main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's a Cerean thing.

2. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I finally surrendered to temptation and ordered myself a copy of Moving Target. I hunted down the link to make sure it went to the beer and mortgage fund, so be sure to have a pint for me. :D

jasonfry likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I put in an Amazon UK order and finally remembered to include the last Servants of the Empire book.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    This is a fun one, I think -- interview with the Poynter Institute, where I cut my teeth as a young journalist -- about Star Wars and storytelling. Plus a little Jupiter Pirates. Hope you like it!

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    jasonfry

So my friend, based on what you know about me, on a scale of 1-10 how freaking excited am I gonna be by the new Incredible Cross Sections? :p

Will I need a defibrillator standing by? :D

--Adm. Nick

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I hope you'll like it. Far more important than my scribblings is the fact that Kemp is a great artist who thinks like an engineer -- he and I had a blast sitting around talking about things might work, with a lot of interesting give and take.

While full of cool cross-sectiony goodness, this book is NOT a hard-sci-fi deep dive into reactor outputs and firepower like the Ep 2 ICS book -- by reading Warfare you know that approach isn't my thing, plus LFL has definitely moved away from that approach. If you like historical context/ship roles/etc., on the other hand, I think you'll be happy.

Oh, and there are some great Easter eggs.

More than that I cannot say for another week or so!

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Now that's what I like to hear! :)

8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Can't wait to read it & discuss it! :D

--Adm. Nick

9. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    May I be so bold as to ask if there are any new Essential Guides planned?

Darth Caliban likes this.
  10. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Hey, jasonfry.... The Western Reaches, that one of yours, right? Officially G-Canon. Oh wait, there's no... not any more... ah, whatever, it was nice to hear that little Atlas shoutout in the film. :D

darthosaka likes this.
  11. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Can't wait for the new ICS, hate that I have to wait till Monday to see it now. Looking forward to some great stuff. Hope for some good info on Starkiller base, pretty impressive technological terror.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Are you kidding? That goes on my epitaph: "Coined geographical term spoken by HARRISON [BAD WORD] FORD IN A STAR WARS MOVIE; watched New York Mets win 21 World Series titles."

Halfway there!

13. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    That was an impressive moment. If I may with a question, did they let you in on what was going to happen in movie before writing the new ICS, or did they keep thing as vague as they could? Would imagine it would have been awfully hard if it were the latter.

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I knew what I had to for each given project. A factor you can't get around, though, is that books have to be locked at a time when a movie is still pretty fluid. That's just the reality of different media and their consequent timelines. Be interesting to see how that plays out with the various TFA titles.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  15. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Ha! I knew that callout to Cadets Wheeler and deGrom in Servants of the Empire couldn't be a coincidence! I was actually on the train out to Citi Field when I read it. I like to think they're the troopers Han & Luke steal armor from on the Death Star.

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

You were on the 7 train? Wow. That's funny.

Yeah, I was out of names and thought those two had a certain spacey ring, so what the hey. Basically every clone trooper # I ever thought up is some kind of Mets numerical pun as well.....

17. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Yep, I think we beat the Nationals that night. Now I have to buy all your books and puzzle out the Clone Trooper numbers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonfry likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    SW Insider Special Edition (2016) also has an interesting Jason Fry essay on the subject of Anakin's fall, Anakin's redemption, and the Jedi Order's mistakes.

19. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

It does? I have no idea what that could be....

20. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Wrote a little thing about my favorite scene in TFA and why it matters. WARNING: mild spoilers, some bad language born of enthusiasm.

Is that Insider thing the Family Tradition article I did a while back? Genuinely baffled.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's the one. Special Edition content, if I remember rightly, tends to be "best of the previous year" (the short story Orientation, for example, is also present).

jasonfry likes this.
  22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    jasonfry

Loved the book! Well done sir! Great use of lore in the Resistance Transport entry! Loved it!

My only disappointment? That they didn't have you classify those vaguely seen
    New Republic warships seen over Hosnian Prime[/i]. But hey, the NRDF may yet appear, right? ;)

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth and jasonfry like this.
  23. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    jasonfry - now the movie is out, what can you tell us about Rey's survival guide?
    I have received an alert from the book store I use telling me it is now available!

24. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I just picked up Rey's Survival Guide today. Haven't started reading it but I did flip through it and it looks pretty interesting, especially after having seen the movie.

25. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I picked up the Cross-Sections book yesterday. (I saw it sold at the airport after buying it at a bookstore so congrats -- you know you've got it made when there's something with your name on the cover prominently displayed at an airport ;)). I must admit I lament the move away from Saxton-ism, but if it means we get something closer to your approach as displayed in Atlas and Warfare, that is more than a fair trade-off. :D

I haven't read it all yet, but I have to ask... why no Starkiller Base? That would have been a truly glorious foldout.... Was it because the scale of the thing just wouldn't allow enough technical detail? Was it because no one would want to think too hard about the physics of that thing? :p

CooperTFN likes this.