main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Music of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Christopher Blair, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    am I the only one who truly adores the music in this trailer at the end. the blending of the star wars theme and imperial theme is pitch perfect to me. I just love it

2. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I doubt you're alone .. music sells the emotion of the images to me in these films. I loved the piano renditions. WIlliams is not scoring this though?

3. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    I know and I might get shot for this but Im glad he is not, I like the force awakens score but he only piece I truly loved was rey's theme. star wars needs some new blood, and I thought the sound design as a whole was pitch perfect, I love the sound of the alarm blaring, I loved the laser blast and I adore that music so much.

4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    No he is not. Alexandre Desplat is.

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  5. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I just looked up his musicography ...impressive. Most impressive. He scored "Moonlight Kingdom" = one of my fave underated Wes Anderson films :)

Looking forward to seeing what he will bring to the table.

Christopher Blair likes this.
  6. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The trailer doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to music. It doesn't even have to be from Desplat. The TFA-trailer had a chorus-version of 'Han Solo and the Princess', that bit sounded absolutely amazing, it also had nothing to do with TFA's actual soundtrack.

7. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    true but I have a feeling that is not the last time we hear that music, bc the trailer implies the main character is having an internal battle with who she is and will be aka good or bad, so the musical cues fit perfectly

8. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    John Williams style is more adventure, fantasy, and mystery. This is a dark, action war film, so a different style of music would be better suited. Although some Williams-esque callbacks would keep the score feeling Star Wars.

9. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I am willing to bet that the music in the trailer has zero do with the film's actual soundtrack. This is 100% trailer music banged out soley for that purpose.

TX-20 and 11-4D like this.
  10. weezer

May 16, 2001
    It will be interesting to see how much of the original music the new composer uses. I would think that he would want to make it his own, but with something so iconic it seems like you'd have to at least invoke the original music. It will be very telling for what we see (or rather hear) in the other anthology films and possibly even the rest of the ST.

11. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    true but whoever blended the two themes did a masterful job to me, bc the tempo is correct, and its relaxing yet ominous at the same time, just very hard to describe. it is my ringtone now lol

Sluice Friggins likes this.
  12. Sluice Friggins

Sluice Friggins Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree, that mashup is pure magic. However, it's not the Star Wars theme, it's the Force theme, and they shouldn't have used it unless Jyn is force sensitive. If she turns out to be just a regular rebel the theme was misused. It ALWAYS signifies a light side user being called to the force.

13. SWITS

SWITS Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 7, 2015
    Am I the only one who's worried that the music in Rogue One will negatively affect the movie, since it is not going to be done by John Williams?
    People seem to overlook the fact that we will not be hearing the familiar genius music that we're accustomed to in all Star Wars films. The new composer is Alexandre Desplat. I'm not familiar with his style of music, but I just hope it's good enough for a Star Wars film.
    Are we even going to hear the iconic Star Wars opening theme music at the beginning of the film??
    Sure, it's been reported we will not be getting an Opening Crawl, but the real question is will we be getting the classic Star Wars Opening Theme music?? Probably not!

Based on the assumptions that we probably won't get any music similar to John Williams' style from Aleandre Desplat, I think Rogue One will definitely suffer.
    Imagine Darth Vader's entrance in the film without hearing the Imperial March. Nooo!

14. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Whoa Whoa Whoa you are assuming way to much. The trailer score was done by Desplat that alone shows that his score will be routed in William's scores. On top of that even if Williams was scoring the film the whole crawl thing would end up the same. If they do the crawl then the theme would be their either way, the same would true if there is no crawl and the theme is still there, and the potential that neither are there. This does not hinge upon Williams.

Why are you scared of a SW thing without Williams? We have already had a theatrically released movie without him, TCW's film. That turned out fine and Kevin Kiner was a worthy substitute who stayed true to Williams while not being bound to what came before. There is no reason whatsoever to assume that we won't get any music similar to Williams. I mean where the heck did you even conjure up such a notion? Based on the fact that there might not be a crawl with the theme? Once again, The Clone Wars film had no crawl yet it used William's score in places and used modified versions. as for no Imp march; once again you have no reason whatsoever for assuming that just cause someone else is scoring it that the march wont be there. You are just fear mongering at this point to the detriment of yourself. Just wait and see. He might even be better for all we know.

15. SWITS

SWITS Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 7, 2015
    Well, nobody knows until it comes out.
    The Clone Wars movie is different because that was an animated movie, using music based off of John Williams. Rogue One is a whole new type of Star Wars film that we've never seen before. It's Lucasfilm's chance to break from the norm. The filming techniques will be different, and this is why i assume the music will be different. There will be no Opening Crawl, and therefore most likely no Opening Theme Music. Would they have the nerve to use contemporary music like Star Trek Beyond did? I guess anything goes, with these new Standalones.

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yep and that's part of the fun.

17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I didn't think the music of The Force Awakens was all that great so a different conductor is not a huge deal.

vncredleader likes this.
  18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Of course a music score by Queen (vocals, Adam Lambert of course) and I'll be buying the CD soundtrack.

dekaneas likes this.
  19. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    all i know is i really loved the haunting piano notes at the end of the trailer. other then that im not assuming anything one way or another about quality.

20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Desplat does good traditional orchestral soundtracks.
    I wouldn't be worried about him.

TX-20 and vncredleader like this.
  21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Jyn... aaaaaahahhhh... saviour of the universe!

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    There are lots of great composers besides Williams. Desplat is one of them. And he's scoring Rogue One.

23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Do we know if that deal eventuated?

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The Imperial March wasn't in ANH either.

25. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Stop destroying my childhood!

TX-20 and EHT like this.