main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Battlefront: Twilight Company (released 11/3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cdgodin, Apr 17, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm just saying that I literally have the power to rename Lit the "Insult Stymi Forum" and everything.

2. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm Stymi, and I approve this message.

When will this change occur?

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    April 1st, 2016. Please mark your calendar.

(you may also have to remind me)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Suspicialy...odd day to pick...but I'll talk it!

Insert obligatory Palpatine line here about power and foreseeing things.

5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I was surprised
    that 1st Sergeant Namir afterwas promoted to Captain and given command of Twilight Company after the death of the previous Commanding officer, Captain Micha "Howling Mad" Evon. that was.

6. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I haven't commented in this thread yet, but I loved this book! It far exceeded my expectations. This is by far one of the best stories in the new canon so far. I would love to read another book about Twilight Company.

Gorefiend and Vthuil like this.
  7. Darth_Monopoly

Darth_Monopoly Jedi Master star 2

Jun 6, 2006
    Loved the book. Reminded me of the X--Wing novels which is definitely a good thing.

I didn't see any discussion about Namir's conversation with the unnamed Corellian freighter pilot. My first thought obviously was that it was Han Solo, but there is a small part of me that really wants this to be a cameo appearance of Dash Rendar for the first time in the new canon. Anyone agree?

8. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    I'm 99% sure that was intended to be Han, but you never know...

9. Cheerios4u98

Mar 4, 2015
    I assumed it was Han as well. I actually just came here to ask about that part!

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    There is absolutely zero doubt that it's Han. It's also the best possible way to do a cameo like that, and it actually was a valuable look at Han too.

Kylun likes this.
  11. Cheerios4u98

Mar 4, 2015
    Didn't another book in the new canon have a similar cameo like this, where it never actually told us who it was but it seemed pretty obvious? I feel like I read something else like that recently. But maybe not.

The only other specific time I can think of that for sure happening was in The Force Unleashed II novel, except there was no room at all for doubt about who it was when Starkiller was talking to a small green alien who was standing outside the Force cave on Dagobah. But I think it happened recently in the canon with someone else.

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    There was that bizarre thing where a couple of people thought this random NR soldier in Aftermath was supposed to have been Luke, but I don't think that's what you're thinking of (especially since I believe it was later outright confirmed that he was not).

13. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    I'd be thrilled if we found out what happens to the surviving characters as the war continues and then after The Battle of Endor and after peace comes (if it comes).

At the very least Namir learned that Princess Leia is not like Darth Vader.

14. Cheerios4u98

Mar 4, 2015

Hmm I remember that too. I don't think that's what I was thinking of either. Could have been though since I seriously have no idea what I was thinking of...

15. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014

They made it incredibly obvious, and that's the conclusion everyone jumps to, but it seems as though the author let just a tiny amount of doubt.

I would just assume it is Han though

16. Darth_Monopoly

Darth_Monopoly Jedi Master star 2

Jun 6, 2006
    There was just something about the way that he kept referring to the Rebellion as "us" or "we" that just seemed a little off or in-Han like, for lack of a better word. Granted, the only new EU stuff that I've read with Han in it has been Smuggler's Run but I felt that even by the end of that Han still didn't buy into the Rebellion.

Even if it is Han, I still liked the scene. It's just wishful thinking on my part.

17. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002

Smuggler's Run was only just after ANH when, yeah, Han didn't buy into the Rebellion. I think by the time of ESB Han has clearly bought into the Rebellion as a movement. He's stuck around for years at this point and expresses regret at leaving (presumably only temporarily) to finally go pay off Jabba.

18. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002

I thought the "A" story with Twilight Company itself was fine. Namir was an interesting perspective, I thought, being effectively a veteran child soldier from the Star Wars galaxy's equivalent of a third world country. The other key members of the company were especially developed, but there was enough there that I believed they existed outside of this one story. I'd be interested in a book that focused on and further fleshed out Brand, in particular.

I do agree that a lot of the "side stories" just felt superfluous. The Prelate and Captain were an interesting pair and deserved to be in a story that utilized them better. I feel like their chapters were only there to justify how it ended, if you take my meaning. Otherwise, you could cut their scenes out, leave the Imperials largely faceless, and the story would still work just fine. Same with the Sullust stormtrooper. At best, her storyline only served to inform us of the status quo on Sullust. At worst, it
    spoils for us that the climax happen on Sullust instead of Kuat

Overall, though, I enjoyed it.

19. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I think the Han scene was meant to be very obvious, but that Freed likely left a teeny bit of wiggle room just to make sure he didn't contradict anything.

20. RWatson

RWatson Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2015
    I have been trying to find more information on the Apailana's Promise (I know that it was created for this book and so there isn't much) and the only thing that I have found is some passing mentions on some boards to it being in the background at the Battle of Endor. Does anyone have information or official sources for this?

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Dornean gunships in general were created as a name and class for one of the types of Rebel ship in the background at Endor.

22. Dark Clone

Dark Clone Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2015
    It was ok.
    Was alot like Rogue Squadron series except on the ground. I'm sure that's what there going for with this. So I'm assuming we haven't seen the last these ground forces stories.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    "Fine. But if we die, we are taking the whole mansion down with us." Best quote of the NEU so far imo.

24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm about halfway through the book...and none of the characters are really connecting with me. The story is also not really grabbing my attention. I'll keep through it because it's not 'bad,' but it's meh so far.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I really liked the book for the first hundred pages or so, I thought it was an interesting description of war events, but it only deteriorated after that. I don't care about Chalis. And Namir is kinda a soulless shell, but they don't do anything with it. We have to follow his numb non-reactions and lack of emotion for the whole book without it ever changing. And then there are all those unimportant engagements that are described in the dullest possible way.

And I really hated the part where Chalis smuggled a bomb on a ship. How many times do we have to see this tired trick? Surely the imps can scan for explosives or at least expect this most obvious trap?