main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Trolls and wargs. A bunch of trolls get decapitated, and a warg gets smashed against rocks leaving a big bloody smear in its wake. It's just that you see a little blood & gore ( of fictional monsters ) that gets the restricted rating, just like the situation seen in video games with their "T" and "M" ratings.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I loved that battle with the Great Goblin.

"You thought you could escape me!" Knocks Gandalf to the ground with his bone club. "What are you going to do now, wizard?"

Gandalf disembowels the Great Goblin with one wide slash.

"That'll do it."

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So the new R does appear to reflect the MPAA's apparent obsession with blood, for the most part. As I said, some of the violence in the LOTR kind of makes me wonder... ROTK was PG-13, and it has that scene I mentioned where they "release the prisoners" by catapulting the severed human heads over the walls of Minas Tirith (among other examples in all three).

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Those severed heads were only on screen for a handful of frames. Blink and you'll miss them. I guess that was enough to get past the MPAA censors. Frodo's severed finger and all the associated blood was more blatant, IMO.

5. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    True about the blood with the severed finger, but for the heads there was just something about the way they sounded when they landed, and how you could even see the looks on their faces. It's just kind of odd, that's all, but it does seem to point to some inconsistency and some apparently excessive concern about blood in and of itself.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  6. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    It's perhaps a debate for another thread, but I see this as somewhat of a good thing, because Hollywood definitely needs more consistency in ratings. I've often been baffled by the fact that a movie could have roaring rampages of violence, yet the one full-frontal by a woman would ramp it up automatically to R, while one by a man puts it straight into NC-17 territory. I mean, how can the act that creates life (sex) be more shocking than the act that destroys it (violence)? I would understand a strongly worded warning in case of trigger events (like rape), but when it's all consensual... I'm lost. Either the MPAA cracks down on the violence, or it gives more leeway to sex scenes to compensate, but there's something quite unhealthy about the current situation.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, the MPAA is a joke. My movie theatre shows a little clip before every movie reminding people to actually read the reasons why a movie is rated whatever it is, and don't just look at the letter(s).

Like this

[​IMG]

versus this

[​IMG]

I mean hell, when I saw FOTR for the first time I had no problem with most of it, except for the goddamn Nazgûl. Preteen Me did not like those ungodly shrieks one bit. But Aragorn beheading a goblin or Frodo's finger bleeding like crazy? No probs. Even a few years later on the DVD I'd always deliberately skip the entire film all the way from Shortcut to Mushrooms to Many Meetings.

But unfortunately the MPAA is like any system of laws- they follow a set of parameters that doesn't allow a whole lot of leniency or creativity, hence The ****ing King's Speech being rated R because of two little scenes with swearing.

Sorry for the rant, but the MPAA is like most of Hollywood- stuck in the past.

8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm an adult and the sight of all those trolls being decapitated in a bloody mess by that Dwarf chariot made me look away. I think the R rating is warranted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Right, that's from the EE of TBOTFA. The severed heads from ROTK (rated PG-13) aren't bloody (because the blood has clearly dried already), but it's quite disturbing IMO.

I'm not necessarily saying LOTR should have been rated R, but at times the violence is pretty strong.

Darkslayer likes this.
  10. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The funny thing is that it takes two F-bombs to get the R rating. If there's only one you get to keep the PG-13 ( supposing there's nothing else considered R-worthy ). That's the MPAA's arbitrary rule.

11. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    The MPAA is a ****ing joke.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Literally.

13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

The MPAA just rated that post R. :p

Seriously, and it's not just language. One really "violent" scene can get the movie an R rating if there's some blood. Haywire was mostly a PG-13 movie, except for one, maybe two scenes.

The movie J. Edgar starring Leonardo Dicaprio is basically a PG-13 rated movie, except for three words (I counted) which gave it the R rating.

On the other hand, you have other movies where characters are cussing every other word (Spy, Bridesmaids, etc.) and it's still an R.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wasn't there controversy over Watchmen's "R" rating, even though several scenes pushed it into NC17 territory?

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The MPAA is a joke (though not quite as much as they were 15 years ago) but America is partly to blame- surveys were done recently of parents and the whole violence vs nudity thing and it sadly still favored what the MPAA is doing.

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    George RR Martin had some choice words to say regarding the gratuitous sex scenes in his ASOIAF novels too. He's perplexed that people would be more offended by his description of a penis entering a vagina than an axe splitting open someone's skull.

Edit: Here it is:

“I can describe an axe entering a human skull in great explicit detail and no one will blink twice at it. I provide a similar description, just as detailed, of a penis entering a vagina, and I get letters about it and people swearing off. To my mind this is kind of frustrating, it’s madness. Ultimately, in the history of [the] world, penises entering vaginas have given a lot of people a lot of pleasure; axes entering skulls, well, not so much.”

17. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Violence has never hurt anyone, while exposed female breasts can kill millions!

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh]

19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    As my son and I prepare to go see TFA on Saturday afternoon, I'm reminded about a theatrical experience we had together for the last three Decembers in a row: going to see the Hobbit movies together. Even though the movies ended up ultimately being only so-so for us (but honestly not ranked that far behind LOTR, which neither of us ever saw in theaters), it was still a fun experience each time. So it's kind of nostalgic already, and a reminder that time flies.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    (Is there a general Tolkien/LOTR thread?)

But anyways, here's some cool maps I found:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    LOTR is one of my favorite universes aside from Star Wars. One Middle Earth series I would've loved to see would be a series that deals with the War of the Wrath, or another one that details the rise of Numenor and it's eventual downfall.

Watching the Hobbit trilogy gave me nostalgia and made me watch the original LOTR series again: got to see how epic that LOTR trilogy was! The Hobbit trilogy made me a fan of this particular beautiful elf[face_love]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    This thread has been functioning as a general Middle-earth / LOTR / Hobbit thread for quite a while.

25. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

Easily one of the best parts of that trilogy. Wish they'd have put her in the background with the elf army when Smaug attacked Erebor, if only so the whole cast would be in all 3 movies.

TX-20 likes this.