main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VIII Production Announcement Video

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 15, 2016.

1. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    As far as the time jump/crawl....maybe there just won't be a crawl. Did you ever think of that? This is Rian Johnson we're talking about

2. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    This is probably utter phooey but the deep focus Luke shot gives me the impression that we'll see events from his point of view up until Rey arrives up the steps. Perhaps something that'll shed light on his reluctance to accept Rey's offer.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  3. wcleere

Aug 12, 2002
    Rey's not even holding the saber nearly the way she was at the end of 7. The Luke shot might be for 8 and is shown here to look like it's the end of 7, but i think the Rey shot is just a quick throw in for teaser purposes. Again, as has been said, this stuff was shot months ago

4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Not even a possibility. Rian likes and respects SW and won't destroy it. That's just starting an argument for argument's sake.

I don't think they're going to show any portion of Epi8 in any way, shape, or form EVEN if it is a repeat of the end of TFA. That's a tease by using a different shot of the TFA ending. Nothing more, nothing less. It's common sense. Just to whet the appetite.

Dewback, AmySolo and 11-4D like this.
  5. Tommy-wan

Tommy-wan Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 15, 2015
    Kathleen Kennedy and Bob Iger would never allow that to happen lol

AmySolo likes this.
  6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah, they'd be so petrified to show like 30 seconds of Episode VIII, with no context or dialogue whatsoever. Yeah no, they wouldn't be afraid of that at all.

7. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Since they just announced filming in April for the Ach To scenes im even more convinced the trailer is just recycled old material. Its a powerful scene from TFA and it simply is used here for effect.

8. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016

They filmed on Ach-To in November. That's what this is from. MSW reported on it at the time that just Rian Johnson, Mark, Daisy and some crew were there for a week. That's way too late to use for TFA.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    JediLight and loststars like this.
  10. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003

i googled and searched but i cant find any documentation they filmed last november?

11. loststars

Jan 22, 2016

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/09/a...lig-michael-today-for-star-wars-episode-viii/

here it is! woops wrong month, it was the end of September but it's for Episode VIII, not TFA. JJ would be getting the final cut ready at that point, but adding in more stuff at the last minute.

12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    And this version wasn't really as powerful. I doubt they would show the same scene in Episode 8, with the characters having completely different facial expressions etc.

13. loststars

Jan 22, 2016

It's almost as if it's a continuation of the scene where they talk and is brand new

14. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    There are so many sites, I forget which is clickbait & which isn't. I'm skeptical of the apparent lack of source on this, first of all.

If it's true tho, it seems odd to me. That could be more skepticism tho. Lastly, it depends on the frequency of tweets and time frame for what this could be. Could be a red herring but the fact that it's OT may mean something. But I don't tend to guess without more context than this. :D

15. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Right. So Rey puts back the saber into her bag, and then takes it out to hold it out again. Got it.

16. loststars

Jan 22, 2016

Editing dude. It's a thing. They showed us the part we've already seen and then continued on with the scene. They didn't film them not talking on set on the death island for a week!

17. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I doubt they will start by showing a continuation of a scene from the previous movie, the continuity won't be flawless. They could have shot scenes of them after that scene you know.

18. wcleere

Aug 12, 2002
    Someone said earlier that we don't know how long it took to get to Ach-to so it' very conceivable that we could get a slight back jump at the beginning of episode 8. Meaning that we can get a crawl about Kylo ren getting to snoke, What happened to Phasma, see a nice starscape, with a traditional star destroyer open, some first order recap, watch Captain Phasma come back to life, or whatever - and throw a couple things in motion,. Then cut to Luke and Rey at the moment we left them. It's not traditional Star Wars, but nether is a hard cliffhanger like episode 7 ended with. You simply cannot, as a storyteller, omit the first words and interactions between Rey and Luke.

The other option, and probably the most realistic one, is that we will be given a cocktail napkin summation of what happened between Luke and rey during the crawl and then jump forward a bit.

19. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015
    Can you imagine what it would be like to write these movies and read these threads and fan reactions?

Ach-to?

Isn't that Act II?

It must be a strange feeling.

20. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm kind of surprised that most people, even pro-movie hounds like Collider, haven't even mentioned the possibility that the footage we saw in the Ep 8 production announcement was filmed specifically for the Ep 8 promo stuff and isn't actually in Ep 8. Everyone just seems to be assuming it's actually part of the movie. The first thing I felt when I saw it was me being told "remember how episode 7 left off with Luke's enigmatic reaction to seeing Rey with his lightsaber? Well, now we're shooting the movie that's going to delve into that. Be excited". That's it. That's all I assumed that footage was there to tell us. If this were Lord of the Rings or some other series that continues from the point the previous movie left off, I'd assume differently but since it's a saga where that pattern has been otherwise for seven movies (6 inter-movie periods), I find it unlikely. The work-arounds people speculate about (it's a flashback, it's just the first scene before they skip ahead, it's already a time jump) strike me as a lot of brain work for nothing. If you think Star Wars wouldn't continue where it left off, why not just assume this footage isn't actually in the movie, rather than come up with some convoluted alternate explanation of how can be included?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dewback and civilsecret like this.
  21. gizka

gizka Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2016
    Could still be purely promo material, but to clarify (sorta) that it isn't associated with TFA:
    [​IMG]

Dewback, civilsecret and nightangel like this.
  22. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, yes, obviously THAT shot is from the EP 8 shoot. It's the 2 other shots that are in question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grey Matter likes this.
  23. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016

Rocky IV. I can hear the training montage music in my head (I have the Rocky movies soundtrack on cassette tape) :)

yes, hopefully a reissue of the 1977 Theatrical version. Or Pete Mayhew announces he'll be back for ep VIII

24. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    Love the video but I don't think this confirms the next movie starts right after TFA.

Darth_Articulate and Dewback like this.
  25. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Luke kind of looks like the Dude. All he needs is a White Russian and a sweet rug.