main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did Rian Johnson have a hand in The Force Awakens?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001

Haha, touché!

We'll just have to see.

2. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    I remember reading about input from Johnson in Abrams' interview with Wired.

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-interview/

3. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    My guess is Rian requested that JJ keep Finn in a coma at the end of TFA instead of having him pretty much recovered and looking happy and saying goodbye to Rey. I think Rian came up with a cool thing for Finn's recovery and how we see him next in Episode 8. JJ liked the idea so he altered the last Rey/Finn scene.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Didn't Finn get slashed in the back? Maybe he can't walk now? Or maybe he has some kind of cybernetic implants to help him around?

Rodie likes this.
  5. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    In a few years we might be able to go back and pick out what parts of The Force Awakens came from Rian Johnson's needs for Episode 8. We could make guesses now.

For example, when Kylo Ren says to the Darth Vader mask, "Show me again the power of the darkness."

ShaneP likes this.
  6. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Maybe it was Rian's idea to add the part where Kylo says "You dream of an ocean. I see it...I see the island," and Rian is planning to parlay that bit of mind reading into a plot point in 8 where Kylo figures out Rey was dreaming of the Jedi Temple and he figures out where they are training and attacks.

7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    The only problem with starting Episode 8 immediately after the events of Episode 7 is that the opening crawl could become a tad redundant. Personally, I think we'll skip ahead a year or so.

8. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Well, maybe a brief recap and a reminder of the state of the galaxy (Republic in disarray, First Order still moving through the galaxy despite the loss of Starkiller Base, the Resistance the only thing standing in their way, etc.,) is in order.

9. a2dmusic

Mar 4, 2001

Now that would be a turn up! E8 taking place just after E9! :p

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  10. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

11. a2dmusic

Mar 4, 2001
    <steps on glasses>

12. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Maybe Rian Johnson wants some gritty dialogue-heavy and vision/flashback driving scenes like Season One of True Detective, featuring Constable Zuvio and Sarco Plank in Finn's speeder.
    But, the speeder is also a starship with transparisteel windows, and it's flying through space. Zuvio is looking for Rey, and Sarco is looking for Luke. Zuvio wants to arrest Rey for stealing the Falcon, while Sarco is still grumpy about the events on Devaron. When they arrive on planet Skellig, the speeder-starship turns into a boat, and Jan Hammer provides the synthy music their stereo plays while cruising toward Luke's island.

Skellybobs likes this.
  13. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Another thing to mention, at New York Comic Con Pablo Hidalgo stated that the LucasFilm Story group has an outline of the state of affairs in the galaxy based on ideas from George Lucas, Michael Ardnt, and Rian Johnson.

Skellybobs likes this.
  14. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Story wise (for all three episodes) I'm sure there is consultation, collaboration and discussion between, JJ, Rian, Colin, Disney and Kathleen Kennedy.

As for the actual directing of the films, each to their own would be my guess.

15. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    If Finn wakes up bad or severely alter most fans are going to have a crap..except me. I love it!

ShaneP likes this.
  17. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Finn's injury makes me feel sick. It looks like he'd had his spine severed lengthways, but I'm guessing that it'll be treated as a shallow but serious wound from which he will recover more or less fully

Rodie, Skellybobs and ShaneP like this.
  18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yes, we would assume so wouldn't we? :D

Maybe he's like Matt Damon from Elysium? All jacked up with robotics.

Skellybobs likes this.
  19. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    hmmm, do you think Finn will have a permanent damage?

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

No one knows. We're just guessing.

21. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    Coughs, coughs, R2, coughs, coughs........

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Is R2 sick?

23. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    I don't think R2 originally went with Rey at the end. I think Rian wanted the droid for a reason, hence a small change in the script.

yassir.khan likes this.
  24. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    I think Finn should require some kind of cybernetic spine in order to walk. What that means for the story, I have no idea. But his wound should not be a superficial one.

That's an interesting thought. Although R2 loves Luke, so I'm sure he'd say something about wanting to go find him if others around him were talking about it, no? If Rian made that change it was a good one because that makes total sense!

turnip white likes this.
  25. General_Cartman_Lee

General_Cartman_Lee Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    Given the "weird" thing Kasdan was describing I think most bets are off. I say most, as stronger SW traditions like the crawl will remain. We could pick up where we left off with the crawl focusing on the fate and recovery of the FO, which was conspicuously lacking at the end of TFA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.