main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    When I saw it the first time, I thought it was Vader and that he was going to orchestrate a trap with Jabba to catch Luke. Then I was like- 'Wha? That's Luke!' [face_hypnotized]

2. SegNerd

SegNerd Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2015
    For some reason, I used to be confused about the line, "Dantooine is too remote to make an effective demonstration" in ANH. I thought Vader was saying he didn't believe Leia that Dantooine was the home of the rebel base, and then later when they realize she lied to them, I was like, "Didn't you already know that?"

But I understand the line correctly now - they want to use the Death Star to instill some serious fear of the Empire into the galaxy, and they didn't feel that blowing up Dantooine would make a strong enough statement.

Anakin.Skywalker and MarcJordan like this.
  3. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I watched ANH last night and remembered one of my childhood misconceptions: I thought that one of Leia's defining traits was her hair. Her long, long hair that was always tightly wrapped into buns. I thought she 'let her hair down' in the ending scene and thought it was dragging on the ground.

Gosh, kids are weird.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I can see how Luke would be mistaken for the Emperor in that dark cloak in the shadows in that manner. Vader? Wow. That would have been interesting.

I obviously never had this misconception as a kid, and I wouldn't talk about people like this. But someone posted this, and I can understanding someone thinking that Fortuna said this. Personally, as a kid I always thought that Bib said, "His day." Lol.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    ha ha! that awesome. boba's like, "i approve."

6. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Ha! I thought I was the only one to call them lifesavers

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  7. Tython Dawn

Tython Dawn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    In RotJ when Vader asks about the shuttles clearance code, Piett concludes the conversation with "As you wish, m'lord. Carry on." He says it to the officer at the console, but as a kid I thought he was talking to Vader and wondered why he didn't get choked right there for telling Vader what to do.

8. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    When I was younger I used to think that Darth Vader and The Emperor wanted Luke to join them on the dark side.

9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Didn't they, though?

10. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    No. Vader wanted Luke to join him and overthrow the Emperor. When the Emperor found out, he wanted Luke to kill his father and join him.

11. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Oh right, I get what you mean now.

12. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Oh right, I get what you mean now.

13. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    You definitely were not!

14. NaturalDisaster

NaturalDisaster Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2015
    Darth= Dark

I thought Leia said "Tatooine, their on tatooine"

in ROTJ I always thought the Emperor says "its quite safe from your pitiful little bed" not "little band"

I thought Chewie was a gorilla

The word "Opa" in dutch/german is "grandpa" Darth Vaders breathing sounds kind of like his saying "ooopaaa" I used to think he was dutch and wondered why he said "Grandpa" all the time

15. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    When I was a kid, I thought the superstructure on the super star destroyer was a city. That the ship was so big it had a city on it.

16. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    - In ANH after Luke resurfaces in the garbage shoot after being strangled, there is a loud *clunk* just before the walls start closing in. I thought for years that was the creature opening a door to GTFO.

- I used to think TIE fighters were called that because they looked like bow ties.

- Lifesaver...seriously, this is a generational lapse of epic proportions. Everyone thought this one didn't they? haha

- I thought Biggs was just a swear word. Blast it Biggs! (I still kinda do) :)

- Edit: just remembered the big one. When I was a kid I thought the Clone Wars was just a cool name for it. It never occurred to me it was actually a war involving clones! Bahaha

Ewok Poet likes this.
  17. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    I used to think Qui Gon was pronounced Quee Gon

18. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    This is a fantastic thread. There is no better sense of community than when people are forthcoming about things like this. :)

As a self-professed SW tech junkie, this is a bit embarrassing to admit. I held on to this assumption for YEARS...

Scene: ANH, When the Falcon comes out of hyperspace to find Alderaan destroyed. When the TIE comes in and fires a couple of shots to bait the Falcon, you see some conduit at the top of the cockpit go in and out of shadow, looking all the while (to me) like guns protracting and retracting, similar to the quad guns. Just a split second before, Han reaches up to flip a switch. I thought for years that there were a pair of cockpit guns at the top of the cockpit that Han fired, and he just led the TIE a bit too much and missed. Even more absurd, I assumed they just forgot to add them to the cockpit in the toys, the following movies, etc. Boy, was I on to something! [face_laugh]

The moment is around 2:40;

I swear, watching it again, I could still be led to think that was the case. I had to turn up the brightness on a still shot to really see what was going on. It's amazing how you can convince yourself of something, even when you (should) know otherwise upon further viewings. First impressions, and all that. :)

19. smittyjaja

smittyjaja Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2016
    I used to think Willard was Bail Organa.

Then I found out he died on Alderaan :(

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  20. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    I remember an argument I had with my sister when we were both "younglings";

It had been a while since we watched the trilogy, and I was convinced that Darth Vader's death in ROTJ was a result of age or a lack of will to live. I didn't use those words back then, but I clearly remember how I argued that he "just died". My sister, on the other hand, insisted his death was caused by Luke removing his helmet...

Can you imagine how ashamed I felt, when Luke's line in the movie more or less confirmed my sister's argument? [face_laugh]

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  21. MauiMisfit

MauiMisfit Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Not really a "misconception" but in the Atlanta airport - they have a train that connects the various terminals.

I can't remember if it was for the ESB or RotJ, but they changed the voice of the train to something that sounded eerily like Vader's. So, you'd hear him signal that the doors were closing and what the destination was going to be.

I used to have to travel a lot as a child - and man, I used to get so spooked out! I started refusing to get on that darn train.

Below was one of the voices they had - I couldn't find the matching Darth Vader version ... but it gives you a sense of what I mean:
    http://www.sunshineskies.com/hal-atl-robot-voice.html

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

Oh, my goodness! That reminds me of a parody I saw on YouTube. Luke took off Vader's mask and said, "Die." Oh, dear.

Then...there's this.

23. Sir_Greedo

Sir_Greedo Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    When I was a kid and I first saw ROTJ I saw Anakin Skywalker appearing as a force ghost (the original) and I thought he was Luke's uncle Owen. I was confused until my dad told me it was supposed to be Anakin.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. jedi9617

jedi9617 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 16, 2016
    This thread is hilarious hahhaha!

25. antiquark

antiquark Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2016
    Some misconceptions, and some rumors from my fellow schoolchildren...

- someone told me that Chewie was an actual creature created in a lab for the movie.

- someone told me that Chewie was an actual creature found unconscious in the desert, revived, then used in the movie.

- I thought that the C3PO prop was an actual mechanical robot, and the panel on his back was full of D-cell batteries.

- One of my friends thought that the stormtroopers were supposed to be robots.

- Leia's nickname for Han was "Skins." as in, "Somebody has to save us, Skins." during the death star shootout.