main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red23

Red23 Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2015
    I think it's good to have a thread where we can discuss the ST without having to fear endless pissing on the prequels by the OT-only fanboys.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    You'd be surprised how tame this board is compared to many others. One of many reasons this is by far my favourite online SW community

3. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Don't forget the best GOAT mods.

4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I almost said that but I didn't want to be perceived as sucking up [face_laugh]

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    ^ That looks great!

Cryogenic and thejeditraitor like this.
  7. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  8. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I wish they would have gone with that concept art for Maz's planet. As it stands, her planet is nearly indistinguishable from D'Qar.

Jcuk, Deliveranze, Alienware and 3 others like this.
  9. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    So this post is brought on by my concurrent watching of the Clone Wars, reading volume 1 of the Clone Wars comic from over a decade ago and listening to the Darth Plagueis audio book:

After the first couple times I saw Episode VII I thought what I wanted from the sequel trilogy was the final word on Anakin's legacy as the chosen one and more delivery on the story of Darth Plagueis the wise. I would still like to see that but saturating my self with prequel era stuff has shifted this slightly:

The Darth Plagueis novel and the prequel films(and I'm sure tons more material) show a very harsh Jedi dogma that forbids people contact with their families. In the case of Anakin he had to abandon his mother to slavery and ultimately death. As I listen to the Plagueis book and hear the sad state of Senator Vidar Kim's family it's clear to me that the content creators want the audience to know that this is wrong.

In the Mortis arc in TCW computer animated, Anakin sees his future as Vader and STILL concludes that it is the Jedi who stand in the way of peace. In the arc immediately after, Anakin and tarkin agree that the Jedi are not willing to do what must be done to end the war. It reminds me of the school of thought that says Batman is responsible for every death the Joker caused every time he refrains from killing him.

I think if the Jedi order were compassionate enough to the idea of attachment to have allowed their most powerful member ever to save his slave mom, they could have avoided everything that happened. That Vader's fulfillment of the prophecy entailed the end of the Jedi order is not some cruel joke on the part of the Force but something the Force willed.

As depicted in Episode II and TCW computer animated, Anakin is sympathetic to authoritarian ideology: he can get it done, he'd be happy to see his wife or mentor Palpatine or even any of his Jedi masters become a nigh-omnipotent unquestioned Emperor and was when it became so.

What statement is the larger Star Wars saga making with this stuff? I think that is unknowable without Luke rebuilding the order.

I think the old EU answered this in that Luke established an order in which the greatest of Jedi can have sisters, wives, kids, loved ones....yes be disciplined but have compassion for attachments that the old order did not have.

If the new trilogy doesn't address this or even allow Luke to have a new Jedi order, how do you guys interpret all this?

In other words, more than ever I want to see the third trilogy depict a Jedi order that both rejects the worst aspects of the Jedi order and Sith empire. I think it would be too easy to just depict Luke passing the important-light-side-Jedi-torch to Rey without some pay off on this count.

I wonder if the Church of the Force has replaced the Jedi order and as always I wonder what Snoke and the Knights of Ren's religion is called since the creators and new content itself seems to be rather insistent that they are not Sith.

10. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  11. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  12. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    My main thing I want is no more rehashes of the OT. Something completely different and original. I also hope we get more backstory on the characters(especially Rey and Poe). I also hope Luke is heavily involved in the plot and wont be killed of "Game of Thrones" style just for shock value.

13. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    made a final vid for the force awakens to celebrate the home video release.

The Force Awakens into Episode VIII !

14. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I sort of doubt it. Given it's a good five decades after the fall of the Order, there would be very few living who would know the precise reasons for their fall. Thematically, however, I'm sure we'll get that

Also, this sort of belongs in the existing thread for discussion of future SW, so

Merging there

Jedi Knight Fett and Tanjint like this.
  16. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    Yeah, thematic follow-up is all I can hope for since it's doubtful characters in Episodes 8 and 9 will be discussing the politics of the Council on Coruscant. I just mean like Luke and Rey ultimately establish a Jedi order that allows attachments, or through Kylo/Vader by the time the whole saga is done we know more about the meaning of "Grey Jedi", "Balance" or both. Maybe more specifically, some addressing of the role the dark plays in cleansing the light. Was Anakin's life the prophecy fulfilled or thwarted? Is Rey here to correct that? The constant insistence that the Jedi were cruel in taking kids and barring them from family, cruel in not saving more people from the Forces of evil by being unwilling to kill more often or take more final and extreme military measures to me implies that Vader's life was part of the prophecy as it was supposed to happen.

Something that makes me think of this is the idea that the Jedi Council should be like the Knights of the Round Table but they are much more bureaucratic and mired by abstract ideas. Thus they were fated for correction until cleansed of the influence of politics....but then Anakin was very political. Or was he not political, just a warrior who happened to be raised around politicians like Padme and Palpatine?

17. Darth Apostatis

Darth Apostatis Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2015
    i just hope they use some planets introduced in the clone wars. sure, the galaxy is big but i do not need new planets in every movie to understand how big it is.

Tanjint likes this.
  18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  19. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Well, lemme tell ya...

I'd love to see another Renaissance/Florentine or Mediterranean-esque city/planet in Star Wars like Naboo.

So if that's what they're going for (video post) -- or that meets "Blade Runner" (concept art post) -- then count me in.

I'm genuinely intrigued, enticed, and seduced by this prospect. Most exciting sequel trilogy idea since the announcement of the trilogy, in my eyes.

20. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Rian. I have faith that he will bring back the Lucas-esque feelings. Of philosophy, sound, visuals and poetry.

21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  22. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    this is beautiful

23. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  24. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4