main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT So Obi-Wan defeated Darth Maul and Darth Vader (in his prime!) what does that say about him?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Lantern, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    I mean, on the other hand, Maul lived to fight another day and Obi-Wan didn't kill Vader. So I can see an argument that Obi-Wan has difficulty finishing fights. Still though, Vader in his prime, was defeated by Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan defeated another Sith Lord (Maul)

I feel like Obi-Wan is pretty much the coolest character in SW

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I love Obi-Wan, and his skills are certainly not to be undermined, but I'll amend your statement to "he defeated an emotionally turmoiled if not mentally unstable Darth Vader"
    If Anakin wasn't on the brink of practical insanity and was able to fight with rational thought rather than wild attacks, he likely would have won

3. darth elyk

darth elyk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    He also lost to the Count as well.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    I really like Obi Wan and he was a great warrior and Jedi but...he kind of beat Maul on a fluke and beat a mentally unstable Vader..he was destroyed by Dooku twice...he was great but a level or two below the top Jedi and Sith..I never liked the decision to have Dooku to beat him so easily twice and yet be beats Maul and Anakin..I get that styles make fights but he shouldn't have looked so helpless against Dooku.

5. Robert Power

Robert Power Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2016
    I'd forgotten Count Dooku Handed him his ass twice too!

Deliveranze and StarKiller81 like this.
  6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It shows how clever he is.

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    These are all very skilled swordsmen and masters of the Force, the very best in the GFFA. There is little differentiating one from the other. One could win one day and the other the next. It's like the NFL. Very little separates them.

8. Jedi_Lantern

Apr 3, 2013
    What is up with evil Jedi/Sith constantly getting this "they were in emotional turmoil so they weren't really all there in the fight" coddling? Vader is getting it for his fight with Obi-Wan. Kylo Ren is getting it with his fight in TFA. How about, they lost?

Interesting point

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah I mean that's how I see it. I don't think it's a thing set in stone. There is great parity among all of them. On any given Sunday so to speak...

10. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Yea but he got pwned by Vader on the Deathstar.

11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    It means only one thing:
    [​IMG]

Obi-Wan is DAT JEDI:cool:

12. Jedi_Lantern

Apr 3, 2013
    Did he though? I just watched that fight today. Obi-Wan stops fighting and allows Vader to kill him (even if he hadn't chose to let Vader kill him, I understand that still would have been the outcome) . If that is being owned, then what is having your legs and arm caught off by your opponent when you are actually competing in the fight? Then being absolutely helpless as your body catches fire and your opponent stands safely out of harms way watching you burn alive?

tallie_tachi likes this.
  13. SophieCo

SophieCo Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    There's a thread about whether or not Anakin should have defeated Obi-Wan at the end of RotS in which all of this is discussed. I've defended him at length in that thread so I won't go into too much detail here :D However, I will say that I love Obi-Wan and that I actually think he's often underestimated here on the boards. What he lacks in sabre expertise and brute force he makes up for in cleverness and resourcefulness. I think he comes very close to being the ideal Jedi*. He's kind, compassionate, disciplined, calm, centred - and he gets the job done. Find out who was trying to assassinate the senator? Done. Follow said assassin to a seemingly nonexistent planet? Sure. Hunt down and kill Grievous? Got it. Challenge former apprentice whom he loves like a brother to a fight to the death and (very nearly) kill him? A-okay. The only reason he didn't finish Anakin off was because it's against the Code to kill a defenseless opponent. He defeated Maul fair and square - I don't buy that he just got lucky. Dooku's skills proved superior to his in AotC, but in the novelisation of RotS Dooku remarks how much Obi-Wan has grown as a Jedi and is impressed with his skill.

That said, I too disliked how easily Dooku beat him in the movie. Then again, Dooku Force chokes him and then sends him flying across the room, so Obi-Wan losing has little to do with his actual competence in lightsabre combat or skill as a Jedi Master.

*And to those who'll say he's not the ideal Jedi for cutting off Anakin's arm and legs and slicing Maul in half (severing limbs etc. is against the Code): true, but he did it out of necessity. With Maul he was still an apprentice and I'm willing to believe there was still a lingering trace of anger in him that clouded his judgement, but with Anakin he either had to strike him mid-air or fight him at a disadvantage (lower position) once the latter landed on the slope. Also, I'm pretty sure the rules are bendable when it comes to defeating the Sith Lord who murdered every last Jedi in the Temple.

14. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    When I first watched Phantom as a kid Obi-Wan was my favorite character because he killed off Maul. Ya know, at that age you always support the hero that defeats the villain, but nowadays my admiration for Obi-Wan extends much further than that. It's not only his Gentlemanliness that makes him insanely cool, or the fact that we get to see him go from young Padawan to wise old Jedi Master, Or the fact that he defeated Maul, Grievous and Vader, it's that he's probably one of the more inspirational characters from Star Wars.

Obi-Wan is still the best!!!

15. Robert Power

Robert Power Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2016
    One one hand I agree with this but it sometimes feels a little random! One thing I can never let go about the prequels is how easily Palpatine took out 3 jedi masters like they were daydreaming or something. In fact the whole scene was so dissapointing, two of the most powerful force weilders some have had a more dramatic, awesome battle!
    when the four of them stand in the doorway i remember being so excited but then let down!

Darth Master Titus likes this.
  16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

No I understand.

17. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    A question:

I have been thinking of creating a new thread where we can rank Jedi and Sith according to their Force potential (the potential they were born with), Force attunement (how attuned have they become to the Force, and how refined their control; Yoda, for example, had a lower potential than Anakin, but way better attunement), power output (a combination of the previous two; Sith have an advantage here, being able to skip all the meditation and attunement and refinement and accessing their potential through their emotions), versatility (who can do more varied stuff) and lightsaber skills.

Something like:

Force potential:
    1.-Anakin.
    2.-Darth Sidious.
    3.-Yoda.
    4.-Darth Plagueis.
    5.-Obi-wan Kenobi
    6.-Mace Windu.
    7.-Count Dooku.
    8.-Qui-Gon Jinn.

Force attunement:
    1.-Yoda.
    2.-Darth Plagueis.
    3.-Darth Sidious.
    4.-Qui-Gon Jinn.
    5.-Mace Windu.
    6.-Obi-wan Kenobi
    7.-Count Dooku.
    8.-Anakin.

Power output:
    1.-Darth Sidious.
    2.-Darth Plagueis.
    3.-Yoda.
    4.-Count Dooku.
    5.-Anakin.
    6.-Mace Windu.
    7.-Obi-wan Kenobi.
    8.-Qui-Gon Jinn.
    Versatility:
    1.-Darth Plagueis.
    2.-Darth Sidious.
    3.-Yoda.
    4.-Plo Koon.
    5.-Shaak Ti.
    6.-Mace Windu.
    7.-Luminara Unduli.
    8.-Count Dooku.

Lightsaber skills:
    1.-Anakin.
    2.-Mace Windu.
    3.-Yoda.
    4.-Darth Sidious.
    5.-Count Dooku.
    6.-Obi-wan Kenobi.
    7.-Darth Maul.
    8.-Qui-Gon Jinn.

However, I think there must be a few threads were all those aspects of the Force are already ranked... am I right? Does exist already that thread, or do you think it's worth creating it?

18. Sir2lazyThe2nd

Sir2lazyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 13, 2015
    He beat Darth Vader and Darth Maul in his prime

19. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    As Jar Jar said in AOTC: "Obi! Obi!"

20. Unit51

Unit51 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Arm lopping is against the code? I might need a citation on that. That's Obi-wan's secondary move after the mind trick. If the mind trick doesn't work, BZZZT off comes the gun hand. No more threat.

21. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    he was a great jedi knight :obiwan::bluesaber:

22. Darth Dobrolous

Darth Dobrolous Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 7, 2016
    He was a great Jedi. Maybe not as powerful as Yoda or Anakin or Palpatine, but he was a skilled combatant with a steady head.

23. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    It means you don't mess with Obi, the boy will cut you up...

24. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Obi-Wan is a BOSS

That's what is says about him

25. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    In both situations, Obi-Wan saw an opening and he took it. Although he was an opportunist, I believe that still factors into his skill and cunning as a Jedi. Remember, "alternatives to fighting."