main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Will they survive? / Couldn't someone have lived?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by thedeco, Jan 6, 2016.

1. thedeco

thedeco Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2016
    Will they?

Personally I think it will be like Saving private ryan in that subject - start with a team of around 7, 2 die in the middle and another 2-3 dying in the final climatic battle, only 2 surviving in the end.

If it won't end with only 1-2 surviving , well that just takes the emotional weight out of the entire film, IMO.

What do you think?

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    1 or 2, max. They might try to subvert the usual SW happy ending trope and wipe them out. All of them.

3. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I think they all die.

"Several transimissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel spies."

That implies they couldn't physically deliver the plans, and had to rely on space-email. Maybe they transmitted the plans to the Tantive IV and then provided a distraction so the Tantive could escape, sacrificing themselves.

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think Felicity Jones lives if only so they can make a Felicity Jones standalone prequel-sequel.

dekaneas and JediMatteus like this.
  5. thedeco

thedeco Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2016
    I wonder if they can kill 5 characters or even all of them and still make it so parents will take their kids with them.

Im afraid if Disney will soften it so parents will bring their kids = more tickets = more money

Sent from my LG-D405 using Tapatalk

6. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    If what the crew said is true and they're going for a darker tone, having them all bite the dust would be a nice change of pace. Hell I can practically see it now, the rebel spies all dying in slow motion, Felicity Jones just barely relaying the information to Leia and dying with her mission accomplished!

Hopeless, Jar-Jar Binks, Rabs and 2 others like this.
  7. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Pretty much this.

dekaneas likes this.
  8. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    No, let Lord Vader unleash his anger upon them.

darklordoftech and Anakin_Prime like this.
  9. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hmmm, why do I have a weird feeling that among the few survivors from that bunch, only one of the Chinese actors will be there?

Which means that despite their big name status in China, it's likely either Donnie Yen or Jiang Wen's characters will die... And leaving only the other guy to make it to the end of the movie, with possibly Felicity Jones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    I think they may all survive actually. Well the main cast shown in the first official photo anyway. Not to sure about Mads or Forrest surviving. No my theory is Disney are hoping the crew of Rouge One prove popular enough to kick off their own franchise. If that is with new movies or through comics/novels /video games remains to be seen. I think Disney are looking to follow the Marvel blueprint by releasing multiple films in the one year. If R1 is successful they could develop a sequel by 2020. This could be the first year with two Star Wars movie. R1 pt 2 could be released alongside the third spin-off which we believe to be Boba Fett. 2021 Could then see a Han Solo sequel [the first movie coming out in Dec 2018] alongside another new star wars property[ maybe a spin-off based around a ST character]. This is how i imagine they will do it. They have talked about developing the Star Wars brand.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm thinking all but 1-2 bite it.

12. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Bothans were the other DS, right? Cos:

[​IMG]

No but srsly. I know they don't say as much in ANH but there's certainly precedence for most/all to be dispatched.

13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I think a few will survive; Disney wants to expand the universe, especially during OT timeline. There is no reason to kill off non-Force users - none of them will effect the ending of RoTJ.

Thorin Oakenshield likes this.
  14. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    VADER I have traced the Rebel spies to
    her. Now she is my only link to find
    their secret base!

COMMANDER She'll die before she tells you
    anything.

In the original extended ANH screenplay dialogue Vader made it clear that the Rebel spies had either been killed by the Empire or committed suicide, rather than to be captured and tortured for information.

15. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    They will not follow the Marvel route. Lucasfilm is set on one film a year for greater quality. And Bob Iger respects the work Kathleen and Lucasfilm are doing, so he won't jeopardize that and force them to do more than one a year. SW and Marvel are totally different. Each film sort of relies on each other in a way. SW is SW, a much bigger universe with a bigger canon.

16. Thorin Oakenshield

Feb 9, 2016
    I don't think they are being forced into anything. But you have to think that the will aim to emulate the success of a Marvel and eventually start producing more than one movie a year.

17. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    What I think makes the most sense right now is while they can assume the spin-offs will perform, they don't yet know it. They don't have any need to rush to saturate the market and can afford to see what happens and make decisions down the line about how many movies to make and when.

Thorin Oakenshield likes this.
  18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I hope so. I like the tragic aspect of Star Wars and the film will stand out as a more interesting film to study if all or most of the team die...., of course, Disney doesn't want a sad depressing SW film so I'm sure they'll be fine and we will forget this film once 8 drops....

Half sarcasm by the way :p I do hope they die though (yikes that sounds bad out of context)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    personally i'd like a dirty dozen type scenario. some die in battle. some give their lives for the mission, etc. only a few or one survive.

TooMuchBBQ likes this.
  20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that MOST of them will die. But I see one or two surviving, albeit perhaps also being wounded. I think that they'll go dark with this movie, but I don't know that they'll want to go as dark/bleak as "they all die."

Besides, should the film do well, they might want to use the surviving characters in another project down the road (or at least keep that option open to them).

AmySolo likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Pretty much this. Last rat standing.

La Calavera likes this.
  22. Kynirin

Kynirin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    I'd expect them mostly not to make it. It just adds to that feeling of danger and threat, makes their mission look difficult and important, and there's a heavy price to pay. The ones who are still alive by the time they send the hurried transmission, they're caught by maybe Vader himself, and we leave the movie there with the door sliding open and him standing there. Something like that gives the remaining characters a Disney death where you know that the Empire is not going to go soft on them, but we don't see what really happens to them. It may leave the door open for the characters resurfacing later.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree with many here that most of them will probably die, with at most two or three alive at the end. One of the survivors will probably be Felicity Jones' character.

dekaneas likes this.
  24. Thorin Oakenshield

Feb 9, 2016
    I was thinking what could be Felicity's arc through these movies. What would she have to sacrifice? I thought of her as an imperial citizen who at the start is secretly helping a young jedi. Vader comes and talks with her, a litlle like the opening of Inglourious Basterds. He finds the jedi and kills him. Felicity's character is warned if she helps another jedi again her family will suffer. [The reason he does not kill her is because she is part of an important family, loyal to Palpatine.] So for a long time she is quiet, but when she hears about the Death Star she has to help. So she sets about stealing the plans and getting them to the rebels. Anyway the complications for her are that if she is caught her and her family will die. Of course the movie ends with the imperials identifing her and imprisioning her family so she has to flee into the outer rim. Her goal in movie 2 and 3 would be about helping the rebellion to overthrow the empire so she can free her family before it is too late. Movie 2 would involve the Hutts sending bounty hunters after her to get the massive bounty on her head. Movie 3 would start after ROTJ and involve the rebels trying to free political prisoners and involve Felicity's crew trying to locate her famil.

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Knowing Disney, 1-3 will survive. They probably wouldn't want to go completely Milky Way Dark on this, but [face_dunno]

nightangel and AmySolo like this.