main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What will be the Protagonist's Struggle?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Trying to live up to the skywalker name while dealing with people not trusting him due to their fears that since he is a skywalker he is either going to become some great hero or the next sith lord.

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

The protagonist finds out that he is the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker. He is wracked with guilt and struggles to make up for wrongs committed in a former life. He wonders if it's even possible for him to be a good person, or if he is irredeemable.

That would be really cool, I think, continuing the story of Anakin. And it would fit in well with the saga: Episodes I-III, Anakin's fall, Episodes IV-VI, Anakin's villainous deeds, Episodes VII-IX, Anakin corrects his karma.

Immortiss and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    death stick addiction

The Hellhammer likes this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    In that case Anakin should come back as a Sandperson. I'd like the irony, + a Sandman Jedi would be cool.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

That has to one of the more intriguing ideas I've seen around here. Honestly, I'm not sure if I love it or hate it ( :p ) but it would be interesting to see play out if nothing else.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Of course the protagonist will have a struggle; it's Star Wars.

7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I want to say that the new protagonist(s) will find it difficult with and if they should get involved with this re-established Republic, which this time around the majority of its Senate has openly shunned any Force users, and that he or she will only be forced to do so out of necessity.

8. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    It'd be cool to see them denounce their destiny and attempt to avoid it

9. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Living up to the Skywalker name

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Interesting, but not sure if reincarnation could fit into Star Wars.

11. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    This is basically exactly what I expect it to be, starring Daisy as Han and Leia's sheltered kid.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But isn't that Luke's story?

13. 2old2Bhere

2old2Bhere Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 8, 2014
    Previously in movies bad guys were always simple, they were bad just to be bad. However, if you look at how JJ portrayed Khan in Star Trek: ID you'll be inclined to agree that the bad guy is much more complicated and in the eyes of the bad guy, he's the good guy. I imagine we'll get to experience the same in this next installment. I was also thinking maybe the Protagonist(s) would start a holy war jihad against the great satan Jedi's to use todays vernacular. Rally forces not so much to attack the Republic but rather, just the Jedi. Either way we do know every Star Wars movie has a jedi vs sith fight in it, so you can take that to the bank.

14. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Passing on the torch. The new heroes will struggle with their destiny as reviving the Jedi Order.

15. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    ^^

this Like Joe Montanna's son playing QB AND going to Notre Dame..and he sucks... talk about following a legend's footsteps and failing... sorta like Cade Skywalker becoming a bounty hunter and his addiction to cut himself off from the force

16. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    The Jedi finding a way to set up their new Order, between:
    1) A good and humane Sovereignty that has outlawed the organization of Force users.
    2) An oppressed and tyrannical Empire that endorses Force users as long as they are under the Empire's command.

17. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    The struggle with be against the powers of the Dark Side, the worst being the darkness found in yourself.

18. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    The protagonist is dealing with the legacy of the Skywalker family, namely Vader's impact on the galaxy in the last several decades. It's about families coming to terms with the past and trying to do what's possible to repair the damage that has been done.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Any other ideas? It seems like the main protagonists will be the characters played by Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, and Oscar Issac.

20. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Possible purpose in the galaxy during this war Im sure we will more trailers in March next year will reveal more.

21. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014

The most compelling antagonists in any story are the ones who believe they're doing the right thing. I like this idea of comparing the Sith to religious extremists who need to eliminate the false force users, but it seems like it would be out of place in a post-clone wars galaxy. It would have been an interesting angle for the PT.

One of the compelling ideas that the OT suggests with Anakin is that he feels as though the system is broken, and that when a governing body is unable to come to a consensus, they should be "made" to. I feel like this idea got lost in the mix, and didn't necessarily pay off in the end, but it was a cool thing to drop in.

Recalling the old Lucas quote about how this new trilogy would blur the lines between good and evil, I hope that we do see moral complexity in the characters, and that the writers are developing a character-driven piece, rather than a plot-driven one.

I'm sure we're all familiar with the stages of the hero's journey and what not. Thematically, it seems as though the protagonists would need to fall into this form to some extent, simply to remain consistent with the earlier films. But I am also concerned that, since the LotR/Hobbit films, the Harry Potter series, and countless other "sagas" that Hollywood is churning out, the heroic form is getting more and more challenging to do in a unique and satisfying way.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, what do we think Rey and Finn will be struggling with?

23. thoso1973

thoso1973 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 8, 2015

I reckon both of them will struggle with who they are, their place in the world and what is expected of them by others. I reckon TFA will end with Rey embracing the light side, as well as Kylo Ren embracing the dark (more than he does when we first meet him).

24. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    The fanboy is strong with this one.

25. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Goodness me. I really hope that it is with her trying to deal with her powers and not succumbing to the dark side like her brother (and grandpa) did. She has a LOT of aggression in the trailers which as Yoda said, is not the way of the Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.