main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Best U.S. President from 1808-1852?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Apr 2, 2016.

?

Best U.S. President from 1808-1852?

1. James Madison

28.6%
  2. James Monroe

4.8%
  3. John Quincy Adams

28.6%
  4. Andrew Jackson

9.5%
  5. Martin Van Buren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. William Henry Harrison

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. John Tyler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. James Knox Polk

23.8%
  9. Zachary Taylor

4.8%
  10. Millard Fillmore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Who was the best U.S. President from 1808-1852, and why?

James Madison
    [​IMG]

James Monroe
    [​IMG]

John Quincy Adams
    [​IMG]

Andrew Jackson
    [​IMG]

Martin Van Buren
    [​IMG]

William Henry Harrison
    [​IMG]

John Tyler
    [​IMG]

James Knox Polk
    [​IMG]

Zachary Taylor
    [​IMG]

Millard Fillmore
    [​IMG]

clemdawg likes this.
  2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    All right Ghost, you've got your threads back. Try not to go overboard next time.

Ghost likes this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    When you say "best" do you mean accomplishing what they set out to do upon inauguration or "best" as in one we favor? I actually don't favor any of them, but I have a pick for Best as far as accomplishment goes. I wouldn't even bother with the next 1853- segment. We all know who it is. There can be no debate! :p

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This isn't exactly the greatest list of Presidents. I have to choose Madison by virtue of being the tentpole behind the Constitution.

5. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh just wait for some of the reconstruction and early progressive era presidents. Those are some doozies.

I would pick Madison if his presidency included the constitutional era. But his presidency gave us an imperialist war. I would pick Polk but his did too.

A meh list. John Q had some points but helped bring about the second party system in the U.S.

This timeframe arguably had the best statesmen located in Congress, not the WH.

edit: John Q helped begin, not end, second party system. Corrected.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The only good thing about Jackson is that he threatened to hang Calhoun.

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_laugh]

That might be the best thing about any of them.

I might pick Monroe only because his Era of Good Feelings might be less aggressively empire-building than the others.

If Best means accomplished what he set out to do: Polk hands down. Grew the size of the U.S. with a war under false pretenses. Did it in a single term too.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Best as in your opinion of their accomplishments... or whatever you interpret "best" to be.

This is definitely the worst segment of the list.

Some good things on them...
    Madison- father of the Constitution, but he didn't do that as President... botched the War of 1812
    Monroe- he wasn't divisive? does that count?
    JQ Adams- competent but not particularly noteworthy
    Jackson- more democratic, but only for white men. Then there's the whole Trail of Tears and the corruption
    Van Buren- ummmm... he wasn't Harding/Buchanan-level bad?
    Harrison- he didn't have enough time to do anything bad (or good)
    Tyler- uhhh
    Polk- competent, did what he set out to do, but the Mexican-American War was controversial
    Taylor- uhhhhhh
    Fillmore- uhhhhhhhhh

So, as President... maybe Adams or Polk?

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I would interpret Best as being most accomplished in what they set out to do and their actions having far-reaching consequences.

In that regard, I pick Polk.

John Q is a close second just for basically starting the second party system in the U.S. and allowing the ascendancy of Jacksonian politics. More a consequence of his presidency than accomplishments during it.

Monroe: Monroe doctrine had lasting consequences for intervention and ruled this hemispheres foreign policy for years to come.

But Polk. And he did it in one term. He died shortly after his term ended. He worked himself to death.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, I decided to go with Polk too. Very underestimated President.

11. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Anyone who says "Fillmore" gets a boot to the head.

I picked JQA because I really enjoyed Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of him in Amistad.

12. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Polk. I highly recommend reading A Country Of Vast Designs, which is excellent work detailing Polk and the Mexican War. As Shane said already, he worked himself to death. I don't think another President accomplished more in a single term with such long lasting effects as Polk.
    I do also like Quincy Adams, and I give him a ton of credit for continuing to serve in congress, even after being President. Not many men would continue to serve in a lower office after being the Commander In Chief, but he continued to do so all the way until his death. I too enjoyed Hopkins' portrayal of him, and my favorite scene in the film is when he gives his speech to the Supreme Court.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I'm admittedly not very familiar with this period in American history, but I voted for JQA on the basis of the Smithsonian Institute.

14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Out of all of these? Polk, definitely. With JQA being my second pick.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    James K Polk has a damn song about him by TMBG. 'Nuff said.

16. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    It's an unofficial law. Ex Presidents can't seek office.

17. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Not sure where you're getting at here, as I said nothing about him seeking office. I'm giving him credit for continuing to serve in government, even after being President.

Edit: Unless you're talking about ex Presidents in modern times.

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    JQA. Abolishionist, supported the National Bank, education, and public works, and opposed imperialistic expansion.

ShaneP likes this.
  19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Ol' JQ is often overlooked. Also the only former president to be elected to the House after his presidency. Might be an example of how the perceptions of the presidency has changed over time. Can you imagine a former president becoming a congressperson now? The media would hound him and ask: why? [face_laugh]

MrZAP and darklordoftech like this.
  20. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
  21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
  22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    James Madison co-opted the most popular aspects of the Federalist platform for the Democratic-Republican party. This ultimately lead to the Federalists being confined to New England and then to the extinction of the Federalists. I can't help but compare this to how Bill Clinton's centrism turned many states blue and how the Republicans are today suffering as a result.

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Very astute observation DLOT. The Federalists position against the War of 1812 didn't help them much either.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Polk is arguably one of the strongest presidents in history. Not necessarily the same thing as desirable or good, considering the debacle of the Mexican-American War., but unquestionably an incredible executive. The public kind of skips from Jackson to Lincoln, or even Jefferson/Madison to Lincoln, and in a lot of cases I understand why, but this guy should really be a lot more well known.

I can't forgive Tyler for supporting the Confederacy. One of the blackest marks on any president.

Fillmore at least opened up Japan...

darklordoftech and ShaneP like this.
  25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    One of the reasons I picked Polk is how much of his agenda he managed to accomplish in one term as well as the far reaching consequences of the territorial expansion resulting from the war with Mexico. Plenty of contingencies on the road to the Civil War for sure so it wasn't inevitable, but the war against Mexico set up and exacerbated sectional differences perhaps unlike anything up to that time in our republic.