiee likes this.
  8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    • "Star Wars: Card Trader" mentions that Teebo was the Ewok who blow a horn to launch the attack agains the Imperials in ROTJ. Evidence in the movie itself shows that it's a different Ewok.
    • The retelling of ROTJ refers to the Executor as the Eclipse.

9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'll REALLY worry if Vader tells Luke he's his father in Vader Down :p

La Calavera and DelRiego like this.
  10. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    That could be funny. Funnier still if he keeps telling him prior to ESB, similar to the many Dooku-Anakin fights prior to their final fight in ROTS.

Anakin to Dooku: "My powers have doubled since...last Tuesday."

Similarly in ESB. Vader to Luke: "I am STILL your father!"

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    He tells Luke, but then Luke gets hit on the head and has amnesia.

12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    As I just said in the Legends thread, Leland's job was never "continuity police." He's there to offer writers suggestions based on existing continuity and answer questions if the author isn't sure.

But small mistakes by the authors are going to slip through. They do not and have never line edited for continuity.

13. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    All they need to do is send early copies to everyone on this board to make sure no mistakes slip through ;)

DarthStymi, Davak24 and revan772 like this.
  14. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Yes, of course. We would be more then happy to get the books early for our own enjoyment help. ;)

vncredleader likes this.
  15. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    But I thought that there was a story group that would make everything fit seemlessly together without continuity errors? [/sarcasm]

This really does bring up the question of WHY someone in the story group isn't an editor who is charged with finding and fixing these continuity errors. Seems like a gigantic and obvious oversight.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    what purpose do people think the story group exists for

revan772 likes this.
  17. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    We need another group called "The Continuity Police" to stop continuity errors from happening ever again.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think if Star Wars was overly anal about continuity then Vader would never have been Luke's father.

19. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Why's that?

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    it contradicts the first film

21. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Explain

And continuity can be a good thing. Wouldn't you be much happier if Jacen never went dark?

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    ANH said Anakin was dead, and Lucas himself believed it to be true when he wrote it. Inspired as it was, "Anakin = Vader" is a retcon.

23. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    oh my god

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh ****, I didn't spoil it for you, did I?

25. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    See also, the TFN forums.

skypadme94 likes this.