main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph David Bowie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Jan 7, 2013.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I just picked up the album tonight, it's my first ever David Bowie album (apart from the Best Of Bowie compilation I have). Regarding the compilation, already by listening to this album I get a sense of how a compilation of Bowie does little justice to sum up why he's a brilliant artist. Truthfully, I got the compilation back around five years ago and only ended up giving it a total of a dozen listens after I got the satisfaction from the hits I was listening for. Whereas, with The Next Day, the listen is so much more affecting because each idea bleeds into the next. Although I know very little about Bowie, I get the impression that when he writes songs, he writes them as part of a bigger picture rather than one-shot gimmicks which is why a compilation does little to sum him up given that each of the tracks are from completely different states of artistic consciousness in Bowie's mind.

As for The Next Day, I love it. I'm halfway through the album now and just blown away. The Next Day, The Stars, Love Is Lost and Valentines Day are the standout tracks so far. Even Where Are We Now has grown on me now that it exists within the context of the album. The varied modern groove of each track makes me forget that I am listening to an artist in his mid 60s. Just incredible. I love this album and I now truly love Bowie. I'm now a fan.

Where to next?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Go back to the Berlin trilogy - Low, Heroes and Lodger, they're the albums The Next Day are a response to.

I actually came here to post this, though.

[​IMG]

jedinightwing likes this.
  3. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  4. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Oh the shades of Station to Station <3
    God Damnit I freakin Love Bowie <3

Edit: Can we just have a David Bowie Appreciation Thread?

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    You're in it.

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    ^ Ricky Gervais, get out of it, you dirty...

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've been listening to The Next Day Extra lately. It's the original Next Day album with an extra disc of some b-sides and remixes. I just mean, there's just a lot to love here, but I think Love is Lost is just clearly the song that just instantly takes its place alongside his very best material. Anyone else would treat that song like a joke, but Bowie's dead serious and the song just has this pounding insistence, this merciless, plodding masterpiece. It just comes in and implacably destroys your life.

The bonus disc has a phenomenal remix of it by James Murphy (of LCD Soundsystem) that's ten minutes long. It's . . . amazing, probably the best thing on the bonus disc.

Sometime this year, I've got to get that latest retrospective set, the career spanning one.

10. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    If his tour comes to Australia (anywhere in it, at any point) The Bigger Fish promised me tickets. I better get them. This is serious business. [face_plain]

11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Are you guys really getting excited by an article that's two years old to the day?

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The thread is also two years old, man.

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Haha, I guess he's been rehearsing for this tour quite a lot.

14. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000

[​IMG]

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Since the favourite albums thread reminded me I have only a few Bowie albums, I've been listening to some on the web. I've gotta say Low is an unexpected delight for me. Not previously familiar with anything from this album, but it's great.

Frank T. likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Would he ever go back into acting? His cameo in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me was delightful.

18. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Really? "Sound + Vision" gets a good workout usually 'round these parts.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    He has such charisma. He's wonderful in The Prestige too.

On another note, I'm currently listening to the three disc deluxe edition of Nothing Has Changed, a new retrospective. Fifty-nine Bowie songs . . . I'm loving it. And, in an interesting twist on the "best of collection" this album moves in reverse order. It starts with a new song, then three songs from The Next Day, his last proper album, and then moves backwards ending up with a couple of tracks released when he was still going by his real name, David Jones, in the early sixties. And it's got radio versions of some songs and remixes of some others and a few tracks from the often bootlegged but never officially released Toy album, which he was planning to release before Heathen. So it's got some rarities and different versions of songs which keeps it from just being a replay of his greatest hits.

20. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I stopped listening to the radio twenty years ago. I'd probably heard Sound + Vision once or twice before, but it was not familiar like most of Bowie's hits.

21. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    New album in 2016 to coincide with David's birthday:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...tedly-sounds-completely-bonkers-a6708141.html

Plus a very small hint of what to expect:

Although it's only about 45 seconds of music, I really like what I hear because it grabs me more than Where Are We Now did when that was used to promote The Next Day (the album was quite spectacular despite my disappointment of the lead single). But in typical Bowie style i'd say he's doing everything to work against the overall feel and tone of the predecessor.

22. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Agreed! Sounds exciting.
    But it also sounds suspiciously like something Scott Walker recently did...

23. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    SuperWatto and soitscometothis like this.
  24. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Been listening to a lot of Bowie recently, mainly on youtube. He's awesome.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Guess I forgot to post in here. I've been listening to Nothing Has Changed, the new three disc compilation album. It's really great actually. Starts with a brand new song and then moves backwards to his very first single, released when he was still going under the name David Jones. All the hits, but a lot of remixes, unreleased tracks and rarities as well. It's a compilation album in the spirit of Biograph, by which I mean it's a work of art in itself, not at all just a random assortment of tracks. Recommended for both Bowie lovers and neophytes.