main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Yoda in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by yassir.khan, Apr 5, 2016.

1. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Right I know how this will sound but those who know me and know what I do for a living, like Satipo and Artoo Dion, hopefully will know I'm not just chatting :;&@.

But as part of my job I have sight of what people are doing in the UK. And Frank Oz is in the UK and specifically for VIII. Now whether it's just a voice cameo like VII or a more significant role I don't know, but I thought I would let you know. He specifically said he could not say much at all.

Take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Puppet or bust, augment it with CGI if you have to.

3. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Satipo and PymParticles like this.
  4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  5. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Honestly I think puppet Yoda is ugly and isn't that well articulated, he seems like a walking talking muppet (and funnily both are Frank Oz.:p ).Give me an enhanced ROTS CGI like Yoda.[face_devil]

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    don't get me wrong, the original puppet is magical, they just can't get that back. go digital.

7. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I would prefer the puppet, for the continuity aspect alone it may help cement the idea that "puppet Yoda" is simply how Yoda looks twenty hard, swampy years of Dagobah life later after ROTS.

Practically, of course the differences are because of CGI vs. practical, but still how magical would it be to see a recreated version of the ESP/ROTJ Yoda puppet? If they can recreate the Millennium Falcon with such attention to detail, I'm sure they can somehow recreate the original puppet. There are even reports that for Rogue One, the original ANH Vader costume is being faithfully remade, so I don't see why not for Yoda.

They can of course even touch it up with better articulation and detail, as well as some CGI effects to make it more realistic here and there.

8. coolman756

coolman756 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2014
    Let's not get too much false hopes but I would LOVE to see Yoda return, especially if they manage to recreate faithfully the original puppet. Not for continuity reasons, just because I think it looks better and the OT showed how Yoda could be perfectly executed as a puppet.

9. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Yoda as a force ghost making an appearance to Luke and Rey? It'd be a great way to link the OT/ST even more, and it'd make me more excited for the film since Yoda is one of my all time favorite SW characters.

10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Love Yoda, he's easily in my top 3 all time favorites. This is one of the few spoilers from VIII I'd love to know for sure.

The digital in ROTS was great for him, and that was over a decade ago. We all loved the puppet in the OT but this is one of those times where there just is no need whatsoever to go back.

HeadingSouth and starocean90 like this.
  11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I hated the digital Yoda, including in ROTS. However, if his force ghost can be effectively mo-capped, I'll be fine with that.

My preference would be a hybrid, CG-enhanced puppet, though. Like they did with Unkar.

There is no longer a stark choice between practical and digital. The new trend is a blend of the two, which captures the best of both worlds.

ZY-Fighter, Drewton, Tommytom and 6 others like this.
  12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    If they can't use the original one, they shouldn't use a puppet. Remember the last time they tried to duplicate it? ****ing laughable.

13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

But there's literally zero reason to. There wasn't any great backlash against digital Yoda, quite the opposite. There's no reason to mo-cap him at all at this late stage in the game, and as a Force Ghost no less.

Doing a puppet-CGI hybrid would be extra time, money and effort for not a lot of payback. A few people who long for a puppet from 35+ years ago just isn't reason enough to forsake decades of effects advancement, and reversing an already successfully executed practical-to-digital progression.

The only way I imagine this working is if they can somehow recapture the success of the original puppets, and even then it'll likely just be a nostalgic bobble, not a real necessity.

14. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

This is the kind of thing I was referring to. This idea that practical/CGI hybrids, or mo-cap, are somehow examples of "forsaking" or "reversing" effects advancement, rather than advancing them. It's a false dichotomy. I am talking about using the best tools in the practical and CG trade, and the people who really know how to blend the two, to create the most believable Yoda possible.

And yes, it's worth it, even if he's a force ghost. Because people care a lot about this guy.

And though some fans loved CGI Yoda in ROTS, there are just as many audience members (or more) that were quite put off by him.

That said, CG has advanced leaps and bounds since then. But I think they should try to top Maz, and definitely do a better job than Snoke. And based on the results of Unkar, the happabore, and that Abednedo alien during the Jakku village attack (all of which were practical/ CG hybrids), I think they should go that route. Because it's the most believable, and IMO, definitely worth the money.

15. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    Don't include him in. I don't want to see everyone in the movies that's ever been in the movies in one trilogy... maybe Jar-Jar but that's it.

16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    They can make pretty damn good puppets nowadays..

Alot of Force Ghosts lined up for this movie. A full end of Jedi collection, with optional Han Solo.

17. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Mo-cap the puppet. Win win.

light_sabe_r likes this.
  18. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015
    this would be fantastic. i hope its true. on the CGI vs puppet, i think its best they go CGI or puppet and CGI. hes a FG now, so regardless its going to be hard to get a certain level of like-for-like in relation to the FG's we see in the OT (the blue-ish hue).

19. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I can't imagine it'd be for a line or two, a la TFA. There'll almost certainly be interaction between Yoda and Luke and/or Rey. And my vote goes for an augmented puppet if we see him.

Best news for VIII that I've heard yet.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I endorse this post...

...at least the part about Jar Jar. :p

21. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    I hope he really isn't back at all. This reliance on old, dead characters is unnecessary and takes away from the newer more interesting ones.

jlovesee and WookieeRage like this.
  22. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    His absence would be kind of odd in a way. "Yoda will always be with you" may have been partly metaphorical, but given the goings-on in Rebels, the vision in TFA and Luke seeking out the first temple, I'd expect some sort of Yoda appearance.

23. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    Force Ghost Jedi Council. Make it happen Rian.

24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    "Augmented puppet" for a Force Ghost really, really underestimates the advancements of CGI as we approach 2020. I thought Maz looked incredible and Yoda would the same, but we'll see.

If that's the route they go, I'm all for it. Whatever looks best.

25. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    Sgt. Carver
    That's what I was getting at precisely, I don't want a "reliance" on older characters. The new characters the writers introduced have so much to give in terms of plot substance the older character introductions would start to feel force fed to me.