main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Can someone please explain why Episode V is considered the best?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Logan La Marco, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Logan La Marco

Logan La Marco Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2016
    Hey everybody, I just got done watching Episode V for the first time since mid 2015. And after watching it in 2016, I really don't understand why Episode V is considered the best of all 6 Star Wars movies. It felt so much different after watching it today than it did every other time that I've watched it throughout the years, maybe I'm just having one of those awkward nights. It didn't seem to have much "personality" in it. I don't know why recently I've changed my mind of it. I wanna love it like I did last year! I don't know what it is about Episode V that feels weird.

When I read reviews, I don't get any GOOD reviews. People describe the littlest things that they say make it so great, which seriously, I never hear any movie being great because of such little things that happen in it. Except this film. Like Han Solo saying "I know." um, okay? What was so spectacular about that? Yeah it was funny and Han Solo like but still, why's that two word sentence so amazing to people?

I've heard people say "it's the depressing one in the series and all of the good guys lose in it" 2 comments on that

1. Why is it good to see the good guys lose?! don't you wanna see them win!?

2. I didn't feel any emotion or sorrow this time after just watching it! :( I don't know why that is!

The Hoth battle to me is WAY WAY WAY WAY overrated. It didn't seem like the characters were much involved in it, it wasn't entertaining to me, the special effects looked horrible this time! :/, and the Battle Of Yavin from Episode IV was much better imo. Idk what I'm missing guys! I just didn't feel like the Hoth Battle had much action or excitement in it, or anything to make you go "ooooo, ahhhh." Why is the battle so amazing to a lot of critics? I personally prefer Episode IV the battle of Yavin and Episode III the Battle of Coruscant (space) Those actaully feel like the characters are involved in them and they have great action and special effects

Second, here's another question I want easily explained to me. Why is the Luke vs Darth Vader battle in Episode V the "best lightsaber battle ever" I didn't feel any emotion in it and IMO it has no personality compared to Anakin vs Obi Wan battle in Episode III. If it wasn't for the Prequels, this battle wouldn't feel at all emotional in my eyes. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I AM MISSING HERE! I'M NOT HERE TO BE A TROLL OR TO GET HATE, I JUST WANNA KNOW THESE THINGS WHAT MAKES EPISODE V SO AMAZING! I WANNA GET THE FEELING OF LOVING IT BACK AGAIN!

Lastly, I know Jar Jar Binks was annoying as heck, but are you gonna tell me that Yoda wasn't annoying in Episode V? Cause he was imo. Even though he was important in the movie! Plus, the training scenes were a little boring and long (which is realistic training)

It just feels blah. Idk why. It doesn't feel like Star Wars right now after watching it. This time after wathcing it, it was almost never ever fun like the other 5 movies were. The other 5 have action and brightness in them like "YAY! :D" (yes i know Epiosde III is the darkest of the 6, but at least it had amazing special effects, good action, and hardcore emotional scenes) This movie I just didn't feel for the characters during the emotional scenes. I felt no personality in the movie. Please don't criticize me! :( Why is it considered the best of the 6 movies? It just felt like unexciting this time. Please explain this to me easy guys! :) i've read reviews and people explain things that are like so in little detail that I'm like "ok? what does that matter?" Maybe just cause I'm not smart lol. But if you guys answer these questions, that'd make my night. Thank you guys, and have a great night! :)

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Overreaction much? Like you said, maybe you were in a bad mood. Also it is perfectly natural to not enjoy a movie as much if you rewatch it too often in too short a span of time. Some people can watch the same movie every day, but people like me can't.

3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    If you don't like it you don't like it... Often with a film like Empire people know every secret and plot point before watching the film unless they saw it back in the 80's! There are no surprises and maybe you weren't invested to begin with. Speaking of emotion - The fight between Anakin and Obi Wan in ROTS is devoid of emotion and is a horribly executed cgi mess! Point of view is an interesting thing isn't it? :cool:

And talk about sacrilege - You are comparing Yoda to Jar Jar Binks??

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Emotional responses are consistent only in their inconsistency. Just give it time, and don't watch it again until you feel like watching it.

As for why ESB is "best" I think it is best of the SW movies in the aspects that are most often rewarded by critical acclaim: it has better dialog than the others, the acting is more mature, the characters develop in unexpected ways and gain emotional depth, and the plot moves in unexpected and interesting directions. Those are the kinds of qualities that the academy looks for at awards time.

5. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Well it's my favorite film of all time, for the reasons that it has the best acting, script, direction, soundtrack and overall some of the most memeroble moments in the saga in my opinion. Again just my opinion, and really I say watch whatever of the films does it for you as ESB does it for me.

whostheBossk, km31, Ren Kylo and 7 others like this.
  6. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Personally I always enjoyed ANH more. But saying that the effects in ESB are "horrible" is a little unfair IMO. I have no idea at what time you saw it. But I'm pretty sure the effects were pretty much the best you ever saw on the screen in 1980. Nowadays with all the stupid internet PT bashing it does feel somewhat overrated though. It is one of the best sequels ever made, but nowadays people see it through their nostalgia exclusively. It's not a bad SW movie but nowhere near as perfect as people like to believe. In the days of the internet objectivity seems to have gotten lost and the extremists unfortunately are the ones that scream the loudest and give the impression that the majority agrees. I don't like ranking movies personally, especially not within a saga. If I had to choose however ESB would likely come after ANH, AOTC and ROTS. But what's the point in ranking? In the case of SW they are all chapters in the same story, much like LOTR. I don't like to say Return of the King is the "best" like some people do. It is part of the story and not a separate movie.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If its not the best movie to you, it doesn't have to be.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Because kids realized that if Obi-Wan Kenobi could lie then anyone including their parents not only could but did.

9. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    it expanded Star Wars so much and wasnt a rehash of A New Hope. Many sequels are just rehashes, Empire Strikes Back was that first exception

10. Rogue9-Horn

Rogue9-Horn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Always liked ANH more, but ESB was one of the first sequels to not be a rehash of the original. Additionally, while the effects may seem lame now, they were absolutely amazing for their time. (Watch TFA in 30 years and tell me how those effects look then)

jaqen and Tanjint like this.
  11. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    The original Star Wars is my favorite, but Empire is a very close 2nd.

I love the movie because it is tonally different from the first. Lucas is a great filmmaker, and has great vision. But Kirshner is a better director, and Kasdan is a better writer(IMO of course). You see the main characters grow and mature. Luke went from the naive farmboy to a great Rebel leader. Han now no longer looking out for only himself. If he doesn't leave to pay off Jabba, he'll compromise the safety of the Rebellion.

You see these characters go from the more innocent/fun first movie, put them in a really dark place(that would break most anyone) and watch them rise from it. The end revelation(and losing his hand) could've broke Luke. But he chose to fall to his death as a good man, than join his father and going against everything he believes in.

As for Yoda. If his silly facade wasn't a facade at all, and he remained a silly creature during the whole movie, it would be different. But Yoda acted the way he did at first to test Luke's patience(which Luke failed). He was a widened guru, expanding on the mysticism of the force. You could view it as slow, but I see it as building Luke's character(SW was point A, ROTJ was point B, TESB showed how Luke grew to be a Jedi).

You also got to watch ILM's effects grow between each episode during the originals. Each battle grew, the alien creatures evolved.

Also there's John Williams score. From the Imperial March, to Yoda's theme, to Han Solo and the Princess. Great scores! The music during the carbon freeze sequence was gut wrenching, as was the music to Vader's surprise reveal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    There are other threads with this same question, but in short, it's the most artfully made of the Star Wars films and has the best characterizations. Every frame is like a painting, and the writer, director and cast really worked to make their characters seem like real, fully rounded people. This is true to varying degrees in all the SW movies, but TESB manages to do it the best.

13. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    Which ESB effects would you say were lame. I don't think any were lame

14. JediMAQ

JediMAQ Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2001
    It is very simple. There is no way to describe how when you learn that Darth Vader is in fact Luke's father just how unbelievable that moment was. Seeing it on the big screen and the shock and just complete silence in the theater resonates with so many people. On top of that add in you see Luke's transformation and Jedi training. Yoda is annoying on purpose before he reveals himself. He wants to bring out Luke's anger and impatience.
    Trust me there are a lot of moments you can miss but it will still always be my favorite.

15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I concur. I first saw TESB in 1995, and I was shocked and scared out of my mind when Vader revealed his true nature to Luke. I knew that it was true, however, because the tape came with interviews with George Lucas. During the TESB interview, which played before the film, Leonard Maltin asked Lucas what reactions he received after that moment in the film in which everyone learned who Darth Vader "really is." That prevented me from wondering if Vader was lying or not.

Personally, for me, TESB is the best drama out of all the SW films, but ROTJ is the best Star Wars film, due to the relationship between Luke and Vader. I was surprised as a kid to see Vader save Luke from Sidious, and I was overjoyed.

christophero30, xezene, TX-20 and 2 others like this.
  16. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    For the same reason Ep. 1 is the worst: People said so!

17. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    I don´t care, really. Because to me all six films are equal.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  18. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Both on its own merits, and in context with the first film, it became for me, the best film ever.

No film since then, 1980 to 2016, has bettered or displaced it from my top three or top five.

I love a good space battle, but the Battle of Hoth felt "gritty and realistic"; that and the captivating beauty of Cloud City drew me in so much.

If it had no effect on you, Logan, our explanations won't make any difference.

In isolation, I could perhaps accept you are not being a troll, but you do seem to be initiating A LOT of controversially titled, written, or located query threads. I almost did not respond to this one.

km31, christophero30, TX-20 and 2 others like this.
  19. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I disagree with the idea that knowing Vaders reveal to Luke badly hurts ESB. Your not just dealing with some cheap twilight zone twist here but a climax that's been built towards the entire film looking to subject what we thought was Luke's destiny in ANH. Basically a heroic story to avenge his father and beat the badguy changes into a test of moral strength.

Its the same really with Han and Leia or perhaps more accurately Leia and Han as I think there story is again based mostly on subverting the setup of Leia from ANH. For all the talk of feminism and TFA I think ESB does a much better job at it by having a female character with strong emotional depth rather than a "kickass babe".

Ontop of that of course I think ESB has the best world building and atmosphere(cinematography, score, design, etc) of the entire series plus still has a lot of room for excellent action.

TOASTEROVEN, km31, TX-20 and 5 others like this.
  20. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Troll or not, these kind of threads bring out the best responses.

21. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I would venture that the same could be achieved without saying the Hoth Battle special effects looked "horrible" or saying Yoda was annoying. The original poster wants to know why we think the film is the best; attacking it is unnecessary.

Dandelo and christophero30 like this.
  22. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Clarifying what was meant by "horrible" -- when the rest of humanity thinks the Hoth battle looks amazing -- would be helpful, too, rather than the drive-by posting committed in the first post.

Sith-I-5 and PymParticles like this.
  23. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Of the OT, I personally prefer ROTJ, but I know why TESB is considered the best:

1. It is epic in scale - ANH was epic for the time, but in hindsight, it is very simple with a clear, almost childlike story. TESB takes that and accelerates it by 1000mph. It is truly what you would expect of a 'space opera'. It has an outstanding soundtrack, the defining clash of good and evil (Luke finding Yoda, Vader kneeling before the Emperor) - everything just seems to have so much more importance and gravitas.

2. It takes the story in a completely new direction - it personalises Vader, and builds on Luke. It is about family, which makes things a million times more important.

3. It's iconic. There are so many great moments - the imperial march, the first appearance of the Emperor, Vader at his zenith, Luke and Yoda rekindling the mystery of the Jedi, Han being kidnapped, the Rebel Fleet...

4. It is more 'adult'. It's a tighter, more interesting story than the others, it isn't burdened by silly puppets/CGI characters. It's serious in tone but retains its Saturday morning matinee nature.

That's my take. Incidentally, I prefer ROTJ because it retains the tone of TESB, it completes the story arc of Vader v Luke, and Luke comes of age.

24. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Yoda annoying? No, more like the best performance of the saga and the heart of it as well.

25. Legolas22

Legolas22 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 13, 2016
    ESB had the most iconic Star Wars lines and scenes in the whole saga. It contains lines like "No, I am your father" and “Do or do not. There is no try.” along with many more lines that I'm sure even non Star Wars fans can say,"oh yeah, that's from Star Wars." Also, you get scenes with yoda, cloud city, Han getting frozen, the duel between Luke and vader, and many more scenes that nearly define Star Wars. That is why it is my favorite. ROTS is a close second though since it explains the downfall of the Jedi and how one of the most iconic villains in the history of cinema came to be which is Darth Vader.