main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Mirroring between consecutive episodes (1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5 ,5/6, 6/7) (Heavy Picture Content)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by HevyDevy, Dec 9, 2014.

1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    ESB / ROTJ (cont...)

Some parallels demonstrating Luke surpassing Vader

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luke eager to fight the man that "killed his father".
    [​IMG]
    "I will not fight you father."
    [​IMG]

Struggling
    [​IMG]
    Confident
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vader's fury
    [​IMG]
    Luke's fury
    [​IMG]

Dismember revenge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    ESB /ROTJ (last post)

-
    ESB
    Vader: "The force is with you, young Skywalker. But you are not a Jedi yet."
    ROTJ
    Vader: "Your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful, as the Emperor has forseen.'

-
    ESB
    Vader: "Only your hatred can destroy me!"
    ROTJ
    Luke: "I feel the conflict within you, let go of your hate!"

-
    Luke arguably undergoes an alternate form of training by confronting Vader in ESB. He returns to Dagobah in ROTJ, and Yoda informs him "No more training do you require. Already know you that which you need."
    Perhaps Luke was better trained than Anakin because he has hands on experience and time to reflect between ESB and ROTJ.

-
    ESB
    Vader: "Obi-Wan has taught you well." (admiring Luke's power)
    ROTJ
    Vader: "Obi-Wan has taught you well." (Perhaps a more fatherly comment this time)

-
    ESB
    Vader: "Come with me. It is the only way."
    ROTJ
    Vader: "It is pointless to resist, my son." (sounds less aggressive than the ESB line "It is useless to resist. Don't let yourself be destroyed as Obi-Wan did!")

I actually read these two lines partially as Vader maybe starting to relate to Luke, pitying the futility of Luke's position, and perhaps remembering who he once was. I like the progression in Vader from being willing to kill Luke at first to giving up the darkside and saving his life.

-
    ROTJ
    Obi-Wan: "I thought I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong."
    Vader: "Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The contrasts at play in these two films are significant I think. The endings are kind of opposites, ESB very sober and uncertain (yet dreamy), ROTJ jubilant and almost completely resolved. Any rivalry between Han and Luke for Leia is gone, and you can arguably be sure the characters are fulfilled and where they want to be.

Last shot of Vader in ESB (moody)
    [​IMG]
    Anakin's return (elation)
    [​IMG]

Open-ended
    [​IMG]
    Final
    [​IMG]

3. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    One I'm surprised I missed between the last shots of AOTC and ROTS...

Luke and Leia's real parents wedding
    [​IMG]
    Baby Luke passed onto his new parents, the droids pictured in the AOTC shot are destined to eventually come to him on Tatooine
    [​IMG]

4. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Reviving this thread in case anyone who might like it hasn't seen it.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    When 'reviving' threads, please add some content as opposed to just 'upping' it. Just general policy.

6. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Just wondering if anyone is interested in this thread still. I get the feeling people didn't bother going all the way through to the ESB/ROTJ links.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Just found out this thread existed, and I just finished going through all of them now. I'd be interested in seeing some Return of the Jed/The Force Awakens comparison. Obviously there isn't much to go off of just yet since we only have two teasers and a handful of screenshots from Entertainment Weekly, but when the time comes it would be pretty neat.

Avnar, HevyDevy and Lulu Mars like this.
  8. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Thanks for taking the time to go through it all!
    I think there is a more of this kind of stuff in the films than people estimate (no idea which are intentional though). Lucas made the prequels really complex. I doubt TFA will go the same route, but you never know. Still looking forward to it immensely.

In case you missed these threads you may be interested...

My fave links - TPM/ROTS

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...irrors-1-4-2-5-3-6-note-image-heavy.50023924/

Antpocalypse and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  9. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Anyone willing to take a stab at any meaning in seemingly similar shots of Tattooine and Hoth from ANH/ESB on pg one?

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    you should do some ep 6 / ep 7 comparisons.

Avnar likes this.
  11. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I've always seen it as Luke trading one desolate place for another. He left Tatooine thinking the Rebellion would offer an opportunity to explore the galaxy and enter a glorious world of fun and adventure, and at first that seems to be true. But then in ESB he ends up basically back on Tatooine again, except now the endless desert is made of snow instead of sand. It ties in with ESB's whole theme of Luke leaving adolescence and entering the harsh reality of adulthood. The Rebellion isn't all whiz-bang heroics and uplifting award ceremonies; he can't actually take on the whole Empire himself; his dad isn't a righteous martyr, he's a despicable villain.

12. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Nice! I hadn't thought of that at all.
    It seems an implied theme, whether the desolation of the two places is necessarily linked to that or not.

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Here's one I saw for consecutive movies (ROTS and TFA)

Not I think particularly connected but hey it's close enough for now.

Concerned ultra hot dark haired girl with droid:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    If Rey isn't Padme's granddaughter I'll eat my hat. The resemblance is unbelievable.

Antpocalypse and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  15. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

Did Luke really surpass his father? I don't know. I doubt that brute strength with the Force could have allowed Luke to surpass Anakin. And to be honest, I never thought Anakin's heart was ever really in that fight.

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Total co-incidence of casting I'd say!

:p

17. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    "Nothing happens by accident."
    Gui-Gon Jinn
    :cool:

18. Hilal

Hilal Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 2, 2015
    Something I noticed and wanted to point out is that in ep II, in the famous fireplace scene, Anakin says he "can't breathe" because his love of Padme is smothering him.... and then in ep III, as he is burned up, he is again next to fire and now as he transforms into Vader he can't breathe!

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Grevious's introduction in ROTS and Vader's in ANH.

20. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
  21. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    The Emperor certainly seemed to think that Luke had potential to be stronger than a suited Vader. And while I agree Vader wasn't completely trying to kill Luke in ROTJ, I think when Luke got angry he was genuinely too much for Vader.

You have to understand that before Vader ultimately decides to kill Palpatine to save Luke he is still evil enough to be trying in his duel with Luke.

22. Antpocalypse

Antpocalypse Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2016
    HevyDevy

Thank you so much for all this effort and for making these amazing series of threads! =D= I've gone through all of them now. After recently going through a few bad days, just sitting back and going through these parallels is just the therapeutic experience I needed! :) [:D]

I love ANH and ROTS the most out of all 6 films and seeing the parallels between them was a great experience. I've been listening to ROTS's soundtrack while doing this too. Can't tell you how relaxed I'm feeling now. :D

Btw, isn't Bail Organa's ship in ROTS the 'Sundered Heart' and not the 'Tantive IV' ? They are both "Corellian CR90 Corvettes" owned by Bail but the one we see in ROTS is the Sundered Heart and the one in ANH is the Tantive IV.

BenYodaDagobah and HevyDevy like this.
  23. Antpocalypse

Jan 26, 2016
    A question HevyDevy : In the first post showing comparison shots between TPM and AOTC, why does the view from the windows of the Jedi Council chamber change so drastically? Did the position of the chamber change from one of the outer spires to the central spire by any chance? I remember reading that somewhere...

24. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Good call, I realised later that apparently it isn't the Tantive 4, but I remember it was sometimes described as that.

Glad you got something out of these threads, some of it is pretty obscure if you aren't watching the movie thinking about it.

I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense I think.

To me the Council room shots significantly show Lucas likes to put characters in the same situations for contrast. To come at it from one angle in TPM, then what happens when it is eerily similar in the next film. Qui-Gon's presence tellingly missing, slightly ominously because there is an air of mystery, and Obi-Wan in reverse-roles. .

It's just a very ironic series.

Eternal_Jedi and Antpocalypse like this.
  25. Antpocalypse

Jan 26, 2016

Good points, but I'm still confused as to why the view of Coruscant changed so much when internally they are the same shots.