main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I haven't seen a Snoke thread for Episode 8 and 9 yet so here it is. Same discussions we had in the Episode 7 thread can be made here for 8 and 9. Where did he come from? What are his underlying intentions? How powerful is he? Was he under the emperor or is he new to the remenants of the Empire? What are his past relations with our heroes? ALL DISCUSSIONS RELATED TO DARTH PLAGUEIS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE PLAGUEIS IS SNOKE? Thread.

whostheBossk and Big Boss like this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I might be completely off base but I really get the feeling that Snoke is sort of a poser. He's not as powerful as he projects himself to be and needs Kylo Ren to have any shot at destroying Luke. I don't know he just came off to me as a Wizard of Oz type character trying to convince everyone he's powerful but it's just smoke and mirrors.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I really wonder why though? Why do so many people think this?

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. Robert Merrill

Robert Merrill Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 2014
    I'm wondering why as well. That would be so disappointing if Snoke isn't even that powerful. Boring!

I get the feeling that he's a super powerful dark side user. Maybe an ancient Sith. Maybe the physical embodiment of the dark side itself. Kind of like how I believe that Rey is the 'Chosen One' described in the PT. She could be THE one to finally bring balance to the force and destroy the dark side.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    For me it's mostly because he projects himself as this scary 25 foot hologram to his subordinates yet seems utterly terrified of Luke and has built a star system destroying superweapon just to kill him.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean I understand why he is terrified of Like and that's because Luke turned Vader and also beat Vader.

Like is the most powerful force User in the galaxy to.

Big Boss and IG-13 like this.
  7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Sheev feared Luke because of his potential. And that was young, only partially-trained Luke. Who knows how powerful older, seasoned Luke had become since then. Also Sheev used a hologram to make himself look like a giant floating head in ESB, so we have a history of this in SW.

It makes little to no sense for Snoke to be a "poser," given what we've been told about him (both in-universe and in interviews).

DARTHSHAME and darklordoftech like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    But Palpatine also didn't create a superweapon to destroy Yoda or Obi-Wan or even Luke. He gleefully went into combat against them. And I think that's part of the point of showing him as this larger than life hologram. Palpatine did it so Snoke does it to project power the way the Emperor did when in reality he's no where near Palpatine's class.

I also think there's an underlying tragedy with Kylo that he devotes himself to people who aren't really what he thinks they are. Vader was ultimately a Jedi and Snoke isn't the uber dark side user he makes himself out to be. And the way Kylo talks about him gives of a very cult leader vibe to me which I think is very intentional. Like all cult leaders he's ultimately just a fraud trying to dupe Kylo for his own purposes. I think Kylo is the real threat of this trilogy.

9. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    A quote by Yupe Tashu in Aftermath about what the Empire should do next after the battle of Endor.

"We must instead move toward the Dark Side. Palpatine felt that the universe beyond the edges of our maps was where his power came from. Over the many years he, with our aid, sent men and woman beyond known space. They built labs and communication stations on distant moons, asteroids, out there in the wilds. We must follow them. Retreat from the galaxy. Go out beyond the veil of stars. We must seek the source of the Dark Side like a man looking for a wellspring of water."
    I believe this could be Snoke that he is talking about.

Algnosis, Big Boss, dlbates and 2 others like this.
  10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Sheev didn't "go into battle" in the OT. He did in ROTS, because he was relishing his grand victory. But in the OT, he sends Vader, Tarkin, and others to do his dirty work for him.

DarthIshyZ and Big Boss like this.
  11. Order 66

Order 66 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    If Snoke is relying on Ren to take down Luke, he's not very smart. Ren is incredibly weak compared to Rey. Ren himself seems like a poser who is modeling himself after Darth Vader even though he has begun to realize that he is not a true Skywalker (in terms of his strength with the force).

The Exogorth likes this.
  12. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    My sane theory:
    He's a former advisor to Palpatine. He's familiar with the darkside insofar as he dealt with the Emperor, but has no real force power himself. He's creating a larger than life projection (of his real self) in order to control the First Order and deceive Kylo into doing his biding.

My Hope theory:
    Snoke is an ancient darkside entity and doesn't actually exist in corporal form in the GFFA realm. The "hologram" we see is a manifestation, a true projection of his aged and damaged self, that is produced in special 'shrine' like areas. He exists beyond the edge of the galaxy and he's looking for a powerful devoted host to contain his spirit. Someone to come along and prove his worth to the darkside. Someone who ... let's say just committed an act of patricide. Or perhaps someone even stronger, should she even exist ;)

My crazy rabbit hole, doesn't make a lot of sense theory:
    Snoke isn't real. He's an illusion. He's just a projection, made to look overly imposing and threatening in order to control the First Order. Manifested by a powerful darkside entity, a witch. A Nightsister of Dathomir. Someone who may or may not have some shared history with Luke and maybe even...Rey.

13. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015

Because he's projected like 20 feet tall?

beetzello likes this.
  14. Order 66

Order 66 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015

But Snoke says that he is going to "complete Ren's training" near the end of the movie. How could he complete his training if he is not a powerful dark side user (Sith)?

Hardip, Darkslayer and IG-13 like this.
  15. Ryan Hunt

Ryan Hunt Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 11, 2013
    I'm not sure about this. Kylo Ren and Hux seem to fear him quite a bit. He must have done something or proven himself to earn their fear and respect.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Don't get me wrong I think he's a dark sider. An old Inquisitor or one of Palpatine's advisors but I just don't think he's an uber powerful Force user. I don't think he's the main villain.

17. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    I thought there was an article that said Snoke was outside the Galactic Civil War, so I don't think he was an Inquisitor. It also said was aware of what happened. I'm sure they'll expand on his character over the next two movies. He's one that I am very interested in learning more about since he did spend most of the movie in the background.

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It could turn out that there are dark side users more powerful than the Sith ever were.

19. tehdouglas

tehdouglas Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    If you search google for Plageuis Concept Art you will find a picture of Rey fighting someone who looks like Darth Plageuis wearing a breathing device in black armor and a red lightsaber.
    This is official concept art but not confirmed for the movie. Putting Snoke in the armor and breathing device (you can tell his mouth his messed up) would make him look just like the concept art.
    Darth Plageuis, in both the book and old action figure, which are not canon but one of the few sources of inspiration, has the breathing device.

whostheBossk, Algnosis and Darkslayer like this.
  20. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    He wants to conquer the galaxy!

[​IMG]

21. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I wonder who will kill Snoke? My guess is either Kylo Ren or Rey, but of the two I'm leaning toward Kylo Ren. For a twist, I'm hoping Snoke gets taken out in VIII instead of IX and Kylo Ren becomes the master. It seems like Snoke fears Luke more than anyone, but I just don't feel like Luke will be the one to defeat him.

whostheBossk and DL44Jo like this.
  22. Theatre of Tragedy

Theatre of Tragedy Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2014
    My feeling is that Snoke is recovering from whatever left him "damaged and vulnerable", and as such his power right now is enfeebled. But he's getting stronger with each passing day, and if he reaches his full power he'll be close to unstoppable. I think that it'll be a race to find and destroy him before he reaches the point when it's no longer possible.

23. Wu Tzu

Wu Tzu Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    I agree with you Darth Chiznuk. The scenes with Snoke definitely feel like the Wizard of Oz. I still think Snoke is Force sensitive, but I see him modeled after Kim Il-sung or someone like that. He might actually turn out to be small and meek physically, damaged physically so now he's trying to overcompensate.

24. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    That's exactly what I'm thinking as well. Of course, I think that would probably diminish his character a bit even further, as he was one of the very few "dull spots" in TFA for me.

I'm not in the Plagueis MUST BE SNOKE camp, but I think it would nicely tie all the movies together, and honestly it would make him much more of a credible threat.

25. KDC1972

KDC1972 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 7, 2005
    Leia is aware of Snoke, I wonder if he at one point was, much like Palpatine, a political figure with a hidden agenda that she had dealings with while trying to form the New Republic. I wouldn't like this as much as it would be too much Palpatine 2.0

Then again she could just know of Snoke from speaking with Luke, who may have had a confrontation with him (accounting for Snokes damaged face). Maybe in the confrontation Luke slipped dangerously close to the dark side and was seeking revenge, perhaps he felt dealing the killing blow would have pushed him over the edge in to Vader territory and chose to walk away from a defeated opponent.

Also how long did it take him to corrupt Ben and how did he have access to him? I am sure it wasn't an immediate turning. Did Ben seek Snoke out or was it the reverse?

Lots of mystery with this character.