main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did Rian Johnson have a hand in The Force Awakens?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    If you've listened to the latest NTIP from MakingStarWars Jason lets slip that he's heard that Rian Johnson has had quite a bit of involvement which is uncredited in The Force Awakens.

I can't remember word-for-word his comments but it was something like "I can't say too much but Rian Johnson has had more to do with TFA than you would think and may have directed some scenes".

I was a bit shocked not to see this covered on the forums as that would be quite a big deal, although I am guessing it's all speculation and rumour at this point.

Thoughts? I wonder which scene/s he would have got involved with? I'm guessing the Skellig Michel stuff as that would dovetail directly into Ep 8?

2. WrathofRunia

WrathofRunia Jedi Padawan

Oct 19, 2014
    It wouldn't surprise me. I think there would have to be some level of coordination, and I don't think Rian Johnson has been doing any other projects lately, to my knowledge anyways.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  3. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

The Skellig Michael scenes are my first guess as to what Rian could have potentially directed in the final film. If that's true, it wouldn't really surprise me and I wouldn't have a problem with it.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No. Rian was on set and saw what they were doing but didn't help write the script or anything like that. In fact, it's about the opposite: JJ helped Rian craft the basic storyline for VIII and then both Rian and JJ will help Treverrow with IX.

5. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Well JJ has said that for sure they made some changes to the TFA script for Rian. Some changes were apparently just saving some things for VIII, the other changes were not so clear. JJ was making the point that they were very careful to ensure that they were telling a cohesive story.

TooMuchBBQ and a2dmusic like this.
  6. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    I am getting excited again.

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yeah that was Kasdan and JJ though. They just meant what you said: so the story flows from one episode from the next. That's what has never happened before in making a SW trilogy.

They held some stuff back for VIII. I don't think Rian had any storytelling input on VII. I could be wrong but it sounds more like JJ is going to going forward.

Dewback and a2dmusic like this.
  8. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    I'm wracking my brain trying to remember which interview it was. I'm pretty sire he said they made a couple minor changes, but dang, I can't dig it up.

a2dmusic likes this.
  9. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002

Rian has written the script for Episode 8 and definitely asked for some additions/changes to TFA so that it would gell/link to Ep 8.

The new information is that he might have actually directed some scenes in TFA which if true is quite interesting.

ShaneP likes this.
  10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Huh. I didn't know that. Seems strange unless he had already written something and it was minor for VII so they just dropped it. I can't see how Rian would have leverage to be telling JJ to change anything otherwise. It had to be revealed bits TFA really didn't need critically.

11. LukeWhosTalking

LukeWhosTalking Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Makes sense that Rian directed the Skellig scene at the end of TFA.

Never has a sequel made me want to see what happens IMMEDIATELY after the end of the first film more than TFA. I'll be really bummed if Ep 8 starts off with a time skip, which is what all SW films have done so far.

JabbatheHumanBeing and ShaneP like this.
  12. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002

One might be during the flashback where Kylo stabs a guy and the fact that Unkar Plutt is the one holding Rey's hand, that wasn't in any of the MSW spoilers and it would make sense that it could be backstory that Rian will expand on in Ep 8.

Another thing might be the Rebel helmet and the Rebel pilot doll that we see in Rey's home, more possible threads to Rey's past which have a pay off for her backstory.

astinus4 likes this.
  13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Good picks. Yeah I can see him going in and adding bits of that because he thought down the line there would be a payoff and so just wanted to plant the seeds. Good thoughts.

14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yeah it would be great if this is the first SW film ever where it picks up immediately where VII stopped. Even show her holding the lightsaber out to him and his reaction. Maybe pick up a little backwards into the story? That would be different…yet also episodic: Last time we saw out heroes…etc.

15. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    The impression I got was that it was relatively minor. If I recall, it was in respinse to question about whether JJ had any impact of VIII, and JJ responded that they had worked on the overall story, but that Rian was responsible for the script of VIII, but that Rian had kept close tabs on VII, and they had made a few changes in the script and in the editing room to accomodate a couple things Rian had requested. Damn, I gotta find that interview.

Skellybobs and ShaneP like this.
  16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah yes. You're right! I do remember reading that interview. I believe it was Variety maybe? But yes, I remember that clearly now. Yep. He did make some minor adjustments.

Skellybobs and Strongbow like this.
  17. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001

One wonders what the crawl would even be about if nothing happens between the two stories...!

18. robbman21

robbman21 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 16, 2005

Luke Skywalker Has Been FOUND!

And then probably the rest would set up that the First Order fled and perhaps finish with where they ended up and what the plan going forward is before panning down through space to see the Finalizer sitting there and suddenly one or two new Star Destroyers come into view unexpectedly, like this is the rendevous point so that they can regroup, and also making us stew in our seats just a bit before we get a wind-swept mountain top scene on Skellig.

whostheBossk, Skellybobs and ShaneP like this.
  19. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    That's a very good point actually, didn't think about that.

20. a2dmusic

Mar 4, 2001
    Not a bad way to go, actually - because one imagines the FO is now tracking Rey to Luke so it COULD be about that.

Still, it would be quite a change of pace (not to say it's less likely!) to just continue on from where it left off, because so few of the chess pieces will have moved between films.

Honestly, because I REALLY WANT TO SEE what happens with Luke and Rey once that silent moment ends... despite the difficulties narratively in the Star Wars structure, I kinda hope you're right and they find a way to do it.

21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, we have to wonder if Rey's trip took a bit to get to Skelling at the end of TFA.

If enough time passed during that journey, by the time she whips out the lightsaber and shows it to Luke, maybe the FO is already regrouping?

So you could add the crawl in with that as well as the Resistance/New republic stuff.

I'm not saying this NEEDS to happen. I would be happy if it follows suit like all the rest.

But, if you're looking for something different, starting off the bat with that might be a way to say: hey, this is different.

Skellybobs likes this.
  22. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    I think we'll have a big jump: 6 months to 3 years. Star Wars movies are always about a few focused, most important, events in the much much larger story. If we pick up where we left off, I feel like that shrinks the trilogy story.

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  23. a2dmusic

Mar 4, 2001

I understand that - and agree - but one has to image the "most important" events include the full real, post "silence" reaction of Luke to finding Rey holding his lightsaber. I mean, if we pick up a year out, that whole climactic event is a footnote for them. "Hey, Rey - remember a year ago when you first approached me? That was when I realized you were my daughter/niece/no one I knew of but was holding the most revered lightsaber in history and how I felt about seeing that again, the device I saw at my lowest moment..."

24. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    This is why I am not a professional screenwriter :)

25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    With these films you almost have to plot them and story them out and then plop one of the movies down into the midst of it. They always do that and it gives a sense of space and time and bigness to the SW universe.

Picking up exactly where we left off would be treating these more like one big six hour film than separate episodes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.