main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Battlefront: Twilight Company (released 11/3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cdgodin, Apr 17, 2015.

1. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014

Very interesting points indeed. As a lover of the book, I think its "detached" view of some things would lessen it in the eyes of some but I think it manages to add something too. Give how unceremonious some deaths of certain characters are, it works to add to the books feeling of "war is hell" without diving into preachy or cheesy territory with it. For me, it managed to get the perfect balance of being cold and comfortable at the appropriate moments.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Some of them likely would have gone in search of a new one.

my kind of scum, Kylun and Gorefiend like this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I found her to be a manipulative, unlikeable person most of the time.

(ducks, prepares for Round 2 of Jello vs. RF's pistol duel if necessary)

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I can so see them doing this. :D
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Red_moons

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    But she had such great style.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    ...true.

7. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I just finished this novel. I thought it was pretty good, although it moved a little slower than I had anticipated. I felt like the view we got of the Rebel army merged well with how we saw them in Lost Stars and even the Blade Squadron Insider stories, but Twilight Company still felt a little outside of that. It was cool to see them off on their own, fighting however they could. I didn't love the character of Namir, but I enjoyed the camaraderie of the rest of the crew.

8. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Oh, I definitely agree that the detached nature of the narrative and of Namir, especially, are some of its strong points. I think the way Freed handled that was deftly done. As you said: a perfect balance. Whether or not that detached nature is the reason I couldn't connect with the book, I don't know. It's possible; my emotional intelligence is... not always great, so subtler things doesn't always work for me. That said, I think it's probably just a mismatch of person and book, or else other factors inhibited my own enjoyment, because it's not a fault of the book itself. I'm mostly just sad and frustrating because I know for a fact that Twilight Company is the best new canon book I've read, and one of the best Star Wars books I've read, but I could only enjoy it from the standpoint of appreciating the craft rather than being drawn into the story.

9. TheAmericanTwi'lek

TheAmericanTwi'lek Jedi Knight

Aug 27, 2015
    I finished the book today. I shocking loved Roach...

my kind of scum and Gorefiend like this.
  10. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I've heard this book and am interested in getting it soon, but will it matter if you have the game or not? I'm really not into video games.

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

No the game has nothing to do with it, beside for some reason having the name in it.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope! Dive in.

13. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    So I just started this book, and it is kinda meh to me so far. I am somewhere in chapter three, and have not really connected to any of the characters or plot. Not that it is a bad book or poorly written, I think it is just not my cup of tea. I really enjoyed most of the other books I have read from the new canon (Tarkin being the one exception, since I could not get into that book either.) but for some reason I can not get into this. :/ Hope that it grabs my interest more as I keep reading!

14. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014

The first few chapters are a bit of a drag, the whole attack on the mansion segment near the start was a slog to get through but give it some more time and I think you'll get into it. Just, don't expect too much of the Imperial officers segments, they don't ultimately amount to much.

15. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Just finished reading TC. Received an abundance of novels and comics over christmas and I had heard good things about this novel so wanted to save it until the end.

interestingly, many of the comments here I felt the same. It too me a long time to really get into the book. the first few chapters dont make it easy for the reader. However if you persist there is reward. Alexander Freed does a good job once the story gets going on characterisation. Despite focusing on a small company I felt that he portrayed the entire battlefield extremely well, especially the finale.

the lingering plot point and most interesting character was Chalis and her motivations. I felt a bit conflicted. I was convinced she was a sleeper agent for the Empire. despite many deaths for stormies caused by her tactics for the rebellion, it felt very in tune with what the empire and Chalis would do to uncover the main rebellion.

I thought she was slipping tactics and co-ordinates to the empire, but alas that wasnt the case. It wasnt an anti-climax per say, and it was nice that there wasnt a big twist as i had thought. im not sure the ending was as satisfying as it could have been.

overall though, a great read and up there as one of the best nu canon reads.

16. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Just finished it. Really good book. Characters weren't as interesting as say the Lost Stars characters were but it was cool to see an entire book focus on the battles of an individual 'company'. For the longest time I thought that the book started out shortly after A New Hope and that the story covered a span of years. Then I saw it say that that they started working with Chalis just a couple months before and thought that might have been a typo. Had to search through my memory for awhile to realize that I was confusing flashback scenes with the current story.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just started this one, have read through the attack on the mansion. So far so good. I thought the Alliance getting confident enough to try to penetrate the Mid-Rim then getting pushed back was realistic for the time frame. The "recruitment" segment dd not really match what we saw in Lost Stars, with the Alliance being far from able to recruit openly, but that was the only segment so far that I've found questionable.

18. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I've got around to reading Twilight Company since getting it for Xmas last year. Thoroughly enjoying it, one the best new canon novels I've read so far :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Minor Spoilers for Life Debt ahead

I was hoping in Life Debt, after Ackbar has taken Kuat he'd mention how that "this isn't the first time a major operation to take the shipyards has been attempted"

20. Krambo

Krambo Jedi Padawan

Feb 5, 2016

I finished the book yesterday. This is exactly how I felt about it.

21. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    It has been such a long time since I read this novel, but I really enjoyed it. I'm a fan of War novels in general and this is what this book conveyed to me. I liked that this was from the perspective of the "Grunts" if you will, and from their point of view yes they fought, but some were not completely on board with the Rebel Alliance. It was realistic for the most part.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  22. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I finally got around to finishing this, after an initial attempt last year when it came out. Once past the initial chapters, it was a good page turner and I enjoyed reading it, but the book just stops rather than ends the story, with the key character arcs left open-ended. I wasn't sure that Namir had become a proper rebel after all and I felt Challis' arc just fizzled out. It all felt very 'to be continued' and yet unlike with Lost Stars, I didn't like or care enough about the characters to see where their stories go next, apart from Brand maybe.

23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013

Quoting this because I've just reread the book and I'm having a bit of a different reaction - the thing I'm most noticing that I hadn't noticed before is just how wretchedly unlikeable Tabor Seitaron, the ISD captain, is. He's just such an utter moral vegetable, a man who seems willing to sit by passively in the face of just about anything so long as it helps get him back to his comfortable retirement. His decision at the end really seems less like concern for his crew and more just him trying to find the quickest way to go home and forget all this. The true believers at least you can feel sorry for; Tabor is just a coward. I dunno how much the segments really "amounted" to in narrative terms, but as a character study, I found them kind of fascinating.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I feel really guilty because I just started reading this and it's a brilliantly plotted story so far. I thought this was gonna be some Ruins of Dantooine crap. This Freed guy actually put time into developing these characters. Namir is a pessimistic ass but he's completely realistic. It's cool having a reluctant hero who's clearly a good guy but doubts the main heroes for valid reasons. Usually those characters go to the dark side in SW.

Also the author gets major kudos for developing "things that already happened" that we never actually see but characters refer to constantly. The crazy nameless comm tech. The terrible battle of This or That. The fact that these are referenced repeatedly makes it feel like you were dropped into an actual campaign. I suppose there might actually be a hidden meaning there, since the Company seems to be falling apart at this point ("twilight").

I.... probably shouldn't read the above couple of posts. I'm seeing spoilers.... but I... will be back on reading more.

JediBatman, Jedi Ben and LelalMekha like this.
  25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    This novel is both one of my favorites among the new canon books, and one of the biggest disappointments. There is so much good stuff here, and it's almost never referenced in other books, comics, etc. Outside of being mentioned in On The Front Lines and in the Rogue One novelization, Twilight Company hasn't appeared anywhere. Same with the Mid Rim Retreat, which has only appeared in this book. It's a real shame.