main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Solo-Skywalker, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    Thread for Oscar Isaac's character Poe Dameron in Episode VIII; Black Squadron commander, loyal Resistance fighter.

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I want more scenes of him and Finn's bromance. I also kinda wonder if Kylo's mind torture on him will have any sort of lasting effect, could be an interesting subplot of him dealing with a form of ptsd/nightmares due to what happened

3. Solo-Skywalker

Dec 29, 2014
    You're on to something there Claire; Finn's immediate reaction to thinking Poe didn't survive the Tie Fighter crash/explosion was very genuine, then when the meet again on the Resistance base Finn was relieved to see Poe. The chemistry between Finn and Poe showed a deep bond between the two characters as if they were saying to each other ... "I got your back!"

4. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    Oscar's performance was fantastic and I really liked Poe, he's certainly becoming one of my favorite characters.

I hope he'll have a bigger role in Ep. VIII and maybe a romance with Rey (only if it's done right, slightly rhyming with Han and Leia).

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    He was great in TFA, hopefully a larger role in the sequels. We'll need a swashbuckling hero for the adventures ahead. Oscar Isaac is fantastic in everything I've seen him in (Show Me A Hero, A Most Violent Year, etc.) Looking forward to what's next.

6. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I like that Poe appears to be a straight up good dude.

7. Solo-Skywalker

Dec 29, 2014
    He reminds me of a cross between Leia Organa and Luke Skywalker; he has the piloting skills to rival any Skywalker, the devotion to friends and the cause like both Leia and Luke and is compassionate, and loyal. His story arc before "TFA" and moving forward definitely interests me.

8. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003

All the rumors had him pegged as a cocky Solo type. Glad he's sort of his own thing.

9. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    He's kind of toooo perfect of a character which I think is completely intentional so that they can confront/address that and flip that in the next films.

10. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    Poe is the textbook definition of a "Bro." Love him to death. Possibly the most instantly likable character I've ever seen in a film.

11. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    With Finn in a coma I really hope Poe can have a really big role in EpVIII, the only problem I can see is that he's blew up his 'Death Star', what can he do that's new?

12. Solo-Skywalker

Dec 29, 2014
    Information from the visual dictionary: he is 32 years old (i.e. had to have been born after Endor) and his idol is "General Leia Organa". We knew he was "special" to Leia according to Making Star Wars. It also mentions he's the risk-taker, it also mentions the following;

Star Wars: Force Awakens Visual Dictionary:

"Poe served as a squadron leader in the New Republic Defense Fleet, but was frustrated by the central government's failure to take the First Order's threat seriously. Upon being recruited to the Resistance, Poe found a organization which better resembled the Rebel Alliance of old. He quickly rose through the ranks of the Resistance's understaffed Starfighter Corps,earning the grade of commander. If the Resistance had recruitment posters, Poe's fellow pilots joke that he would triple there numbers only by his bravado"

His tells me a little more of the complexity and depth of Poe. He strives for excellence, it also appears he is very committed to the cause, he he honors his parents by attaching himself to what he believes is the right. I can see why Poe is so entrusted with sensitive missions, by his superiors but seems very capable of carrying out his own mission. Commander Dameron role to the fight for the Resistance against the First Order is just beginning (I wonder who his next mission in Episode VIII will be Hux, Phasma or someone else?? [face_thinking])

13. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I can't wait to see his world come crashing down on him. It's the only direction his character can go. In a way, he's exactly like the programmed Stormtroopers, just conditioned and raised through the lens of propaganda that was the Rebellion/Resistance with the added bonus of being the most perfect personification of all of that. His arc just has to involve putting him on the path of not being so sheltered. He's going to be the fish out of water character and suddenly have questions and doubts while best buddy, Finn turns out to actually be the Resistance/Rebel that he's so-far been thinking he's faking and finding out that he's home/this is his identity.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  14. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Honestly, I know a lot of people thought the idea of Rey/Poe would be a neat callback to Han/Leia, but I think it's interesting that Rey's personality better resembles Han while Poe idolizes Leia. So if they do go in that direction in the next film, it'll be a neat dynamic to see between the two of them.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Definitely engaged for these characters in the next two movies.
    We need a book series following this guy.

Solo-Skywalker likes this.
  16. Solo-Skywalker

Dec 29, 2014
    Some more information from the visual dictionary regarding Poe Dameron:

Poe Dameron
    Commander of Starfighter Corps/Black Squadron Leader
    Commander of the Red Squadron (primary mission defense of Resistance Base)
    Commander of the Blue Squadron (primary mission support)
    (Poe Dameron leads both squads, under the call sign Black Leader – not as an indication of a
    separate squadron but to denote his specialized fighter – Black One)

(At the end of the destruction of Starkiller base there were 7 X-Wing Fighters remaining along with the Millennium Falcon)

He is obviously in the hierarchy of the Resistance how high is the question. We saw him command an audience when in the command center as it was him, Han and Leia really planning the attack.

17. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Makes me wonder if he also was mentored by one Wedge Antilles.

DarthHavok, Sarge and SaintKenobi1322 like this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wonder if Poe will finally interact with Rey on-screen...

QueenSabe7 and jbyrd1245 like this.
  19. Xodax

Xodax Jedi Knight

Aug 24, 2015
    Poe was probably my favorite character and I want to see more of him. Maybe his parents will be in Rogue One.

Jedi_Lantern likes this.
  20. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    I really hope we will have more scenes with Poe Dameron, leader of Troll Squadron. And he needs a new jacket.

21. Solo-Skywalker

Dec 29, 2014
    All depends on how long Wedge hung on in the Rebellion; from the "Shatter Empire" comic, now this "Visual Dictionary" it appears the chances would be slim due to the circumstances around Poe's birth and the "Battle of Jakku" but I guess anything is possible. Another thing to remember Poe never was a pilot for the Rebellion, he first served in the "New Republic Fleet" before leaving for the "Resistance led by General Leia Organa.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    -More Poe/Finn bromance.
    -Poe/Rey scenes.
    -Poe/Leia scenes.

Also, as an aside, for those who've read the novelization
    I've heard that there's a scene between Poe and Rey, and that it hints that she's developing an attraction to him. Is this true?

23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I looked it up, and the age difference between Oscar and Daisy is almost exactly the same as between Harrison and Carrie as well. Just an amusing little detail for fans of Poe/Rey.

24. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I think the next film will have Finn and Poe trying to recruit the New Republic to fight the First Order. They will go find Lando and the Republic Fleet I am hoping.

MattOrgana likes this.
  25. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    Agreed