main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC The Dag House

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Dags, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    Geez it's my first visit here since a year and a bit ago and I see the place hasn't changed much in terms of the overwhelming silence.

Isn't it funny that we have a new SW TV show AND a new movie coming out yet this forum is still as quiet as ever.

sigh. :(

I may not return for another year and bit at this rate.

2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Stay around for a bit and hang out with us.

3. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Pull up a chair and join us. I'm sure the wave of new members will arrive soon....... Maybe

4. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    I is here. I is (somewhat) new to here. But here, so silent it is.

5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Welcome back! :)
    How have you been?

6. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    To be honest, I was originally from South Australia so back in the day posted a fair bit there... but those were the days where posts were a daily occurrence, yet it unfortunately appears that such frequent discussion has since greatly dropped :(

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I remember those earlier days well. SA and NSW are a bit more active at the moment… and there has been some of a turn around now with the new films so things have picked up a bit. No doubt that there will be quite a few keen to return and see the new films together again. :)

8. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Ahhh, there seems to be a glimmer of activity in the old VicFF girl. :)

Back in the PT days the VICFF boards were rife with all these students posting threads on everything except SW. It was certainly hectic for a number of years, but then they all left and there was nothing but silence ... and so it has remained.

Personally I think with social media being so prevalent now, these forums don't hold anywhere near as much appeal as they did a decade back, and I doubt the new films will change that mindset. Unfortunately Darth Facebook has a lot to answer for.

In any event, it's certainly nice not having to speak to myself for a change :)

9. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Good to see you again Dags. :)

I remember those days well and quite a few antics too. You are right about social media and Darth FB and it is unfortunate that it has become like that. Oh well, we will be getting a SW film a year, starting next year so there be a change and anything is possible.

For the meantime, always welcome to hang out with the rest of us :)

10. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Geez it's all closing down isn't it? I just had a sniff around the place and most sites were lucky to have any posts from 2015!

In case you're wondering, I visit the forums a lot, just not here. As I edit the Star Walking newsletter (The Force), I'm more active in the film boards where I do most of my research. Wait! What's The Force? Well I'm glad you asked...

http://starwalking.weebly.com/journal---the-force.html

So considering most of the topics in VicFF are closed, I figured by posting this little message The Dag House will stay open a little longer. :)

11. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Yeah it's a bit sad, we've got the largest fandom in the country and can't seem to muster a few posts a week?

Got to be a way to get it kicked up a notch somehow?

12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Good to see you again Dags :)

It is just after the holiday/crazy period… more people should be coming back…

The newsletter looks good, how do you find working on it?

13. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    I actually quite enjoy it, though unlike most editors who receive submissions then just work out what to include, up until recently I wrote ALL of the material.

In 2014 I pushed to move the newsletter into a monthly digital publication which has worked out quite well, needless to say this allowed us to drop our membership price to be cheaper than when the club started back in 1988. Fancy that.

The obvious problem I have is competing against social media - just like this forum - so I tend to focus more on articles and creating discussion points rather than advertising the latest gimmick, so it's particularly nerd friendly. :) Now this format works with some people more than others, but that's just how it has turned out.

14. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Well guess what? It's now July 2020 and being in the middle of the Covid-19 crisis - with social isolation and all - I thought I'd pop back here just to see if anything had changed. Alas the last post I see in this thread was from myself 4 years ago.

To be honest I thought this site would have long since closed down, but it's still hangin' in there which is great to see. Maybe I'll pop back in another four years. See ya then. :)

15. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Samo samo for Oceania........but elsewhere it's bubbling like a witches cauldron!! :p RPG, Fan Fiction, Novels, even Legends is still going! Community of course will never die!

16. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It has been a wild several months. I hope you are keeping safe.

17. Tari Narvina

Tari Narvina Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2018
    you're not wrong

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  18. Jedi_jem

Jedi_jem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Hello all!
    I had the same thought Dags.. came to see if this place still existed since I haven’t posted since 2006 and here it is still standing!

Last time I was here I was a teenager, now I’m in my 30’s.. this place is seriously like a time capsule [face_laugh]

Hope everyone is well!

19. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Welcome home........ ;)

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Welcome back!

This place holds a lot of history and still going.

I am keeping well, I hope you are too! :)

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  21. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    So how's this for a gag, my recent post was in 2020 and I said I'd pop back in four years to see how things are going... well it's not quite four years, but three is close enough - and if I can be the last poster in the entire Oceania forum, well I'll be happy. :)

So let me quote a classic line from Yoda "I am wondering, why are you here?"

For whatever reason I just had a quick look at some of the VicFF posts from 20 years ago, wow, wasn't the world different back then, both from a real life and SW point of view! For SW itself, we were right in the midst of the Prequel Trilogy and any thoughts of LFL going to Disney, the creation of Sequel Trilogy along with all the spin off shows they've since produced, didn't even register as a remote possibility in the mind's of the fans.

From a personal perspective, I was massively involved in SW fandom back in 2003. Due to my involvement in Star Walking Inc., I spent a LOT of hours discussing the movies and other SW lore at various Skyforce meetings with likeminded fans, whilst also preparing for the Return of the Jedi 20th anniversary banquet which also occurred in that year. In addition I was also heavily involved in the local fan film scene, which saw a plethora of creative and enthusiastic people come together to produce their own films set in the GFFA. Honestly, these were really great times and I was proud to be a part of it.

These days though things are a little different. I retired from Star Walking back in 2017 after 28 years of service on the committee, and even though I still enjoy my SW life, I'm certainly not as 100% devoted to learning the ins and outs of the duck's guts as I once was - BUT having said that, Sci-Fi as a whole is still a major part of my life and always will be.

But getting back to this dying/dead forum, 20 years ago was another time and another place with a whole lot of other people. Sure all of it might be lost in the realms of history, but for me, well, I can still chalk it up to being yet another nostalgic SW outlet I was involved in.

Maybe I'll take a lesson from my last post and pop back here again in a couple of years just to keep this thread going just that little bit longer. Why? Well, why not. :)