main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (or Beatles) thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Grand_Admiral_Grant, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Across the Universe, the movie, was kind of a waste of decent time, but I absolutely love Joe Cocker's performance of Come Together. And T.V. Carpio's yearning I Wanna Hold Your Hand. I just heard that one again this week on an old episode of Coverville I was listening too. I know some people don't like this trend of people turning once exuberant songs into melancholy laments, but I just think it really works in this instance and the lesbian angle really works too. For some reason. I guess just the strength of Carpio's performance.

jp-30 likes this.
  2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What about Wings songs?

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    [face_plain]

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  4. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    They are underrated. If you see the kind of praise that was heaped on 'the great' Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes last week, a collection of silly throwaways such as "Quinn the Eskimo", "Million Dollar Bash", "Kickin' My Dog Around"--songs that would have been regarded as Wings' most embarrassing had McCartney written them--if you see that, you have to conclude that Wings' output has too often been unfairly dismissed as lightweight fodder. It wasn't like McCartney suddenly, magically, lost his talent when The Beatles disbanded. Plus lightweight fodder was their strength.

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  6. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    tantamount to holocaust denial, that

7. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I almost have to applaud how audaciously stupid that is.

8. wall of sick

Sep 9, 2014

i like to say that mccartney was the only true experimental musician in the beatles, and he carried on in that tradition afterwards.

Debo and jp-30 like this.
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    In what way does Lennon fail to meet the criteria of "true experimental musician?" Your use of the modifer "true" makes me think that you feel Lennon was maybe just innovative in a sort faux fashion without having . . . well, anyway, it makes me think you have a reason for thinking that Lennon wasn't and I'm curious to hear it.

10. wall of sick

Sep 9, 2014
    welp, i think yoko was more fully in the avant-garde/experimental headspace and john's involvement in some of that stuff was more of a reflection of his infatuation with her than of any real interest in it on his part. also i think it was more of a tool with which to attack his beatle past. sort of like hey beatles fans fugg you check out this noisy thing i'm doing now with yoko you like that huh? a vehicle for the bile and the anger. i mean don't get me wrong, i love the guy and the incredible emotional depth in his work. he was unquestionably brilliant. but i think mccartney was more involved in exploring form and playing with it and breaking it down and innovating. yes, the music is often light and very accessible in nature, but i don't think that means it can't be considered experimental. it was REALLY experimental! the earlier stuff especially. i'm not implying that you specifically think it isn't experimental because it is light/accessible, i'm just addressing the general view that seems to have coalesced around his work.

Debo and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  11. wall of sick

Sep 9, 2014
    john lennon's elephant fart guitar playing on yoko's "walking on thin ice" is some of the sickest **** i've ever heard. no doubt about that.

Debo likes this.
  12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Mar17swgirl likes this.
  13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah we didn't get to that concert, but we are going to his gig in Birmingham on Wednesday. :D Hopefully the set won't be too different to last night.

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I've been listening to some of the more trippy Beatles songs lately, like Tomorrow Never Knows, It's All Too Much and Blue Jay Way. I'm mostly a fan of George Harrison's work Beatles wise, but I respect everyone's contributions.

I've got It's All Too Much on my iPhone, this song always stuck with me from the time I saw Yellow Submarine as a little girl. Funny how the Beatles songs most influenced by acid and 60s metaphysical stuff stick with me when I'm such a straight edge. :p (but I am pretty much Captain Paradox.) I think the otherworldly feeling is what still draws me to these songs.

15. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Don't forget that we still need to hear Carnival Of Light which is said to be a psychedelic music collage by McCartney. Kind of like his Liverpool Sound Collage album.

16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    If we admit Wings songs are good, we have to wonder how to judge 80s McCartney albums.

Here's an 80s McCartney track I love, because it's so 80s and so un-McCartney. It was his first single that didn't become a hit.

]

Debo likes this.
  17. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    That album had some strong ideas. I like the eerie atmosphere of Footprints.

18. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    The best cut from that album is Stranglehold

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    God, that over-produced, synth-heavy sound. Thanks, 1980's.

SuperWatto likes this.
  20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    There's no adjective sufficient enough to describe the amazingness of that concert. Absolutely fantastic. I'm completely hoarse, utterly knackered, and I'll have to get through the rest of the week on caffeine alone, but I don't care. Thank you, Sir Paul.

Debo and Everton like this.
  22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think you're reading the list wrong. he did play mr. kite though.

harpua likes this.
  23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  24. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I disagree. It's snide and disrespectful, not to mention self-contradictory. The author of the article complains McCartney has nothing interesting to say, then proceeds to list the things McCartney said that he personally finds interesting. What the huh?

Debo likes this.
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000

So, this disastrous cover is ten years old. I'd forgotten about it and then stumbled on it while messing around in YouTube the other day. God, it's so bad.

Admiral Volshe likes this.