main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Feedback on forum's new look

Discussion in 'Communications' started by WebLurker, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Sheesh what is it with all the Hal Foster's in here? :p

How about "thanks for the banner, much better than focusing on one movie, I like how it encompasses the feel of the saga"?

TheSlave_1, jcgoble3 and WebLurker like this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Like I said.... wasn't trying to be hurtful. It's just not very well done, that's all. We can do better. The last one was up forever and needed to be replaced, but at least it had some personality. Slapping images together isn't art. Thanks for the effort, though.

The thread asked for feedback, so I'm giving feedback.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  3. TheSlave_1

TheSlave_1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 25, 2016
    It's a fun design, and I like how to incorporates the entire saga. Too bad I cannot see the entire thing since I use this website on mobile, but nonetheless it looks great :D Not to stir anything up, but to those being overly critical, it seems this contest was up for a few months and you had every opportunity to create one that you feel is better and fits your tastes.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Again... the thread asks for feedback, not to blow sunshine up the banner artist's ass. Feedback can be both positive or negative. This thread has both, so relax.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Having opinions is fine... but technically, the thread was created by someone who wanted to give compliments about the new design.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Then the thread should have asked for compliments, not feedback.

... anyway, I've given my opinion, so I'll bow out now. Hopefully, somebody will make another banner.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That was mostly my point... it was not created "asking for" anything. ;)

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Uh... so then, if the thread was solely for the purpose of one person giving his/her feedback, and the rest of the community wasn't asked or expected to give theirs, then it probably should have been done via PM and not in comms.

Admiral Volshe and Strilo like this.
  9. TheSlave_1

TheSlave_1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 25, 2016
    Hey, I was just throwing the option out there to those who thought it could've been a better design.That's all, and yes, I'm relaxed :D

Dranem likes this.
  10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I like it, was long overdue for a change, and I think the simple montage of straight imagery from each film is completely appropriate, with a good choice of shots.

Still miss having the individual forum banners from way back, though - that's where I think it's appropriate for more out-there designs.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The pie in the sky goal is to somehow reimplement that but there are nontrivial technical hurdles that have to be overcome (which could seriously be the Xenforo slogan in some areas). The IGN technique of simply having a different style for each forum doesn't work on this software.

12. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    As an artist myself, I certainly have criticisms that I feel would make it better - lack of cohesiveness or theme is one. But also, the use of blending and space is not very creative or natural. No colour palette. Things aren't smooth and don't flow into each other. Things look cut off because of the lack of transition.

There were some really fantastic ones in the thread. Just as inclusive of all 7 films. But the ones I liked most from the fellow artists were the ones that were creative and didn't necessarily span the entire saga. There was a McQuarrie one I thought was fabulous.

I honestly think it should be a vote from the community, versus an arbitrary pick next time. That would be good.

Dranem likes this.
  13. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I was inactive during the fall, so I never knew there was a banner design challenge going on, so when it changed a few days ago I was surprised to have the new banner on the page. I quite enjoy it, especially now that I've zoomed out and can see the TFA screenshot in there too. It was most definitely time for a change, and I'm glad that we have one that looks this good. :)

Dranem, Ananta Chetan and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It wasn't arbitrary- we voted, and the current banner got the most votes. Jury's out on whether we have good taste or not. ;)

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  15. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Arbitrary by the mods is what I meant. :)

16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Who's "we"? The community, or just Mod Squad?

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Mod Squad, though we were taking opinions in the Fan Art thread into consideration. Open polling wasn't deemed viable since it'd have to be a confidential vote and the polling could've been rigged via sock accounts.

Oh, and apparently also because no one could be bothered to read a board wide notice that was up for two months.

18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It really calls into question the fitness of the ModSquad if this, which has obvious Prequel elements, was deemed "good" or even "the best".

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I love the new banner guys! Only thing it's missing is stuff from TPM

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I don't get how people are missing this. The first image is from TPM. It's from the....

wait for it....

Jedi Council scene!

Dranem, Dinos4Ever and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  22. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

Yeah, I seem to recall that coming up some time ago - a few forums now have individual 'banners' in the spots really intended for announcements, as I understand it. As clever as some of the designs are, it doesn't work quite the same way. Oh well.

Still like the new overall JCF banner, reminds me of the old TFN banners from about 10-15 years ago. Nice and simple.

23. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    No Poof-ism :(

24. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

I don't get it.

25. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    New banner looks great and I embrace the new design wholeheartedly. Who was the winning artist behind the creation? I didn't see it mentioned in the OP.

Dranem likes this.