main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Fallout

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Sep 29, 2014.

1. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think that F4's main story is both the best and the worst thing in the game. The Main story was so good and I became so emotionally invested in it, even though I've read all the spoilers. I actually started to hate Fuhrer Maxson and the BOS for killing Danse and felt sad when I was banished from the Institute because I knew that Shaun now hated me. So once the main story was over. I just didn't feel like going on anymore, none of the side quests seem interesting to me and I feel like the character's story arc has come full circle with him having moved on from his wife death and the quest to find his son complete. This game lacks any big side story questlines like Skyrim did (Dark Brotherhood, Civil War, Companions etc etc.) but overall I feel satisfied with the game 10/10 :D

2. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    So i'm not the only person who gives my character an ACTUAL real life name and last name? I swear everyone on my friends list either has weird medieval RPG names or random plain 1st names, One was "John" just "John" [face_laugh] i digress, mine is James Patterson (Seeing as the male Sole survivor has an army background[face_flag]) ala Medal of honor reference.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

So you've never played Fallout 1 or 2?

4. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Nope, I would like too. But I don't have a PC (Macbook owner) so I can't play them. They seem far more realistic (As realistic as a Fallout game can get ofc ;) ) than the newer games. How is the story in F1 and F2 ? (I don't play RPGs with lousy storytelling *COUGH*Fallout3*COUGH*)

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's very easy to get Fallout 1 and 2 running on Mac, as the GOG.com versions run like melted butter in Wine (they actually used to be pre-ported by GOG, but there was some distribution rights weirdness). If you're not comfortable setting up your own wrapper, you can just use Paul the Tall's porting kit, which is a Steam-inspired automatic porting utility that turns the process into a series of easy-to-follow prompts.

Also they have some of the best stories in all of video gaming, period.

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, Sentrybots - those things have really had an upgrade, haven't they?

Also donned a hazmat and had a wander around the hellhole that is the Glowing Sea. It is incredibly vile but one hell of a graphical creation.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    At some point I'm really going to have to bust out the jetpack X-1 and finally explore the Glowing Sea (I have to advance the main plot eventually, I assume), but currently I've decided to become a part-time detective with Nick. It's like the robot buddy cop movie you always knew you wanted. Or alternatively:

One of those detective quests was even resolvable without violence! It's pretty rad.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    !? There's a jet-pack?

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, it's a high level power armor torso mod. Requires, like, Armorer 4/Scientist 4, worth it because jetpacks.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok - it'll be a while before I get anywhere near that then.

I will get it however.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    DarthTalgus - So, as a fan since literally Fallout 1 came out, I promise you Fallout 4 is definitely not 10/10. In that, anything meaningful in the game has been removed and likely for console peasants. (Sorry console players but you're the unwashed, unsophisticated masses of gaming).

In Fallout 2, you are able to gain a companion in the form of Marcus, a intelligent super mutant whom you may know from Fallout New Vegas. Now, anti-mutant sentiment is high in the games, so having Marcus with you limits your access and impacts in your interactions. You need certain levels of rep just to bring him places (though getting all the bullets out of him was hilarious).

In Fallout 4, the Brotherhood are anti-mutant and anti-synth. Take Nick or Strong up on the Prydwen, and nobody turns hostile. They make comments, but that's it.

To me, that's unsatisfying. RPGs should by their nature include tough choices where one might miss out on all of the toys. I will forever hate the idiots who played KOTOR/TOR and got upset that being "teh goodie who uses force lightening!!1!" meant you got dark side points and dark side corruption; those people should all perish in glorious fires.

If I want to take those companions it should be at the expense of access to areas and people who are intolerant, broadly, of those companions. I should be given a chance through deeds to challenge ideologies that perpetuate bigotry, but not with carte blanche access from the start.

Fallout 4 is pretty, and has the mechanics of an FPS + RPG + Fallout's VATS system. But it lacks depth that makes any tough choices actually meaningful.

If you can follow Ramza's advice above, you'll absolutely realise F1 and F2 are the greatest games ever in so many ways. Easter eggs. Story. Combat (You can crit people in the eyes or groin man!). Companions (Dogmeat! Goddamn Sulik!). Just... all of it.

Shadow Trooper likes this.
  12. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I would like to second the opinions of Ender Sai. Fallout has really fallen as a franchise ever since Bethesda took over. Fallout 1 and 2 are easily the best RPGs in the entire genre because of the amount of choice and consequence. A Great example of this is choosing to become a slaver. While in Bethesda Fallout, you were either prevented from doing these kinds of actions (Fallout 4) or could easily remove any penalties from them by donating to the church (Fallout 3), in Fallout 2, Slaver status is permanent and recognized by NPCs all across the game world. The gangsters of New Reno will be impressed by your criminal status, while the virtuous NCR rangers will try to shoot you on sight. Furthermore, the range of solutions you have to solve quests in these games are staggering. There are options for charismatic characters, for stealthy characters or guns blazing types. There are solutions for moral characters and criminals. In the old Fallout, you can even play a moron whom can barely talk, and suffer the consequences hich that kind of person would realistically face in that kind of situation. More than any other game, Fallout 1 & 2 give you the freedom to define exactly what kind of person your character is. Compare this to Fallout 4. The solution for every quest is kill all the things, and your character's motives and even personality have little room for variation. Furthermore, with the heavily dumbed down SPECIAL and Perks system, all characters play very similarly too. As for writing, Fallout 1 had one of the coolest stories I have seen in games. The ending in particular was amazing and in my opinion absolutely heart breaking. Fallout 2 has its moments but it gets a little bit too goofy some times. Still far better than Bethesda's stuff, but not on the same level as Fallout 1. One last word of advice. The originals are a far different experience than Bethesda's offerings and my opinion a far better one. Just don't go in expecting them to be like Bethesda's games.

13. ReyPrescott

Oct 3, 2015
    I never got into Fallout 1-2 (Was to young at the time) i played them at a friends house and was utterly bored within an hour so i youtubed a walkthrough and tried that instead.
    Im biased as i'm a huge BethSoft (and obsidian i guess) fan and prefer their games over InterPlay, however i respect their place in role playing game history. Also this travesty!

[​IMG]

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008

Ender Sai likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ramza, this kid said he was bored of Fallout 2.

You have admin powers, I'm just saying. Oh! And a ban stick.

16. ReyPrescott

Oct 3, 2015
    I looked up the second the page loaded in an the thumb nail scared the crap outta me [face_laugh]

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So, like. I cannot be stuffed finishing Fallout 4. I've got a good rep with Piper, I'm halfway through the main quest, level 42. Doing about 150 damage with Kellogg's Pistol (I maxed out the revolvers perk). Pretty damned solid in combat, and the lack of any real consequence to my actions is killing the immersion.

Tell me it done get better, Papa Ramza?

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Nah, if you're not into it I don't think it'll get better. I got grabbed more by the core gameplay loop than by the writing (although everything related to Nick Valentine is pretty well written), and if anything what I've heard about the main plot suggests it gets worse.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaa

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes I am no longer excited about this game. There is a guy at work raving about it who said the game was great, but followed that up 'The guns are awesome!' and 'New Vegas didn't really feel like Fallout' so...

21. ReyPrescott

Oct 3, 2015
    Ive almost platinumed this game, got 4 trophies left (Wasteland DIY, 2 railroad ones and the ****** *** Benevolent leader) which has me 2 second's away from potentially committing murder. [face_waiting]

22. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I gave up on benevolent leader in hopes that maybe Bethesda would eventually fix that broken system (not holding my breath). Once all the DLCs are out I may give it another shot.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I've heard there's a weird reliance on lighting to settler happiness, maybe building lighting features would help? Haven't bothered to test it out since they're free to toil in misery for all I care.

Ender Sai likes this.
  24. ReyPrescott

Oct 3, 2015
    Apparently, Sanctuary is the worst place to try for the trophy (a huge glitch or something). Im trying it the red rocket gas station way, if it doesn't work then i give up lol.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Dear lord. Fallout NV was a nice break from Fallout 3, and serves as a painful reminder to Fallout 4 players, of what Fallout actually should feel like.

I haven't played F4 in days, and won't go back to it. Profound let down. Anyone who likes it must hate story and character in games. Probably thought Bioshart Infinite was a deep game.