main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond Between Finn and Rey Going Forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Beardwalker, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Beardwalker

Beardwalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    We gather here today and for the foreseeable future to discuss the future bond between Finn and Rey now that more information will be popping up.

Will they go their separate ways, form a strong a friendship, or maybe even see the start of romance?

And always remember there is a report button if you feel someone crosses the line but only when necessary. We all need to get in touch with our inner-Bill because flame wars are never fun.
    [​IMG]

2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
  3. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

4. Beardwalker

Jan 5, 2016
    Romance is an important part of a movie to reach more demographics, so it's bound to happen in some form at some point in this trilogy. Even if it is only a toned down romance story taking the backseat to most of the plot.

cerealbox likes this.
  5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    If it's well-done romance and makes sense, then by all means I'm all for it. The problem with the Anakin/Padme stuff was that it was neither of those things, not the idea of a romance itself.

Dak Oolron, Voltron64, DL44Jo and 3 others like this.
  6. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Good romance is better than no romance, and no romance is better than bad romance. No romance plays it safe, but it doesn't strive for the best. Honestly, I don't even think there's a question of whether VIII will have romance. It's only a question of who will get the romantic subplot. I hope it's FinnRey, but if it's not, I'm still all in for the FinnRey bond, in whatever form it takes.

cerealbox, Dak Oolron and Beardwalker like this.
  7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Luke has already promised her hand to someone else.

Rimfaxe96, Arcanah and RobbyV like this.
  8. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    It doesn't NEED to happen imo, but I wouldn't have a problem if it did, for a number of reasons:

-The two characters had great chemistry, as do the two actors in real-life.
    -The potential setup is already there, should they decide to go that route.
    -Rey is a character who's been established as desperately wanting/need family, love, companionship, etc. So, given the hardships that she's already endured and will likely endure going forward, there should be some reward at the end for all of that.
    -I LOATHE the "hero must have crappy personal life in order to be a true hero" cliché. Why can't Rey be an awesome Jedi hero doing awesome Jedi things and helping people, AND have a companion/family if she wishes? The answer is, none.
    -I also am decidedly NOT a fan of the whole "no attachments" idea for the Jedi. So anything here that can sink that idea for good is A-OK in my book.
    -Positive and stable romances are still an unfortunate rarity in films like these, let alone interracial ones.
    -Etc.

9. Beardwalker

Jan 5, 2016
    Nothing wrong with a mechanical hand. Just chop it off and send it to whoever he promised it to.

cerealbox, Dak Oolron, DL44Jo and 3 others like this.
  10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Finn and Rey are a bit like Harry and Hermione.
    The story will make sure they do not become a couple.

And Poe Dameron is Ron Weasley...
    And Rey is Harry.

Endor_boy, wilyen, Sudooku and 11 others like this.
  11. Arcanah

Arcanah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2016
    What bond? Force bond? Shouldn´t both be Force sensitive for that?

12. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Eh. Bonding can happen between two people without a "force bond" or whatever being involved.. tends to happen on Earth a fair bit.

Either way, the evidence by the end of VII is that they are both terribly important people to each other, so yeah .. I imagine that that relationship will play out or be manipulated by others to some extent.

Rhyoth, Beardwalker and Nanosoft like this.
  13. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    If anything, the main Jedi hero getting to be a Jedi hero AND a loving spouse/family if they wish would be something truly different for this franchise, or at least the films and TV shows:

-Luke didn't get a LI in the OT by the end.
    -Anakin and Padme was always going to end "tragically."

It'd be, really refreshing actually.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  14. Nanosoft

Nanosoft Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    The bond of love. As shown within the film, book, script, and which has been talked about multiple times by the actors themselves.

[​IMG]

15. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Or the really long and intimate hug on SKB, or her practically begging him not to leave on Takonada (and being on the verge of crying when he does), or him flipping out when he sees Kylo carrying her away and ignoring all of the literal WAR going on around him just trying to get to her. Or him going back the SKB (which given that his entire motivation up until then was to get AWAY from the FO, would be the LAST place that he'd want to go normally) just to try and save her. Or the novelization saying that she "adores him." Or her last scene with him, complete with ESB-inspired Han and Leia-esque forehead kiss, etc.

Yes, I'd say that the bond has been well-established by now.

16. Arcanah

Jan 25, 2016
    Aaaaahhhh...I thought we were talking about a bond that would be more in the context of Star Wars movies....my mistake :)

thescavenger likes this.
  17. Nanosoft

Nanosoft Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    What?

There's plenty of love and romance in SW.

Dak Oolron, Voltron64, DL44Jo and 3 others like this.
  18. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    coughHan&Leiacough.

19. Arcanah

Jan 25, 2016

Yeah...I would say that too..but when you say bond within the context of SW the first thing that comes to my mind is Force-Bond....I mean "bond" is in the name of the thing itself :D

or Space Bond, James Bond :p

thescavenger likes this.
  20. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    coughLuke&Leiacough .. ahh . nevermind...

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'm probably burned alive for this, but I don't think Boyega and Ridley have good on-screen chemistry. I didn't feel any sparks, even though Finn was obviously enthralled with Rey. In my opinion they should simply remain best friends. No need to always force a romance into it. It would actually be kinda refreshing to watch a female lead who has no romantic entanglements

22. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Right now, given everything, I'm up in the air for a romance plot between those two. Both need to get their heads in the game regarding where they go from TFA. Rey needs to figure out where she's going to stand in regards to Luke, being a Jedi and the resistance. Finn needs to fully reject the stigma he's put on himself in regard to the FO and find a way to deal with it in a more healthy, human way, i.e. figuring out who Finn is and not FN 2187.

If anything I think that KMT and Poe will be helping out Finn, but I'm not sure about Rey. Luke and Leia clearly, maybe other new characters? Laura Dern? What's interesting right now is that we get to see a strong friendship built here, something that we haven't really seen in Star Wars. Yes Han and Luke are friends, and close, but a lot of their bonding is done in the comics and in the books. Same with Leia and Luke. We never really get to see the developing friendship, and I think that will be a major focus of the present story at least until nine.

23. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Is there any way in which Rey and Finn would *NOT* care for each other in VIII? I think that Finn would follow Rey to the ends of the galaxy by the end of VII (hence convenient coma) ... how or what would possibly make him downgrade how he feels for Rey?

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Doesn't mean that Rey finds him sexually attractive. They can care for each other without being in a relationship. I don't suscribe to the Harry & Sally line of thought that men and women can never just be friends.

25. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    When you say chemistry do you mean romantic chemistry, or chemistry in general?