main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Improving Traffic on these boards

Discussion in 'Communications' started by beezel26, Jun 1, 2014.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    As we well know the boards died off sharply after the last movie. As we know the extra movies and series didn't do a lot but they did help. With the new movies coming out we have the potential for new users. But back in 05 Facebook was just beginning and not big enough to be a threat. Now it is like the Walmart and we are the small business. Barely able to survive. So how do we attract traffic?
    I would like this to be an honest and open conversation about improving traffic to all areas of the force.net and JC forums. Let's face it we need more people to keep the lights on. But how do we do it?
    Even though I am not a fan of facebook we still have an active presence. But after every announcement is made about the movie on Facebook and the Force.net where do we direct traffic to. Should we just have a few comments listed under every announcement or could we direct them to particular forums with Moderator stickied threads detailing the announcement. That way everyone who wants to comment can post to the forum and see more threads. Thus they stay longer and more add revenue. Every announcement and every picture should elicit a response from us and redirect to the forums.

Like I said I want this to be an honest and open conversation about improving traffic and what can be done. Not mocking the users or putting your head in the sand. If you don't own the website then you are a guest. If you do then by all means stick in your head in the sand if you want. So please contribute, any ideas would be appreciated. The lights are not free. Maybe we won't have so many blackouts if we get improved traffic.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    "Don't fish eat other fish?" There's always a bigger fish. Let's find them, team up, and eat FB. Just like we did Starwars.com's message board. They never saw it coming. Even their offshoot boards didn't survive. We scoured the lot of 'em. Wookieepedia even says we're currently the 28th largest internet forum, according to some website I can't get to load.

Let's convince Philip Wise to team with MySpace. It's currently owned by Justin Timberlake and he was in AOTC or something, right? So he's already on our side. We can hand him the largest Star Wars community on the internetz. And the 28th largest forum. No way he can say no to that. Throw 22 million 144 thousand something posts in his lap and crown him King of the Nerds.

Then we'll be ready to take on FB.

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Simple. Start gender threads. They seem to come far and wide for them.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Beezel, I don't really think new users are going to warm to your threads sorry.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    When I saw the title of this thread under the Latest Post for Comms I thought, "That must be a beezel thread."

Point Given likes this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It... actually works the other way round, you know.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Freaking r/movies killed our server. There are limits to what we can handle.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Then why do you have an account there? It's one thing to be there & ponder the proliferation of related board activity (as it relates to slow traffic here on the JC), it's another thing entirely to be a part of a site that you actively have contempt for, ie being part of that FB problem... unless of course you're a social media masochist, then by all means use FB!

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The only thing that could save this place would be regular new Star Wars movies. Can't see that happening though.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    We've continued to get lots of new users here ever since the new movies were announced.

GGrievous likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Thats why I ended up here is because they shut the Starwars.com message boards and guides down damn I miss that but its better here.

Anyway look at how the teaser just came out and look at how many people are joining now.

12. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Your welcome for what happened to your offshoot boards. :)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

I am because there are no trolls here and there I shiver at it.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  15. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    I've been looking for that site stating it is 28th largest and I can't find it. Is that still true today? I see the link of Wookieepedia and etc and I can't visit it.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The title of this thread cracks me up every time I see it.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Heh yeah that was the joke -- even if we did get that ersatz website to load, I find it hard to believe that was ever true.

18. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We actually have more posts here than a lot of the sites listed on the "top forums" lists. But TF.N has waaay less traffic. For example, MacRumors is 1029th on Alexa. We're 55,585th. :p

19. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I missed those SW message boards completely. But I remember the TCW comments threads that became a community and refuge for fans- the first one I joined. Are they the offshoot boards you mention?

Start a Legends fan project with new Fanfiction books released. Honestly jump in and do it.

20. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    ^Go to the literature board. That's where the fun is.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  21. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Get a source in production and post leaks, set photos, etc. Turn back the clock. Poor TF.n. It's a dusty burg now.

22. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Would help if TFN didn't crash whenever new stuff happens and a bunch of people all try to talk about it here :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah, I'd say we have enough traffic already. :p

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Wow not even I know what I wrote here.:p

Seriously I want to ask myself what I was doing.

We get black outs on the monthly now.:p

I am scared for what comes on the 18th

jcgoble3 likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    One good thing about the actual film release is that it won't hit the internet in one fell swoop due to time differences, unlike the trailers.

jcgoble3 likes this.