main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015

A lot of not so extremely famous actors use social media for that purpose, I even have Mike Quinn who plays Nien Nunb as a FB friend, it's damn cool :).
    The thing is, when Daisy gets more famous she probably has stay a bit more in the shadows, it's inevitable I think...

nightangel likes this.
  2. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    It is a source of advertisement and very inexpensive.

3. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
  4. FanFromNY

FanFromNY Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 28, 2016
    Klara and Wildcatbarry like this.
  5. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    What we do not know is how much of the Dubrovnik planet interior scenes were shot at Pinewood. Most of what we know about Dubrovnik is exterior and it could be that Chole Brown is on her way to do exterior action shots. Daisy could be on the planet and part of it, without having to travel to Croatia.

6. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
  7. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    Come on guys! It's not THAT difficult!

Chloe Bruce!

8. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Feb 7, 2016
    My fingers detached from my brain. Since I posted this beofe elsewhere.

9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Did anyone think that she WOULDN'T be at or near the top of the list to play Lara Croft after TFA, seriously? Heck she even kind of looks like "reboot Lara" naturally.

plaidphoenix and loststars like this.
  10. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016
    Yep. I'm sure that's the Lara Croft people groveling at her feet asking her to do it.

11. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016

I'm sure if Daisy/her PR team arranged to send a signed photo etc to the Danish girl it would make up for any 'mistake'

Force22 and Darth Imbecillis like this.
  12. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I'm jazzed about DR being up for the Lara Croft role. I think she looks the part perfectly with the re-imagined Tombraider games where Lara is younger. We love those games in my house because they are so dark and creepy.

I think she shouldn't worry about being typecast in action/adventure roles right now. I'd be more concerned about being typecast as the Star Wars girl, like MH was. Being the headliner in a another huge series gives her something else to be known for so people are more open to seeing her in other roles.

turnip white likes this.
  13. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    If I was directing Lara Croft I would have had Daisy right at the top. Best reason why, she can do the English accent [face_laugh] I would love to see her do Mary Poppins too.

14. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Mary Poppins: Tomb Raider

'nuff said

turnip white likes this.
  15. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Feb 7, 2016
    Lara Rey Poppins. Armed with her lightsaber umbrella singing a spoon full of whoopass makes the medicine go down ...

Darth_Voider likes this.
  16. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    I promised myself not to post anything on this matter again, but I feel like I have to, because the story has exploded since yesterday. There are articles about Daisy's "body shaming troll" all over now, from Entertainment Weekly to The Guardian, People magazine, Elle, Vanity Fair, ABC news... you name it. Daily Mail is even kind enough to include a screenshot of Daisy's original post, with the poor Danish girl's username plain for everyone to see.

Daisy didn’t apologise for her mistake; she simply asked people not to harass the person, after the girl had already been hounded off Instagram. She did not clarify that there had been any kind of a mistake. When I looked, her fans were still bashing the girl in the comments, calling her a jealous hater, idiot, disgusting troll, even ”evil”.

Yes, the girl is mentally disabled; that wasn’t something that was made up. I’m not going to post the girl’s name here, but if you Google her Instagram ID you’ll find she was using her real full name. You can see from her Facebook profile pictures how childish she looks, and elsewhere it is mentioned she attends a school for special needs children. I wouldn’t be so upset about this if the girl weren’t so harmless and vulnerable. Just try to put yourself in the kid’s shoes for a moment. Imagine being negatively targeted by a celebrity you idolise. And as if that weren't enough, then targeted by news outlets all over the world. JFC, people!

As a fan of Daisy, there’s no way to spin this that she did no wrong. She or her team made a mistake that hurt a harmless young girl - exactly the kind of fan she’s so proud to be a role model to. It leaves a really bad taste in my mouth that people here, presumably adults, don’t see the real problem (= that Daisy’s Instagram account negatively highlighted a random young fan’s Instagram ID for 1.4 million people to see, and now to millions more) and instead say the girl shouldn’t have been on the internet at all.

I repeat: Daisy could easily have spoken out about the issue, even the image itself, by removing the girl's name. That she didn't do so has had really wide-reaching consequences now.

Valairy Scot and Force22 like this.
  17. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    No, she didn't do anything wrong, in my on lots of other people's opinions. We just don't agree with you on that. The fact that they chose DAISY of all people to direct this criticism towards in the first place, was the true mistake.

18. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Which news outlets? I ask honestly, because all I've seen are sites reporting what the image said and Daisy's response. They aren't tracking down the girl, they're addressing the content of the image.

I don't recall anyone here saying she shouldn't be online, but that there should be some parental control so the posting of hate-filled images to one's public personal social media doesn't happen. That's commonsense to apply to all children whose parents let them use social media, whether disabled or not.

19. FanFromNY

FanFromNY Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 28, 2016
    Well, her PR team has diverted the media's attention to a possible Lara Croft casting. So, what body shaming, instagram post? ;) Just move along, nothing to see behind you.

Wildcatbarry and turnip white like this.
  20. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I didn't hear about this instagram/body shaming thing until I read it here. Daisy Ridley is new to the celebrity world. Live and learn. She obviously didn't mean any harm, and I seriously doubt she'll ever do something like that again.

I do feel bad for the girl, though. The internet is a very cruel world.

21. Darth Imbecillis

Jan 20, 2016
    Okay, never mind. It appears that I'm not making myself very clear, so there's no point in flogging this dead horse.

ThreeDeathstickProblem, Daily Mail posted the original image with the girl's username. If you Google the username, you get her real name, which is not a common one. No doubt some overzealous fans will hound her off Facebook as well.

The funny thing is that the picture appears to be originally from a blog post with exactly the opposite message (in fact, the post makes fun of fat women):

https://lporiginalg.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/star-wars-forced-to-awaken-a-candid-review/

Even if the girl had been some smug, annoying teen and posted that image intentionally, which she wasn’t, it would have been in poor taste to single her out. Daisy gets truly horrible and hurtful comments all the time from men and women alike (as all popular and beautiful women do) so I struggle to understand why this one picture that basically calls her too perfect-looking and the object of less perfect women's envy is the one she chooses to target in such a personal way. And then the young girl who gets targeted is one who had nothing to do with the creation of the image. News outlets are calling her a hater and a body-shaming troll and she was just a fan.

It’s an unfortunate situation all around, but hey, maybe that’s just me.

Force22 likes this.
  22. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    It sounds like you think she should basically feel complimented. If you do feel that, you've missed the point. The image said "real women" have curves, which implies Daisy isn't a "real" woman, and in fact Daisy's rebuttal mentioned just that idea and how insulting it was.

Regardless, it bothered her enough to feel it merited a response, and none here is in a position to dictate to Daisy how she should feel about insults, like which ones deserve notice and which ones should slide off her back.

23. Darth Imbecillis

Jan 20, 2016

That wasn't my point at all. But like I said, I'm obviously not making myself very clear here.

Force22 likes this.
  24. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Just in regards to the look of Rey.....The character description of Rey is that of a scavenger on a desolate desert world who practically raised herself.

Her daily job is highly active and physical with having to leap and tumble around massive star destroyer wreckage everyday....and then she gets to come home to what for dinner???? Stuff like that cheap looking bread.

Daisy looked just fine for this character. Props to her for selling the lonely scavenger bit like a boss.

25. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah, she's:

-Lived on her own since she was quite young.
    -Has to scavenge through crashed ships in the desert (which involves a lot of climbing, and crawling, and jumping, etc) for scrap.
    -Her "payment" is a pathetically small amount of crappy-looking bread and some kind of cheap meat or stew (I couldn't really tell what she was cooking in that scene).
    -Oh and she has to move around in the desert, did I mention that one?

I mean look at how she eats her meal, she downs it as quickly as she can. And at Maz's place, she's also eating throughout that conversation (the novelization makes it even more explicit by having Finn note with surprise how much she can eat, given her relatively small size).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.