main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Fallout

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I wouldn't go that far. While it may have been disappointing overall to some, I still enjoyed it for the 50 or so hours that I spent with it. There are some fun (albeit brief) plotlines and characters to be found.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I've honestly not really had any. It's just felt like I was going through motions. Fallout NV? I loved. Happily ran round in NCR ranger kit because I was committed to stopping Caesar's legions. Did all the sidequests I could. Made efforts with Boone. Nothing remotely like this has happened with Fallout 4. Conversely, I replayed Fallout 2 so many times it wasn't funny, even though the Arroyo trials were a pain.

3. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Phew, finally got the platinum, benevolent leader was a pain in the ***.

4. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Tips? Which settlement did you use?

5. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    I cant link vid's for some reason so i'll just post the details.

1.Red rocket gas station (As settlement)
    2.6 settler's (Also have 6 Bed's/Food) Put 1 Settler on food patrol using mutfruit (1 settler = 6 Food. 1 mutfruit = 1 food, enough for everyone.)
    3.Build 5 clinic's and assign the other 5 settler's to them.
    4.Make sure the settlement size bar is yellow (Used painting's and literally posted on everything.
    5.Have at least 60+ defense (I had 80 just incase)

Basically, after that it's a huge waiting game, but i did get my trophy. My friend said after every point he got he slept in a bed (Not sure if needed but i slept anyway) however sleeping wont bring your points up, it will still take 3-4 IRL hours.

Straudenbecker and Reynar_Tedros like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Irritating time on F4 tonight due to a double bill of it disappearing corpses and teleporting in enemies including a Suicider! Bastards.

7. Legolas22

Legolas22 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 13, 2016
  8. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    The price of the season pass will go from $30 up to $50 on March 1st, so I bought it earlier today. Far Harbor sounds great.

Jedi Ben, Legolas22 and moosemousse like this.
  9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The official announcement:
    https://bethesda.net/#en/events/gam...nd-workshop-far-harbor-and-more/2016/02/16/77

Yeah, it all looks great to me. My companion will always be Dogmeat but making Automotrons sounds awesome. Wasteland Workshop probably has me more excited than anything else. And Far Harbour just sounds awesome, though I'm wondering if I'll need to stock up on Rad-X and Rad-Away.

If you haven't got the Season Pass then get it as soon as you can. It'll still save you money but it won't save you as much.

Legolas22 likes this.
  10. Legolas22

Legolas22 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 13, 2016
    I hope you can build enclave eyebots like ED-E, that bot was amazing in FO:NV. The new robot armor that person is wearing looks pretty sweet aswell. Looks like I'm going to have to pick up the season pass this weekend :).

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks for the tip off, those details do sound good.

12. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I suppose these DLC would sound appealing to console players, but PC gamers have had build able robots and trainable Deathclaws as free mods since Fallout 3. I am not impressed in the slightest with these offerings so far. What is even more annoying is how Bethesda has not released the Creation Kit yet. I know it sounds cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put off releasing mod tools, while they are busying making official Bethesda monetized versions of all of the most popular Fallout 3 & NV mods. Meanwhile, Firaxis has mod tools and mod support for XCOM 2 available since day one.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The new and updated Survival Mode has hit Steam Beta.
    Highlights include: Disabled fast travel, can only save when you sleep, ammo and stimpacks have weight, must eat/drink/sleep, player and enemies all deal and receive more damage.

Time to head back to the Commonwealth!

14. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    Leonard Boyarsky left Blizzard and joined Tim Cain at Obsidian Entertainment! That makes Two out of Three Fallout 1 Mastermind/Troika Creators now working at Obsidian.
    For anybody who doesn't know the original Fallouts and only played Bethesda's junk, Boyarsky was the lead art designer of Fallout 1 and the creator of the Iconic Vault Boy and Tim Cain is the Creator of the whole series, as well as lead programmer, designer and game director of Fallout 1. While I was worried about the potential quality of another Obsidian Fallout once I learned most of the writers on that game left the company, seeing Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky there gives me renewed hope of another awesome Fallout game! If Bethesda doesn't give them another Fallout Spinoff now, I'm going to be so disappointed with them!

TheSlave_1 likes this.
  15. Corac

Corac Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 16, 2015
    It's annoying how survival mode is a difficulty setting, so if you use it then the combat difficulty is Very Hard. That really discourages me from using it, and I otherwise would really want to.

Sent from my SG-S4 communications droid

16. TheSlave_1

TheSlave_1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 25, 2016
    That's great news, and I'm glad he went to obsidian. As far as Obsidian making another fallout game, this pretty much sums it up:[​IMG]
    It will be an absolute blessing if by some chance we get a good fallout game like Fallout 1/2/NV, but it doesn't seem too plausible.

Shadow Trooper likes this.
  17. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    That sucks. Now that you mention it, I think I recall Chris Avellone also saying something along those lines. Fallout setting and game play was kind of FUBAR'd by Bethesda anyways but I still find it hard to let go. The Original Fallout and New Vegas are two of my favorite RPGs of all time. Fallout 4 doesn't even seem like an RPG, in my opinion, the game seemed closer to Far Cry than Fallout. What would be really awesome is if Obsidian gets Cain, and Boyarsky to make a spiritual successor to Fallout 1, similar to how Pillars of Eternity was a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. POE showed that Obsidian can still make the kind of awesome Isometric RPGs just like they did in the glory days of Black Isle Studios. It seems like they are the only company in the industry interested in making proper CRPGs, instead of thinly disguised shooters (ex. Bethesda and Bioware).

18. TheSlave_1

TheSlave_1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 25, 2016
    Yeah, it definitely is hard to let go of fallout. I rented fallout 4 for about a week, but it was not what I was hoping for. The RPG elements are essentially non-existent. It truly did feel like a borderlands, far cry-esque shooter, and not a fallout game. I mean, I don't mind RPG shooters at all. New Vegas proved that you can make a very good FPS RPG, and stick to the roots of the original fallouts. Anyways I agree, obsidian seems like the only company that can give us a spiritual successor and I really would enjoy another fallout-like crpg. Also, quick question, how was pillars of eternity? I've been pretty busy and haven't been able to check it out yet.

19. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    It was pretty good! It reminded me very much of Baldur's Gate so they were successful on that front. I've always liked having control of a full party, but most RPGs these days do not allow for this (Probably because they are developed for consoles first). There was a wide variety of classes to choose from, but I really wish they had the option to dual or multi class like BG and IWD had. Also the fighter type classes were more fun than in BG but the spells/mage duels and caster classes were not as fun as in BG (except the Cipher). In terms of role playing, it did allow for a lot more options than BG. Obsidian often focuses on Choice and Consequence and that was definitely present here. The first town had a really cool atmosphere too it and the quests were pretty good, but the final act of the game was a little bit weak and felt too short. The Party member NPCs were a mixed bag too. Chris Avellone's characters were brilliant and I liked the fighter Eder, but the rest of the joinables felt kind of boring IMO. Luckily there is an option to create your own hirelings Icewind Dale style, so you can still try classes even if you don't like the representative NPC. The antagonist was also really lame and poorly voiced, especially compared to Sarevok and Irenicus from BG. Overall the Writing was not as good as some of Obsidian's best games like KotOR 2, Mask of the Betrayer, or Fallout: New Vegas but it is better than the base NWN 2 campaign and also Bioware's recent efforts.

Disclaimer: I haven't played the expansion, and apparently they released a new patch which dramatically re balances classes, so it may play very differently from when I played it last year.
    2nd Disclaimer: Even though they heavily advertised that the game was worked on by Chris Avellone and had similarities to Planescape: Torment, I did not really see them when I played. This game is a Baldur's Gate spiritual successor, not a Torment one so I found the comparison to PST as a little misleading. The upcoming Torment: Tides of Numenera on the other hand is an actual PST successor but I'm a little bit hesitant on that one since I thought Wasteland 2 (by the same company) was terrible.

20. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    The petition for Bethesda to give Obsidian rights to make another fallout game is still going. There are a couple of problems with it in the legal department, but the big one is that Chris Avellone left Obsidian last year and he is a big factor for why the storylines are so good in Fallout 2 and New Vegas. Chris has stated he wanted to do the setting of the next one in Denver, but he always had his eye on Chicago.
    This new fallout, felt empty to me, until I realized that three of the factions were just narrow minded and another faction felt like it was placed in the game to off set the other factions but instead just made it worse. Season passes are best for the console players but not always as most cases now are the game designers just want your money, but with Bethesda they are actually give good DLC to the players. So I give Bethesda a lot of credit with doing that instead of doing what a lot of other game companies do with their DLC.
    The biggest gripe I have with the game is that there was not enough time at the beginning to get know a character to build an emotion, so my first play through I was pretty much exploring New England Commonwealth. It really did not feel like a true RPG to me.

21. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    It wasn't just Chris Avellone who left. The majority of the Writers on Fallout New Vegas, as well as other well known RPG writers quit Obsidian as far back as 2012
    - John Gonzales (Guy who wrote the main quest, Ceaser and Mr.House)
    - Travis Stout (Wrote Raul, Lilly, OWB Appliances)
    They also lost George Ziets, the guy who wrote the highly praised Mask of the Betrayer expansion.
    They had Brian Mitsoda, lead writer of Troika's VtM: Bloodlines, for a while but they managed to lose him too.
    Avellone does good work, Planescape Torment, KotOR 2, Dead Money and Old World Blues are all excellent, but outside of the DLC, he didn't actually write much on New Vegas. Some of the ideas used were from his scrapped Fallout 3 Van Buren like The Legion and the Burned Man and Cassidy was written by him but otherwise he didn't do much on the base game. I am actually kind of glad Chris left Obsidian since he hasn't been able to lead a full game since KotOR 2. Hopefully, he can use his new freedom to make his own games again.
    Fun Fact: A potential Obsidian Fallout would be only the second Fallout to be worked on by series creators, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, since they quit and formed Troika over disagreements with Interplay about Fallout 2.

Straudenbecker likes this.
  22. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Brian Mitsoda had left for his own project, he was also leaving himself available for CCP who were working on World of Darkness to pick him up. There is a rumor that he was the one that first leaked that CCP was on the verge of abandoning World or Darkness, which CCP denied, only to say that they scrapped the project the following spring. John Gonzales was butting heads with some of the members, so he left. Chris did Westland 2 which I found was a good game when he left Obsidian. I really don't think the crews of BIS will ever reunite, but you can always find a few of them working on the same projects. Obsidian is the only company that I know of that has always obtained the most former members of BIS. More interesting is that there are some former members from BIS and Troika that are listed with a company that does medieval games, but also bought the rights to World of Darkness.
    Fallout 2 still remains my favorite for varies reasons. Fallout 3 was just too straight forward, to where I would only go out and explore a little just to help level up. Fallout New Veges I loved cause even when you follow the road, there were people or landmarks that would be a detour for you form the main story plus it brought back many of the things that fallout 3 lacked. Fallout 4 had so much hype around its release, and how it was marketed that it had me scratching my head a few times, once playing the games you can see they learned from their mistakes in Fallout 3, but had made many other mistakes, but overall it is a good game. To be honest, I think Bethesda next title in the series with be better as they are constantly learning from their mistakes. So in six years we will have another fallout game from them that will be quite good in my honest opinion. If we look at the release dates of F3, FNV, and F4, Bethesda might allow another company to do a Fallout games, and again if we look at the locations, Fallout 3 (Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, missing a state) Fallout New Vegas(Nevada, Arizona, Southern California, missing a state) Fallout 4 (Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maine, New Hampshire) we get a sense that under those patterns, that the next installment will be in the Western part of the US or the Midwest. New York City and Miami were said to be the two big cities that were heavily discussed in the Bethesda meetings leading up to the working on Fallout 4.

Shadow Trooper likes this.
  23. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    I feel like my main problem with Bethesda Fallout is that they de-emphasize the design elements that made me love the original Fallouts, and basically transformed the series to fit their standard Elder Scrolls mold. The greatest thing about the Original Fallouts (and New Vegas), was its focus on Choice and Consequence. It starts as soon as you hit the character creation button; you have to pick your attributes and specialize in certain skills while sacrificing others. A fast talking sniper, plays a lot differently than a dumb but strong melee character. Compare this to Fallout 3 were it is a simple matter to get 10 in every stat and 100 in every skill. This Choice and Consequence also applies to quests. Fallout 1 gives many varied ways to solve quests, via combat, stealth, dialogue, skill checks etc. Quest solutions also offer different sets of consequences which can completely block off content, something that would be unthinkable in Bethesda Fallout. In Fallout 4, all quests work the same way, travel to the quest marker and shoot all the things! This is a further step back from even Bethesda's Fallout 3. At least that game had a couple skill checks and a few instances of C&C like Megaton. Bethesda shies away from putting real consequences into their game because their idea of freedom is being able to do all the things (having all skills, doing every quests) in one play through. This goes against the very core of Fallout's greatness, and its why I think they are unsuited to continuing the Fallout franchise. These games have little in common with the classics so why did they have to use the Fallout IP?
    TLDR: Fallout had unlimited freedom to form a character of your choosing, defined by your skills, and options in how you solve quests. Bethesda Fallout gives you the freedom of where to go.

Straudenbecker likes this.
  24. TyrannosaurTJ

TyrannosaurTJ Jedi Padawan star 1

May 7, 2016
    I've loved Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and even Fallout 4. All three games I consider very enjoyable and almost relaxing for me in some ways. In fact, all three have served as my "go-to" game to play when I'm bored, feeling upset, or needing of a distraction. Both Obsidian and Bethesda did a great job with each. They may have bugs though, but certainly part of the charm. My only issue is with Fallout 4 and the never-ending radiant quests for the Minutemen. It is easily fixed with a mod. Point is I derive a certain measure of enjoyment from them all. I haven't gotten to play the previous games made by Interplay because I couldn't get them to work on my machine. I think that might be more of an ID-10-T error on my part than actual issue though. :p

I do have a game list practically a mile long though to play.

25. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    argh fix the fogging randolph safehouse bug already