main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would you wanna see a trilogy based off the Yuuzhan Vong storyline from the books?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Cherie's death nearly made me give up on SW but I had to see it to the end. I had no doubt that they would win, just not how they would.
    The NJO series is my ST equivalent of the Saga. It's one hell of an emotional gauntlet. If you can survive it, you can survive anything.
    Stuff for the OT generation to do. Luke didn't run, Han and Leia were awesome together, An engaging next generation. No only one son for Han and Leia and falls to the DS. A fully realized Jedi Order. Not that destroyed one in TFA. Much more engaging than the PT Jedi Order. An engaging enemy that is handled 10 times better than the FO ever was in TFA and is different from the Empire. Shimmra, Onimi, Nom Anor, Tsavong Lah, Mezhan Kwaad, Shedao Shai and whoever else. Hell, Vergere on her own. The galaxy actually came together to fight the threat. That scene in TUF where Han and Leia return to Mon Cal and see ships from all of the governments there still sends chills down my spine. E9 will not come up with a scene half as good as this. Doesn't hurt that this is the culmination of everything everything released from 1977 to 2003. Or even 1991 or 1999 to 2003.
    The last scene on Kashyyk with the remaining Skywalker/Solo family is the best ending to a story ever imo. Much more satisfying an ending than ROTJ and whatever E9 will do imo.
    The best part about the NJO series is that you could add more books to the era. In LOTF, they were struggling to get to 9 books. Here they did so much with 20 books but the potential was unlimited. They could have created 60 more books in the era and it would have worked.
    Conquest, Traitor, Enemy Lines duology, Agents of Chaos duology, Star By Star, The Unifying Force, Remnant (I have a soft spot for it) are some of the best SW stories ever and some of them even top the movies imo.
    I had no problem with the Vong not being part of the Force. Just a great mystery to solve. I could wait until it was revealed at the end. Unlike people who want to know about Rey right now.

I still want a NJO era soundtrack and video game and agree that movies would never do the era justice.
    The way LOTF ret-conned the NJO series is depressing. Oh well, just going to fan-fic my continuation.

2. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I agree pretty much wholeheartedly. I love that era, and for me it basically goes: PT, ST, NJO (with some stuff in between like Thrawn, and maybe KOTOR before). It really widened the lore and scope of everything Star Wars-related. And it could emotionally move anyone who stuck with it. I feel like it took the philosophy of the Force to its natural extension and conclusion. Honestly, deep down, the NJO is my real ST. There's a reason Mark Hamill did a TV spot for it. It was the definition of epic and challenging. In other words, great.

Regarding TFA, TFA's a fun film, but -- and I don't mean any disrespect to big TFA fans but -- there is a universe of difference between the TFA and what Vector Prime started with the NJO in my opinion. The vision of NJO is extraordinary. Like I said, a whole universe of difference. It's not even close.

Valiowk and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I count the stuff between ROTJ and the NJO series as well.
    The Thrawn trilogy, Dark Empire 1 (love it but am unsure about DE2/EE) and the Jedi Academy trilogy makes for an engaging halfway trilogy if you will.
    Han's reactions to Chewie's death are better than the reactions to Han's death. At least Chewie started shooting stuff up.
    As much as I loathed Jacen when I was younger it makes for a better series to have him. So many different Jedi with different philosophies made it a great series.
    Luke, Anakin, Jacen, Kyp.
    Ganner's story line was awesome.
    Vergere. Her methods were messed up but I believe that she had the galaxy's best interests at heart. I refuse to believe the Lumiya retcon. They could have met, they could have talked but Lumiya used that meeting to twist Vergere's words to her own purposes to destroy Luke Skywalker.
    Heck the whole Centerpoint Station thing. So much to discuss there.
    I was moved by TFA but nowhere near as much as by the NJO series.
    Vector Prime can be tough to read at times but that is the definition of a continuation imo.
    When Anakin, Jaina and Jacen were flying the Tie Advanced fighters in the astroid field and the OT Big 3 was commenting on how Vader used to fly one. OR something like that. Fully realized Jedi Order, no super laser planet destroying super weapon.
    I just hope that E8 and E9 can give us some curveballs.
    TUF will end happier than E9 will.
    I wish we could have gotten more stuff with the Force groups after the NJO series and slowly integrated them into the NJO. And then do the same with the Dark Side.
    Alas, not to be.
    Also. That commercial. All the win.
    TFA is SW worthy but not E7 worthy imo.

xezene likes this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    For me, the EU had some ups and downs between ROTJ and the NJO. The Thrawn trilogy was very good. Dark Empire was well written (and wonderfully illustrated), but just felt wrong. The Jedi Academy trilogy was decent, The New Rebellion was great. Hand of Thrawn was awesome, and Young Jedi Knights was a really good YA series (and a very good way of doing the Next Generation thing). But NJO... I never managed to finish it. I just thought it was too removed from the universe I fell in love with, and the characters didn't seem right at all to me (especially after having grown up reading YJK - Jacen and Jaina had no similarities to the characters of the same name in YJK). I never picked up any post-NJO EU because I thought they just (literally and figuratively) destroyed the GFFA.
    Well, I did read Legacy, and that was one fantastic comic book series - but it takes place several generations down the line, so it was easier to forgive the state of the galaxy for me.

As for Chewie dying. Yeah, the moon-dropping was incredibly stupid! As for the reason he died, he died saving Anakin's life, only to have Anakin die a few books down the line. No thanks.

And I really don't want anything extra-galactical in my Star Wars. It's the Galaxy Far, Far Away - it's a big place. You can find everything you need in it. At most I could be interested in something relating to the satellite galaxies (like the Rishi Maze).

Huttese 101 and Sarge like this.
  5. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    Not really. I only caught a few stories of the NJO and Vong war and was turned off by it. And the killik bug swarm with their psychic hive mind was just nauseating. I was ok with the Thrawn stories, DEI&II, Isard, and some of FOTJ. I even slogged through that Karen author's fanfic of Boba Fett's love land home life! But I"m pretty happy with how the TFA is going now and would rather have a new movie a year than more books. TFA has helped immensely with the "healing" and "making things right again". It's a golden time to be a SW movie fan again since ROTJ. Part of the star wars OT magic is the visual spectacle, and imo the books and eu were mainly to be a withdrawal alternative.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  6. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

I thought the first line of TFA was the most passive aggressive thing I've ever seen. The prequels weren't bad, and not everyone hated them.

7. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I thought the concept of these Villains from the Unknown Regions was actually interesting. But I don't yet. If done well it could work obviously.

8. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    I think this could be an awesome idea. It also reminds me of Patton Oswald's infamous filibuster from Parks and Rec. If you haven't seen it, you've got to.

Huttese 101 and DARTH_BELO like this.
  9. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    The last EU book I read was "Darksaber," which wasn't bad, but also wasn't that great either. Then I got a job where I didn't get to read a lot of books in my spare time, and stopped reading for a while and apparently missed out on this travesty. Better it never existed!

10. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

No Yoo-Hoo Vong or wut ever the heck name. They represent everything not SW. Bio-engineering, terraforming & technology hating. These guys should b fighting the Borg. They belong in Trek not Wars! And they Force doesn't work on 'em? SAY WUT????

The Vanguard and Sarge like this.
  11. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Preach it man.

12. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Sorry for the bad English. But I was reverting back to my inner 90's! The "Yoo-Hoo" Vong really don't feel like SW to me. Once you enter the GFFA u play by there rules. Say if Galactus decided to eat the GFFA the Force should be able to fight him. In other words, the Vong show up from another Galaxy & it have little affect on 'em?

2 quote the late great Han Solo..............

THATS NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarge likes this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I actually would quite like it. I have not read those books, but I always enjoyed the idea of some kind of Force impervious race from an unknown region or another galaxy coming and taking over the entire galaxy. Something all encompassing and tragic, bringing the whole galaxy together and making the worlds of the GFFA set aside their "petty political issues" and fight for their galaxy's very survival.

xezene and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It was a great mystery for me. Something outside of the Force? After Obi-Wan's speech in ANH, I was intrigued to see the why. And they succeeded imo.
    The bolded is why I consider the NJO series my ST. In the PT, Palpatine shattered the galaxy with the Clone Wars, in the OT, people were fighting back to restore the galaxy, and by the time of the NJO series, the galaxy was at an uneasy peace but not united. The Vong united the galaxy.
    The scene where Han and Leia return to Mon Cal and see ships from all of the galaxy's powers still sticks with me.
    And all of the leaders are in a briefing together.
    E9 will be a satisfactory ending (I assume) but will have to do a lot to compare to TUF imo.

xezene and DARTH_BELO like this.
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Force Smuggler. Yes, I have always wanted to see something like that: a gathering of all the powers in the galaxy, coming together to find a way to defeat the threat that could destroy the Galaxy's very survival. (Not unlike the "Brethren Court" in Pirates of the Caribbean, only on a galactic scale.)

I doubt we'll see this in the ST, but perhaps in the SST???

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    We'd need like a tv series, Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Old SW EU type set up for it to work imo. 3 movies won't cut it imo.
    The Old EU had stories from 1991 to 2003 when the NJO series ended. The NJO series started in 1999. That gave enough time to flesh everything out for me and made it ten times better.
    Time to set up the galaxy's powers and characters in general. And then several years later start a series like the NJO.
    Starting hints at the time of ROTJ and shortly there after and then jumping 30 years later to TFA with the JTTFA project just didn't cut it for me.

17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Sooooooooooo, the Yoo-Hoo Vong were Midi-chlorian free?

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    No living beings should be impervious to the Force. The only exception to that should be that Jedi mind tricks don't work on everyone, and some species (Toydarians, for example) like to at least claim that they don't work on them.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Yuuzhan Vong could be sensed in the Force but the Jedi had to expand their knowledge in the Force to do so.
    They were cut off from the Force by the planet Yuuzhan'tar after the Vong destroyed their home planet and galaxy. They were in symbiosis with their planet but lost it after the planet was destroyed. They took to pain and sacrifice to try to get back to it.
    At least it was different from a Skywalker/Solo becoming a Sith Lord for whatever number time it is that we are up to now.

xezene likes this.
  20. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    [​IMG]

Seriously - read those first three sentences again. Read them. You literally can't see how lame and un-Star Wars-y and nonsensical that is?

Sarge likes this.
  21. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    That's a bit harsh, but I agree.

I know some love and cherish EU, but the Vong have always felt unecessary. There are too many other existing species to explore in the canon to waste time on the Yuuzhan Vong.

22. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    It seems like TFA somewhat borrows the Vong example of a force coming from beyond the outer rim to attack the New Republic. I think Snoke is from beyond the outer rim, not outside the galaxy, but from an unknown region to mount a threat. Not very similar, but I think there are some borrowed ideas from the Vong threat.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    People call for new things all the time but when they get it, they complain. This fandom. :rolleyes:
    In TCW they had the Father, Son and Daughter and Mortis. Or that one planet Yoda went to in that Series 6 TCW arc. How is that any different?
    In Darth Plagueis and Tarkin doesn't it talk about the Force striking back? You do so much bad stuff, you lose the Force?
    The Jedi helping a war-like species come back to the light?
    Pity they never explored having the Vong getting back to using the Force as a species after the series was over.
    Just Onimi and Vongrella.
    Regardless, works for me, and that's all that matters.

24. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Were up to 2.

25. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I guess it depends on where the ST ends. It would definitely be very different to the original NJO (no Han, no JACEN, Jaina or Anakin), but the idea of an invasion by an extragalactic force like the Yuuzhan Vong definitely has the potential to be a good film trilogy or TV series and I'd love to see them take that premise and do something new with it.

BigAl6ft6, xezene and Force Smuggler like this.