main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London Gatherings for The Force Awakens?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by dasweallycool, Nov 11, 2014.

1. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Thanks, you too.

I think midnight/00:01 will be the first screening. Vue has times up already and have that listed on 16th as the first screening (though I'm pretty sure they mean 00:01 on 17th lol). The 7pm pre-midnight screening seems to be a US thing.

Edit - and this is the part where I start feeling nervous. Got 2 hotel rooms booked, train tickets booked and 4 friends relying on me to score midnight IMAX tickets in the morning! Keeping everything crossed and praying the Force is with me tomorrow!

2. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    And booked! Now I can relax :)

Empire Leicester Square IMAX 3D 00:05 17th December!

theycallmemrglass likes this.
  3. theycallmemrglass

theycallmemrglass Jedi Knight

Jan 5, 2006
    Me too! Phew!

ChrisLyne likes this.
  4. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    17th 00:05 is all booked. :( http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Was looking forward to this since I'll be in London on 17th-19th Dec.

Any plans for other dates for those who failed to grab the tickets?

5. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Can't speak for others but BFI IMAX was my midnight back up. Not sure what tickets are like there as Odeon has apparently been having technical issues all morning. Alternatively Empire Leicester Square has a2nd IMAX showing around 3am and Odeon Leicester Square has normal (non IMAX) 2D & 3D midnight screenings listed.

6. theycallmemrglass

Jan 5, 2006
    There is also Cineworld O2 with plenty of tickets and showings for their Superscreen (which is a great huge screen in its own right). As I have an unlimited card, I actually already booked two more shows at the O2 for myself and I saw a lot of seats remaining even for the midnight shows. However, I went for 2D because I would have already had my fill of 3D at the Empire screening...I actually prefer films in 2D but when its a huge event movie like this, I want to be where the fans are :)

7. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Haha congrats to those who got the tickets they wanted. Alas, because of work, the earliest I can get to a cinema is the evening of 17 December, so I've booked myself into Empire Leicester Square for the 22:15 showing ;)

8. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Sorry to hear that Raj, hope you manage to avoid spoilers during the day and have a great showing that evening

9. theycallmemrglass

Jan 5, 2006
    Well done you too, your screening will be a great vibe at a less sleepier time!

10. fizzbin

fizzbin Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    I've just booked up for the 15:45 showing...

11. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Hope you have a great showing

fizzbin likes this.
  12. fizzbin

Mar 21, 2005
    They are having an 00:01 showing at 7 screens at my local Vue, so I might go to that too.[face_blush]

ChrisLyne likes this.
  13. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Do it!!

Wish I had an extra IMAX ticket for you. I didn't think to get any extras as I didn't think they'd sell out so quickly with everywhere doing midnight screenings.

fizzbin likes this.
  14. fizzbin

Mar 21, 2005
    I've booked at my local Picture House for 00:01, smaller screen than the Vue but half the price & easier to get home in the middle of the night.

15. AustrianFarmboy

AustrianFarmboy Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2015
    I have booked for December 18th 11:15 (17th were already gone when I Booked) at BFI Imax if anyone is going there

16. Jazzatola

Jazzatola Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 16, 2001
    I've had three children since ROTS came out so the days of midnight screenings are now behind me. For TFA, I'm going to the 10:15am showing on the 17th at the Vue, Finchley Road in London. Then I'm seeing it again at 14:45! WooHoo! [face_dancing]

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm considering a similar-timed morning showing at my local Vue. I'll probably see about tickets next time I'm up in town.

18. Big Mac

Big Mac Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2015
    Help me Jedi Council Forums. You're my only hope.

My "Star Wars Friend™", who always goes to see every Star Wars film with me said he was going with someone else, when I spoke to him about Episode VII a couple of months ago.

Then I got as sick as a parrot and busy at work. (And I've even had a little bit of Star Wars Fatigue, from being overloaded with hype, while trying to work out who to go see the film with. Star Wars Fatigue sucks, as I really like Star Wars, and don't want to be zoned out when I go to see the actual film, so I'm trying to ration myself and then come back to look at the various theories about what a three pronged lightsaber are after I've seen the film.)

So, it is now a few days before the film, and I feel like I just got out of the Bacta tank and...

...I probably will not be able to get a ticket for the opening night. But, I need to see this before some Internet troll tells me the plot.

I've seen mentions of the London cinemas that might or might not be showing Episode VII. Has anyone done any research to work out which ones have it, which are IMAX, which are 3D and which are 2D? And more importantly, which cinemas still have tickets for the opening night and/or the days afterwards?

A guy I work with, said I could go see the film with him, but I'm not sure if he has sorted that out yet, or where he was planning to see it. So I'm not sure if I would need to book a hotel or anything to go with him (or if I could still get a seat).

Jazzatola mentioned daytime showings, but I didn't consider that, and it will be too late for me to arrange to get time off work. I should have thought about that earlier and gone for one of them, as I bet they will still have some empty seats.

I also saw someone mention the Odeon Marble Arch. I can highly recommend that cinema. I've seen some science ficiton films there and it has a great atmosphere. I even ran over there once, from Leicester Square, after discovering that Leicester Square was totally booked for the entire day and sat in a cinema with just one other person watching the first showing of a really popular film. (That was like getting a "no" from Leicester Square and then winning a "private viewing" from Marble Arch as a consultation prize, so I've got a lot of time for that cinema.)

It takes me about 2 hours to get home on the night bus...or 45 minutes to walk home from Clapham Junction if the trains are still running from Victoria, so hopefully I can avoid a hotel.

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think I did read in the papers today that some of the London Odeons are sold out for first showings, so you might want to find out for sure before traveling into town.. I'm outside of London so I'm going to a 3D show at the local Vue on Thursday morning. They have enough showings so I'm not too worried about a ticket.

20. Big Mac

Big Mac Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2015
    Thanks Laj Fett.

I think I better do my research.

21. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Hype overload! Still feels surreal, can't believe the day is finally here!

Said goodbye to the old EU last night, reading the end of The Unifying Force one more time, gonna watch the ending of ROTJ again this morning then it's off to London to begin a new chapter in the saga!

Can't wait to join you all on this crazy new adventure!

Big Mac likes this.
  22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm seeing it at 3am Thursday morning in the Empire IMAX.

Here's a review, a wonderfully positive one

Star Wars: The Force Awakens review – a spectacular homecoming

http://gu.com/p/4f3t8?

23. OmicronDeltaRho

OmicronDeltaRho Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2015
    Hey y'all, glad I stumbled acoss this thread; a bit late, perhaps, but the perfect excuse for my first post!
    I'll be watching it at the Leicester Square Empire at midnight, I'll be heading there in a while (I live 15-20 mins away). Apparently the Premiere got underway a while ago, at least the livestream of it did.
    I know a few of us will be seeing it at Leicester Square today; are there any plans to meet up, maybe head out for drinks after, and is anyone going in cosplay?

Big Mac likes this.
  24. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Sorry OmicronDeltaRho, saw this too late to say anything but I don't think there was any meet up (at least I didn't hear of one) but plenty of people in costumes (me included)

Loved the film, can't wait to see it again!

Big Mac likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Saw it at the local Vue this morning - very good! I recommend paying extra for the 3D - it was worth it. Cinema was about 1/3 full at a 9:45 AM showing - no problem getting tickets.

Big Mac likes this.