main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Hidden meaning in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by HevyDevy, Apr 28, 2014.

1. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Yes and the lotus has the symbolism that even if it is growing from mud is pure.
    Meaning that Padme did not got involved with Sidious,her protector and mentor neither with her husband,to become one of the most
    powerful persons from the galaxy.
    Since if Padme would have supported Anakin decision to join the dark side,very likely Anakin would have not been defeated by Obi Wan,in the fight between those two on Mustafar.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Vader overprotected his family while Ren threw away his family.

3. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Just tonight I was re-watching TPM, and kid Anakin says "I had a dream that I came back and freed all the slaves."

I'm sure he was just thinking of it at face value, being a slave himself. But the broader meaning struck me, "I came back", meaning he became Anakin again after being Vader for so long, and " freed all the slaves" being all the galaxy that was under the thumb of the Empire.

But you would never understand that meaning until watching all 6 movies and seeing Vader turn from the darkside and destroy the Emperor.

Sent from my Gigaset QV830 using Tapatalk

4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I've thought in the past, as others here have, that Anakin's TPM quote is a metaphorical reference to his redemption in ROTJ.

Anakin's dreams in the PT are repeatedly shown to be prophetic. It adds meaning to his ROTS arc that he would become so obsessed with saving Padme when his dreams turn to her death.

Anakin dreamed he would become a Jedi, dreamed he would marry Padme, dreamed of Shmi's demise, and of course dreamed Padme would die in childbirth.

It's kind of an underrated aspect of Anakin's fall that this was being set up from early on. I don't think the average viewer fully comprehends it.

5. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Well, most people wont watch the movies 100 times, like us! LOL

Sent from my Gigaset QV830 using Tapatalk

HevyDevy likes this.
  6. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Shmi Skywalker: "He deserves better than a slave's life."

Anakin would not be free from the power of others over him or from the power of the dark side until just before he died.
    He never got more than a slave's life.
    :(

AshiusX and darskpine10 like this.
  7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Another aspect of that line is how it sets up Anakin's hopes for becoming a Jedi.

Anakin wants to help people in TPM, he wants to free slaves like himself and his mother.

This creates an unrealistic expectation of what the Jedi actually are at this point. When he does become a Jedi, he never has any opportunity to really help people, including his own mother.

This leads him into the arms of Palpatine, someone who Anakin also believes will help him save someone, namely Padme.

Shaak Ti and Unkar's Muffins like this.
  8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If Plagueis created Anakin, it could be said that Plagueis had the last laugh because Anakin ultimately killed the man who murdered Plagueis.

Luke fights Vader using the same lightsaber that Vader used to murder children. Who better to avenge murdered children than the offspring of the murderer?

Jedi Daniel, Darth Basin and AshiusX like this.
  9. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Maybe, but perhaps Plagueis was like other Sith in that he wanted the Sith line to continue. So Anakin's redemption kind of ruined all their hard work.

I do think Palpatine's line "and his apprentice killed him in his sleep" can be a metaphor for Palpatine's "sleeping" blindness to Anakin's coming betrayal in ROTJ though.

Although Luke essentially rejects this saber in favour of his own self-built one and refuses to kill his father afterall.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The Luke vs. Vader duel in ESB feels like a descent into hell.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Are the Lucrehulk cores and the Death Star both spherical because they were both designed by the Geonosians?

12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I'm not sure that the Trade Federation necessarily worked with the Geonosians before the Separatist Crisis. Then again, it's possible that Geonosis is a TF production world, in which case the similarity in shapes is likely intentional.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  13. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I also thought it was cool that the spherical TF ships fleeing Geonosis during the battle in AOTC kind of invert the spherical Ion cannon helping the Rebels flee their Hoth base in ESB.

I don't think the Separatists were on the same moral ground as the Rebellion necessarily, but it is interesting that we kind of see the wars from the opposite perspective in each trilogy.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The Battle Droids in TPM look like Geonosians.

Shaak Ti and thejeditraitor like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - in the Legendsverse this is intentional- with the "skeletal Neimoidians" explanation being retconned as a rumour spread by some Neimoidians:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/B1_battle_droid/Legends

B1 battle droids stood 1.93 meters tall and were humanoid in form, physically identical to their direct predecessor, the OOM-series battle droid.[3][1] Their long, elongated heads atop tall, slender necks were designed in imitation of their builders at Baktoid's Geonosian foundries. Superstitious Neimoidians were known to spread the rumor that B1 battle droids' heads were designed to imitate the shape of a Neimoidian's withered skull after death, and many species found the B1's appearance disturbing.[11][12]

16. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    Both Qui Gon and Luke are unorthodox Jedi who work outside the boundaries of the order.
    Both use green lightsabers.
    One is Anakin's surrogate father.
    One is Anakin's biological son.
    Both convince Anakin to become a Jedi.

17. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Under the tongue-root a battle most dread
    and another raging, behind, in the head

He's mirroring Obi-Wan's Trial, hence the music. Bbut in TPM the young Obi-Wan himself is a reflection of Darth Maul in some ways, as Cryogenic has pointed out. A Phantom Menace most elusive to his own perceptions.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Vader kills the younglings and fights Obi-Wan with "Excalibur". It's as if King Arthur himself has turned to the dark side.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    In John Boorman's Excalibur, Arthur turns to a form of the dark side where he's near catatonic and uncaring for decades until he redeems himself by overthrowing the villain but dying in the process.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  20. Homergreg

Homergreg Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    It's so interesting that you brought this up, I started thinking of Heracles and his killing of his own children that caused him to be tasked with his labors to earn redemption. So I searched to see if Vader and Heracles had been compared and came up with this exhibit that just closed at the Louvre:

https://www.francetoday.com/culture...w-louvre-founding-myths-hercules-darth-vader/

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Obi-Wan, an old man in a cloak and hood, walks down a hill to greet Luke, his soon-to-be apprentice. Palpatine, an old man in a cloak and hood, walks down a ramp to greet Vader, his apprentice.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  22. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    ANH: "Funny, the damage doesn't look as bad from out here."
    ESB: "I'm going in closer to one of the big ones. Closer!?!"

ROTS (Script): Palpatine: "Sometime those closest are those who cannot see..."

23. Homergreg

Homergreg Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Rey brings the Millennium Falcon to Han Solo as his story unfolds in Episode 7, and then brings the blue light saber to Luke to transition to Episode 8 and have his story unfold.

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    When Anakin tries to save Shmi and Padme, things go wrong and he ends up becoming Darth Vader. When Luke says he has to save Han and Leia, Obi-Wan and Yoda beg him not to.

minnishe and ATMachine like this.
  25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In ESB, The Emperor is revealed to be a Force-user, and then in the next scene the green muppet character is revealed to be Yoda. Obi-Wan and Vader, who seemed to be the masters of light and dark in ANH, are now revealed to be apprentices to the true masters of light and dark.

Shaak Ti, HevyDevy and ATMachine like this.