main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Meaning of lightsaber colors

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Jun 23, 2014.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The crystals were known as Tsil, but as far as I know, no one used the crystals to make a Lightsaber.

2. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    Imagine the characteristics of that blade if someone did. Just like certain crystals imparted certain qualities to the blades beyond mere color, the Tsil, being Force-sentient and strongly attuned to the Force, would have a dramatic effect on the lightsaber blade. That is a topic that is ripe for exploitation by authors...Too bad it's no longer canon. :_|

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The EU did give meaning to each colour.

4. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    I see it as
    Blue for Jedi whose main purpose is guard and protect, like "warriors of peace"
    Green for Jedi whose main purpose is wisdom
    Red for Sith
    Purple for Jedi whose main purpose is guard and protect, like "warriors of peace" and can also use elements of the dark side. (blue with red)
    The rest? No idea.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Those are from KotOR, IIRC, which don't apply to the movies.

6. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I find that some people tend to put too much weight on the colors. I mean as long as the evil guys have red, and the good guys have blue or green, I'm happy and I don't think the majority of people really care what he colors are. It's not the colour of the sword, it's how you use it. ;)

But really, I think that lightsabers could be any colour at all, and some color crystals could simply be harder to find than others (purple) but they have no specific meaning other than the fact that the Jedi simply choose to not use red because it's the only colour that the Sith use. So in a nutshell, Red represents the dark side, but all other colours really have no other meaning other than they are used for the light side. Just my thoughts.

ATMachine likes this.
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Same. Although I'm not a fan of lightsabers having every single color and beyond. Red, green and blue happen to be the primary colors of light, I would like if they kept it that way.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Actually, the 3 primary colors are red, yellow, and blue. Green is blue and yellow.

ATMachine likes this.
  9. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I agree actually. Yellow, orange, pink... What's the point. Seems tacky actually. The only reason there was even purple in the films was because Sam Jackson requested it and he's, well... Sam Jackson!

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, it's red, green and blue.

[​IMG]

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Have they changed the definition of primary colors? That's not the way I learned it in school.

Of course, when I was in school we were studying by torchlight and taking notes on stone tablets. None of those new-fangled papyrus scrolls for us!

Dandelo likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Red green and blue for light, red yellow and blue for matter.

ATMachine, Dinos4Ever and Sarge like this.
  13. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Does a tangible glowing blade of light count as light... or matter? [face_dunno]

Sarge and darklordoftech like this.
  14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Is the colored part tangible or is only the white part tangible?

15. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Good question!

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Well, it is called a lightsaber, not a mattersaber.

17. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Yeah, but light can't cut through solid objects (in fact, it's stopped by them).

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Lasers can cut steel. That's not just in movies; lasers have been tested as weapons, and are often used in factories for precision cutting. I used to use a laser etcher to cut ID marks into stainless steel tools.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    But their name is "lightsaber" not "lasersaber". :p

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, that's cyan, magenta and yellow.

21. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Cyan and magenta are prettier colors anyway. :p

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    True, if you're being precise. I was just trying to explain why Sarge learned Red, Yellow, and Blue in school.

23. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Well, GL still calls them "laserswords" from time to time (and lightsabes were referred to as such in the SW 1977 script directions).

Sarge and thejeditraitor like this.
  24. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I never really thought about what the colors of the lightsabers meant. They simply looked pretty to me.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    LASER: Light Amplified by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. Laser is just light, but instead of regular light of mixed frequencies and directions, all the light in a laser is just one frequency, perfectly synchronized and unidirectional.

Unless they've also changed the definition of lasers since I was in school. Man, do I feel old today.