main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Oh bless you. As a warmup, here's an interview I did with Antoine Bandele about Weapon of a Jedi, Star Wars storytelling, becoming a writer and even lightsaber combat forms.

Here's a link for The Secret Academy.

And here's one for Rise of the Empire. (Just got my copy!)

OH. And if you're going to be in New York on Oct. 10, come to this!

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I hate both of you.

(not you, Jason)

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh how I'd like to be at NYCC :(

4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Pfffffft, looks like the Kindle version isn't up yet.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  6. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm personally offended that jasonfry yet again chose to ignore the 1-7 year old demographic while writing these books
    What a poopy pants [face_phbbbbt]

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Aw yiss, I know how I'm spending my afternoon that day at Comic Con. [face_dancing]

jasonfry likes this.
  8. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    The Kindle version of The Secret Academy is available on the pre-order now!

CooperTFN likes this.
  9. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Whew. Fourth time's the charm I guess.

JediMara77 likes this.
  10. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    jasonfry - you have been extremely prolific in the new canon so far - do you ever get feedback from disney and the story group about your books? Also have you asked if you could do an "adult" novel and by that I mean a Del Ray hardback?

King of Alsakan likes this.
  11. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Oh, absolutely. Every book is essentially a partnership wtih folks at LFL/Disney. Typically we'll touch base on a book as the idea takes shape, I'll do a treatment that gets feedback from an editor and Story Group, and then of course the manuscript goes through an editor, Story Group review and a copy editor. The primary focus of that feedback is making sure the story is as rich and well-executed as possible, though there will also be notes on style, continuity, etc. And sometimes as an author I'll ask for help/guidance/a ruling -- it's not all yes/no feedback that only goes one way.

I'd love to write an "adult" novel for Del Rey, and have made that interest clear. But there are a lot of talented folks with the same wish.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ...hm. We were actually just talking about this in the "NU Errors" thread the other day and the above seems at odds with what I understood to be the case after, well, talking to you about it previously. :p

Am I getting part of this wrong?

13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Got my pre-order in for TSA.

[​IMG]

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

I can only speak to my experience, but while I agree they aren't line editors, they'll certainly flag things if they see them. Suspect it's more about what their priorities are and how they allocate their time, which is finite as anyone else's. So, no, I don't think you're wrong; but there aren't absolutes. I'll also note that this is a fairly new process and evolving.

CooperTFN likes this.
  15. Basilews

Basilews Jedi Master star 1

Jun 24, 2003
    Jason, wanted to ask something about 2&3rd books of Servants of the Empire. These cadets, you know...:) "Rykoff" is definitely a Russian surname, "Kabak" is "a tavern", Oleg is a common Russian name, and "Nazhros" seems to be derived from a Russian word meaning "to get drunk". Was that intentional? One may think that Lothal has a big community of Russkies.

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Ooh, a names question! I love those!

Rykoff and Kabak are baseball blogger friends of mine; I slipped their names into the book for them to find one day, which is a doofy thing I do to amuse myself. Oleg came from the show. I made up Nazhros going by sound alone.

So nothing intentional there. Just a coincidence that the names all are or sound Russian.

Gamiel and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Ah, I was kind of hoping that Rykoff was a little homage to the long-running series of Star Wars photo-novels by Chewie (hosted at Yakface.com, though they can be found elsewhere...) whose main character is named "Rykrof." Figured it was a long shot, but that's what it reminded me of.

Really impatient for this next Servants of the Empire book to get to me....

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    jasonfry

I believe you refer to Duros appearing "gray-green" in coloration. Was that a conscious effort to link them to their Neimoidian cousins or in the new canon is it safe to assume all Duros are simply blue with red eyes?

--Adm. Nick

19. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I must have completely missed the announcement a few days ago I guess, but so glad to see jasonfry working on a new Incredible Cross Sections book :) One of my favorite book lines ever, the early ones definitely influenced me to become an engineer. Can't wait for some interesting technical and Galaxy building tidbits.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

my empire if we *never* talk about Duros ever again on this board! [face_tired]

:p

21. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Cad Banes okay though, right? I mean, he's a Chiss, I think they're different.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No we won't. This is Jason's thread. Stay on topic.

(I will take any excuse to end this line of discussion.)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    While I obviously can't comment on Jason's intent, I should point out that green-skinned Duros aren't exactly new. If memory serves, there are some in TOR and I'm sure there are other sources that depict them as well.

25. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    I'd like to begin by saying that I'm a 38 y/o guy (born in '77) and lifelong Star Wars fan...and I LOVED this book/novella (is it a novella? I'm not sure of the word count). It was a blast from start to finish. No fuss or muss, just good Star Wars storytelling!

So Kudos Mr. Fry, this was awesome and you should be exceedingly proud of your tale.

I loved the little nods to the Old Republic and Clone Wars...but I had one question/hope...

The alien Jedi with the tentacles Luke sees/embodies in his dream of the temple. That's Kit Fisto right? Please say that's Kit Fisto...cause that would be AWESOME!