main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit NU Errors/Mistakes/Continuity Issues

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Endol, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It wasn't in Legends either.

2. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Inferred from TEGTW, battlecruisers were a smaller kind of SSD, so it kinda was. But that was then, now everything from heavy/mainline cruisers, to battlecruisers, to dreadnoughts in the Empire were referred to as Star Destroyers (from The Levers of Power) and only ships of the Executor-class were referred to, additionally, as Super Star Destroyers.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Jason Fry, re: SSDs at Endor:

http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2015/10/our-journey-with-jason-fry-part-two/

4. macewindu99

macewindu99 Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2015
    Well, I think I may have just uncovered another continuity error. We know that in Revenge of the Sith, we see that the 12 council members are Plo Koon, Mace Windu, Yoda, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Obi-Wan, Agen Kolar, Anakin, Coleman Kcaj, Saesee Tiin, Kit Fisto, Shaak Ti, and Stass Allie. However, in Kanan #1, Caleb yells at Janus Kasmir, saying "Master Depa Billaba, A member of the Jedi High Council!". Yet we know she isn't on the council anymore. Now we know Depa came out of "whatever it was she came out of", but that still doesn't explain why Caleb refers to her as being a member of the council. Hmmm...

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe they just didn't bother to add an extra seat?

6. macewindu99

Apr 20, 2015
    Well in both scenes in Revenge of the Sith, there are 12 seats, which is the only number there has ever been.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Which is the idea - if Depa was out of action - somebody was appointed to her seat - then she was restored suddenly - there are now 13 Council Masters but only 12 seats.

8. macewindu99

Apr 20, 2015
    I get what you're saying, but that doesn't make sense from a timeline standpoint. Depa came back a few months before Order 66, while the last council meeting (with 12 seats), happened about an hour or two before Order 66.

EDIT: Sorry, I read your post wrong. I suppose you could be right, that she was a member, but they didn't have a seat for her.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Or once a councilor, always a councilor--like how ex-presidents are still called "Mr. President".

10. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Exactly. I was just about to mention that. There's your answer, macewindu99.

11. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Not to make fun of Jason, but this line: "If you want lots of SSDs in Imperial service that’s fine, but you can’t get there by saying they were lurking just off-screen at Endor, because you’re undermining the film that’s the heart of all that storytelling." comes from the same author who put an entire fleet of Interdictors "just off-screen" in a recent Endor short story. If we go by Rebels, Tarkin and HTTJ, there's like half a dozen Interdictors in the entire Empire. Would their presence at Endor then undermine the storytelling? :p

But I get what he's saying about stuffing them into one place.

Gamiel and jasonfry like this.
  12. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I think the difference is that the Executor plays a large role in the Battle of Endor. By putting note SSDs in the battle, then the Executor is less important and its destruction is less significant. It holds a central role in the Battle as portrayed in the movie. Interdictors, on the other hand, are not that powerful and don't change the course of the battle. So they don't have an impact on the storytelling. I guess there's the issue of Ackbar ordering a retreat before Lando says it's not a good idea. However this can be explained by the interdictors being hidden from the Rebels as part of a more elaborate trap. It doesn't lessen the impact of ROTJ but it does add to the battle.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    True, but mostly from the perspective that the new lore seems to want SSDs to be "Executors and that's it", which I'm fine with. We do get separate types of Star Destroyers with the mention of the battlecruiser in the same short story. I wouldn't want two or three actual Executors showing up, so in the Eclipse discussion I was mostly hoping that if it was not a mistake, this Eclipse would be a smaller ship, so not to take away from the film. :)

And I would argue that having a fleet of Interdictors there to stop the entire Rebel fleet from escaping, would constitute some form of "breach" of the film, since the aforementioned Ackbar's retreat. I never really liked that idea for the battle in the old lore, but I have no problem with them being brought in for the new lore. Thanks to many mentions and a future appearance on Rebels, Interdictors are being pushed into the limelight and I'm sure someone down the line would ask why they weren't in ROTJ. Then we can point to Jason's story. You know what? This deal's getting better all the time. :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  14. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Regarding Ackbar's line of, "We saw it -- All craft prepare to retreat" before ostensibly disengaging to make for hyperspace, it's possible that the Interdictors were still moving in from a certain distance, and their gravity well generators take a minute or two to fire up to capacity (as we know from Heir To The Empire -- yes, so sue me for using a Legends reference.)

If jump coordinates were calculated fast enough, there could possibly be time for a good chunk of the Rebel Fleet to escape before they were fully ensnared. Had it come to that.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Or "retreat" could just mean "engage the Interdictors". I haven't read Levers yet but I could see the Rebel fleet making mincemeat of them if the battle were far enough away from the main Imp force.

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  16. Matthew_Wolverine

Matthew_Wolverine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned, but Lost Stars claims that Admiral Ackbar is taller than any human. I'm pretty sure this is a mistake. He's never seemed that tall on screen including his appearance in The Force Awakens.

17. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Apologize if this has already been asked (I don't think it has though). In Battlefront: Twilight Company, mention is made of Leia being chased around the galaxy. My thought is that this puts the last portion of this book around the same time as Moving Target. However, Nien Numb is in both books, in completely separate parts of the galaxy. Now, I haven't finished B:TC yet, so maybe this is answered. But maybe I'm just misinterpreting something?

18. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    My impression is that the second part of the book takes place mostly during Han and Leia's trip to Bespin which should have taken at least a few weeks (but it may have been as long as three months). That would explain Nien Nunb's appearances and the fact that the Rebellion doesn't seem to have regrouped by the end of the book, which we see them do in the end of ESB. Of course it could be argued that Namir and company simply don't know this for whatever reason, but this is my take on it.

Taalcon likes this.
  19. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015

That makes a lot of sense. For some reason, I completely forgot about anything in ESB after Hoth when reading this book. That's embarrassing...

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  21. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    A minor typographical error is in Rey's Story. When Rey is explaining to BB8 where to go, the book calls it Carbon Ridge as opposed to Kelvin Ridge

22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I don't know if this was mentioned, but the trailer for Rogue One shows
    the superlaser added onto an already completed Death Star. However, the canon Tarkin novel has a back cover with the superlaser already attached to the Death Star while everything is still under construction:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given how narrow the equator borders are on that one - I think they actually used the second Death Star as a basis for that art. I wouldn't worry too much about cover art in this case - a certain amount of artistic licence is to be expected.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. The Corellian President

The Corellian President Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    Not really an error, though. Pablo pointed out on twitter right after the trailer was released that the last shot of the death star in ROTS was just the framework - the trailer shows the finished project, akin to plugging in a lightbulb into its socket.

25. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Maybe they needed to temporarily remove that peice to widen the exhaust vents.