main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    We don't want your empire. It's all dusty.

2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I think it's more likely
    Knox
    [​IMG]
    Who was killed by Savage at the Eedit Temple in TCW.

Revanfan1, Lord Nikon and darthosaka like this.
  3. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Re Nautolans, yeah, it's the [second spoiler one].

Re Duros, I always thought they were gray-green. If not that's me being color-blind, not some kind of new canon.

Lord Nikon and darthosaka like this.
  4. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Holy crap, I didn't even realize that was from TCW. :oops:

my kind of scum likes this.
  5. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    The two in the cantina certainly looked grey-green to me (maybe with a hint of blue). I always thought it was odd that they went so blue with cad bane.

LelalMekha likes this.
  6. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Ah! Okay, that's cool. I knew the description was a Nautolan, and apparently I need to catch up on my TCW re-watch.

Thanks for the answer!

7. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    You're welcome! It was fun tying that stuff together -- the material about Eedit draws on TCW, of course, but also on the webcomic set on Devaron.

In the first draft, BTW, Artoo found a recording and Luke saw bits of the attack on the temple and even glimpsed Anakin, though only from the back. But we cut it -- it took us out of the fairy-tale feel of the rest of the book and detracted from Luke's struggle to figure things out on his own. And in hindsight was a bit too fan-servicey. I grumbled a bit at the time but it was the right decision.

8. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I think that was a wise idea. every fan appreciates a nod here and there, but if it is overloaded, as you said it can feel too fan servicey and you don't want it to compromise the story.

spicer likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, it's been done.
    [​IMG]
    :p

10. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Howdy! My sked for New York Comic-Con and Star Wars Reads Day. This Saturday, Oct. 10! Hope to see some folks at Javits and/or in Maplewood!

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Apparently they are both, lol.

[​IMG]

But hey, I like it when species have multiple colors. Duros diversity for the win!!

--Adm. Nick

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think the one on the right is Cad Bane. :p

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not to mention, Nick, Gar Stazi was always consistently drawn with a greenish skin tone.

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    He actually varied a lot. Sometimes he looked downright gray, other times bluish, and sometimes with a green hue.

Alas, Gar Stazi. The one real casualty of the EU reboot. RIP Gar.

--Adm. Nick

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    My avatar is glaring at you.

JediMara77 and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Fine. I'll also add Tycho Celchu, Winter, and the MC80B cruiser. Yes, I mentioned a Star Cruiser. Deal with it.

jasonfry

Referencing the MC80B will earn you a month's free mortgage/beer. Just send me the bill, lol. :p

--Adm. Nick

darthosaka likes this.
  17. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    My avatar is literally glaring at you all.

(But I agree that Tycho makes the most sense to return.)

CooperTFN likes this.
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Tycho is one of those characters who I feel like the only reason for them not to recanonize would be that they were prominent enough it might be more trouble that it's worth.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    OK fine we can recanonize the NR dress uniform too, happy? ;)

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    jasonfry and CooperTFN like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I tried to phrase the Qs to address the shenanigans in book 2 of Jupiter Pirates while being as spoiler-light as possible. The book's been out for a while, but as ever I believe in ppl reading things unspoiled.

I was very excited to read the stuff about Earth -- good to hear we'll be learning more about it. I'm a sucker for royal courts.

New cover reveal was a pleasant surprise -- glad to see all three kids on a cover!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

jasonfry and Gorefiend like this.
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Wait, there are shenanigans in it? God, now I feel like I know everything.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's possible I was vaguer than I needed to be, as I forget not everybody is as spoiler-sensitive as I am. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I appreciate the courtesy even though this is not a case where I'm personally afraid of spoilers. But there are some such cases for me, and many more for other people, and no way to know beforehand if the books belong to the second group for any of the readers.

25. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Hi jasonfry - I see that you are down to be writing Rey's Survival Guide -

Complete with stories, secrets, and insights, this guide will immerse readers in the world of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Discover what you need to survive the hostile planet, Jakku. What secrets lurk in the ship graveyard? What do you want to salvage? What should you avoid to stay alive? Includes gatefolds with exclusive artifacts including starship schematics and more".
    This is being published by Studiofun who have so far contributed to the canon with Ezra's Rebel Journal & Sabine's Rebel Sketchbook. Both were high quality books and I have no doubt the new one will follow suit.
    My question, if you are able to answer is whether, like the above 2 are there any new story elements in the Survivial Guide?
    Rebel Journal documents 70 days prior to Ezra's Gamble and Rebel Sketchbook talks about an attack on an imperial target before they meet Ezra. Is there going to be any nice surprises like this in your book?
    many thanks,