main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions What is the one thing that you are most glad is no longer canon?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by beedubaya, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the one EU item that are you glad is no longer canon most of all?

For me, its The Force Unleashed video game. I could go on and on about everything wrong with the game but I will keep it simple. I never liked its explanation for the formation of the rebel alliance nor what it did with Vader's character. I also never liked the idea of Palpatine and Vader having intentionally pushed the formation of the rebel alliance. I also am not a fan of the Starkiller character. Plus, as bad as the original game was, it was a masterpiece compared to the second installment.

I think Star Wars Rebels is doing a much better job at it.

2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I agree. While I dislike that the old canon was scrapped, if there is one thing that I guess I should be grateful for, its probably the canon-retcon entanglement mess produced by TFU. The gameplay was brilliant, and the story was fun, but implications for the canon were a bit headache-inducing.

But generally, I'm not too happy about what happened to the EU (i.e. my fav bits of SW).

3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'll have to go with TFU as well. It felt very out of place both in context with the EU and the movies. The first may not have been bad on it's own, but that's it really. TFU II on the other hand, was out of place in context with the EU, movies and even the first TFU. And it was bad.

4. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Yeah, TFU 1 and 2 for me too.

spicer likes this.
  5. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    The Force Unleashed series, MINUS Kota's militia which I think is cool. Also that dark empire Palpatine reborn stuff. Never liked that.

6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    You guys beat me to it, I'm gratefull TFU is not canon anymore either. While the gameplay was fun enough, I didn't like how over the top starkiller was, nor how the rebellion was formed. Plus TFU 2 story wise was just downright pointless. Though I will give that Kota was the best part of the TFU series.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  7. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I loved that conversation between Luke and Mara in the Hand of Thrawn Duology when Mara basically says that same thing. "Luke. That Dark Side episode. What gives?"
    Sums up how out of character that whole thing was for Luke.

8. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    TFU is one thing that I am glad is no longer Canon but I will be honest: I mostly read the books and things took a down hill turn after the NJO series ended. It felt suddenly like someone had spiked the food and drink supplies of the story groups responsible for bringing us the books. I didn't mind them trying to add elements from the PT and have Luke and Leia finally learn who their mother was but how they went about it was terrible.

Oh, three more things I am glad are no longer Canon: anything written by Karen Traviss, the Jedi Apprentice Series and the Jedi Quest series. I am sorry to those that like Karen Traviss and I do think she is a talented writer but her putting Jango, Boba, Clones and a few other characters on pedestals and the Jedi are almost worst villains as the Sith I found it to be off putting II won't say anymore since I can go on rants about this subject).

I don't like how Jude Watson portrayed a teenage Anakin Skywalker; she wrote him almost like a mini Vader at times and said herself that she couldn't see Anakin as anyone but Vader;.Why are you writing a series where Anakin Skywalker is one of the main characters if you can't see him for the good person he is at this point in time?

The Jedi Apprentice series had too many Canonical errors in it to stay.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Sith being 18,000 years younger than the Jedi. An anticlimactic origin for a sworn enemy.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  10. VeryMacabre

VeryMacabre Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 25, 2015
    Darksaber... Just Darksaber.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

11. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    TFU, Denningverse, SWTOR where Sith are always the lesser evil that the Republic is at a truce/teamings up with. Honestly, I'm not too angry EU is gone, it's not been taken great care of in later years, just that it's best corners aren't the ones that were salvaged for parts in the new EU.

12. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I'd say there are a lot of weird retcons that had to be made. I think I'm most glad of the Jedi Prince series being out. Because of that, so many things that were never referenced again came to be (Han's skyhouse, Luke's apprentice who is some kind of prince of the Jedi order, Palpatine having some three-eyed kid). And on top of that, you have retcons like Han and Leia had two weddings because the first was interrupted by something you never see and then something else you don't see happened and they decided not to marry until later when they do. What?

13. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Boba Fett falling into the Sarlacc three times.

V-2, Jedi Jessy, JediBatman and 3 others like this.
  14. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Luuke Skywalker, Abeloth, Darth Krayt, Imperial Resurgence, pretty much everything past the formation of the New Republic and the New Jedi Order. I also was never fond of the Outbound Flight. It seemed rather pointless to me.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    KOTOR happening so soon after TOTJ. They look and feel so disconnected. It's bizarre how KOTOR is closer to TOTJ than to TOR on the timeline.

Revan surviving 300 years after KOTOR.

Sinrebirth Zorrixor Darth Dreadwar

Gamiel and Darth Dreadwar like this.
  16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I would say the Denningverse (post-NJO) and TFU, but the continued inclusion of TCW and the loss of everything else from the EU completely counteracts any pleasure I would have gleaned from their removal.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Ysalamiri, clone madness, and Force-sensitivity being clonable. Luuke left me wondering why Palpatine and Vader had any need to turn the original Luke to the dark side and why Palpatine never cloned Vader.

Galaxy of Fear.

Endor_boy and Darth Dreadwar like this.
  18. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    @darklordoftech Interesting fact for you.
    Ancient Egypt (the pyramid era most think of) actually is closer to the modern day than it is to Ancient Ancient Egypt.
    Somewhat related.

I concur with The Force Unleashed. I love it but it's is just stupid and over the top. Fun to play though and I like it.

Silly in universe words for stuff like toilets- refreshers and cafs.

*haven't actually read much of the EU so not much here.

19. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    The Sun Crusher and Qui Xux. Basically most of the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

20. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Thame Cerulian. Why on earth did this character ever need to exist? AOTC had Yoda referring to Dooku as his "old Padawan", implying that Yoda personally instructed Dooku to knighthood. Having a different character (Thame Cerulian) teaching Dooku to knighthood is just utterly pointless and goes nowhere.

21. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
  22. Warren Moonwalker

Warren Moonwalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    all jedi/sith/force using clones, i hate the idea of creating clone emperors

23. Darth Aphrodite

Darth Aphrodite Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Jacen Solo, god I hate his guts with a burning passion ! :)

corinthia likes this.
  24. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    Dark Nest Trilogy and TFU being canon...not one mention of Galen Marek, then the game comes out, and all of the sudden the novels have Leia remembering him...I hated it.

25. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I'd say the Dark Empire Trilogy. One of my pet peeves for EU stuff is when they make things from the movies seem insignificant. Luke's triumphant "I'll never turn to the dark side!" line in ROTJ being undone, and Vader's redemption being changed from "Killed the Emperor" to "Caused the first of the Emperor's many death" are both things I'm glad are gone.

Not to mention it being moved on the timeline from "Just after ROTJ" to "10 years after ROTJ" caused weirdness like Coruscant falling again into Imperial hands not given the weight it deserved or ever being brought up again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.