main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Joonas Suotamo (Chewbacca) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Jonipoon, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    There wasn't a thread for poor Chewbacca (I mean, really?!), so I decided to make one dedicated to our favourite fuzzball.

Since Chewbacca is the first confirmed character to appear in the Han Solo movie (except for Han himself, of course) slated for release in May 2018, I was thinking - Why not let the speculation begin?

Casting
    First of all, do you think Peter Mayhew will reprise the role? Due to his health and age, I don't think he'll be able to perform the required action scenes for this type of movie. Joonas Suotamo was used as his body double for action scenes in TFA, but it wouldn't surprise me if Suotamo takes over the role completely for upcoming films. I find this a bit sad though, because Mayhew is probably the only person who knows exactly how Chewie moves his head and body. It's really hard to mimic, but I think Suotamo did a pretty good job (albeit only for action scenes). Besides, Chewie is obviously younger in this Han Solo movie, so it makes sense to use a younger actor. Or would you rather see Mayhew return, and just use Suotamo for the action scenes?

Place in story
    I definitely think the movie will show us how Han Solo met Chewie. There's no way the movie will start with them being friends already. Or maybe we shouldnt rule out this possibility? What do you think?

I personally think they'll include some parts of the EU, with Chewie being captured by Imperials and then freed by Han.

2. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I suspect Mayhew will be on set as a "consultant," and Suotamo will be in the costume throughout the film.

3. IG_Matey_8

IG_Matey_8 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 10, 2016
    Almost certain to show us how they met. I'd expect Lando to make an appearance as well as some cool new characters.

4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I imagine Suotamo will be Chewie for the whole film this time.

5. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I wouldn't mind it. Mayhew had his run, and it was a great run.

Suotamo has studied acting so I don't doubt his acting abilities.

6. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Good question. I am guessing that Peter Mayhew is going to finish out the ST with Episode VIII and IX, then retire from playing Chewbacca; letting the young Joonas Suotamo portray the great Wookie for the Han Solo movie/movies. To me Peter Mayhew is Chewbacca, so I would definitely love for Peter to play Chewie forever; but like Harrison Ford, Peter can't do this forever. Whatever Peter decides, I will respect his decision, and wish him the best. :chewie: :)

7. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Do you think they will give Chewie an ever so slightly different look? Not in terms of the suit or hair color, but maybe something subtle like a braid in his hair or maybe an all leather sash/strap instead of his "gun mag metal" one? Just to distinguish it as 10 years earlier?

Will we see him pull someone's arm out of its socket...finally?

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Yes. During the time period covered by the Han Solo movie, Chewie was going through his straight edge punk phase.

[​IMG]

9. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I hope they show the beginning of Han and Chewie's friendship. It would show a different dynamic between two characters we so often picture as inseperable friends, and the possibilities can lead to something interesting.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  10. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Perhaps we would see him without his signature belt? Oh wait, he wore that one in TCW...

11. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    As long as the Crass logo is in there, I'm all good...

12. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

And Minor Threat!

13. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I too, would love to see Peter Mayhew return as Chewie, but I think Lucasfilm has already made up their minds. I wouldn't mind close up shots of Mayhew, but walking and action scenes need to be Joonas Suotamo.

Han Solo should start off in the Imperial Navy, he doesn't like how they treat aliens and finally decides to act on it. He kills a few Imperial Officers, they find out who did it and he goes into hiding. Perhaps he gets Lando Calrissian involved, gets him into a little trouble, while looking for a ship, he wins the Falcon from Lando. Also, Lando knows of Chewbacca in Episode V, so I hope we see this.

I would like to see Chewbacca about to be killed by the Empire, maybe him and a couple of other Wookiees, maybe even his family, then Han Solo steps in and saves all of them.

I also want to see Chewie pulling some droids arms off, this way, when it comes to ANH, he can say that line to C-3PO.

At the end of the movie, he goes to work for Jabba the Hutt, as Greedo and others are at Jabba's Palace.

14. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Chewie is true! [face_rofl]

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  15. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I guarantee you now this is how it happens:

Han is a loner and down on his luck. He meets Chewie. They become friends. Go on a little adventure. It ends with Han winning the Falcon from Lando.

16. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    Chewie wore it in AOTC, so he'll wear it in this new film.

As for Solo starting out in the Imperial navy, or any other elements from the EU, they've already thrown out much of the EU. I expect they'll do the same here and opt for a whole new take on Solo's past.

Should be interesting and fun to see.

17. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Chewbacca sitting next to someone other than Harrison Ford is... Disturbing.

JediMatteus and AshiusX like this.
  18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Personally, I never found this scene to be too disturbing:

[​IMG]

wobbits likes this.
  19. Among the Clouds

May 18, 2001

And I quite like Chewie next to Rey. But I don't think that's quite what Darth Formidious meant. I think the idea of the classic looking Chewie next to another actor playing Han Solo is a bitter pill to swallow.

20. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I think "bitter pill" is a tad melodramatic at this stage. I can understand that it will take some getting used to, but as with Fassbender's Magneto, the march of Bonds, and other recasts in film history, if Ehrenreich is good, the experience of swallowing this "bitter pill" will soon be forgotten.

wobbits likes this.
  21. Among the Clouds

May 18, 2001

At this point in time I don't think you can compare Han Solo being recast to Bond or Magneto. For one, this is Star Wars, which is bigger than pretty much any other franchise you can shake a stick at, and two, we are accustomed to Bond being replaced every so often. Not to mention the fact that all of the X-Men were recast for First Class and its sequels, so it wouldn't make sense to not recast Magneto. Probably in time we'll look back and wonder why we were so afraid of the change, but right now, I don't think its melodramatic to fear the idea of a new actor replacing a most beloved character in the biggest series there is, especially when said character just featured in a sequel that took over 30 years to happen.

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    The first time Bond was recast, people were not accustomed to it (and many complained at the time). That's the point of the comparison. It's the first time Han is being recast, and so some people will find it initially hard to adjust. But if Ehrenreich plays a great young Han, this will ultimately be seen as a tempest in a teacup. And of course, I neglected to mention McGregor as young Obi-Wan, which most fans found to be a successful recast.

Also, your point about all the characters being recast for X-Men First Class seems to suggest that if the Han Solo movie featured a recast young Leia, a recast young Luke, and a recast young Tarkin, fans would be more accommodating? That's a strange argument...

wobbits likes this.
  23. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Throughout the entire Star Wars OT and at least most of TFA, we have never seen Chewbacca and Han Solo separated from each other, except on two occasions - when Han was frozen in carbonite in TESB, and after he was killed by Kylo Ren in TFA (the latter scenario means that poor Chewie has lost his buddy forever, although he is able to click with Rey)...

So what better way to honor this long bromance by bringing our favorite Wookie to the Han Solo movie, and see how they first met? :han::chewie:

24. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Exactly this! It would just seem like a rip off Han Solo trying too hard. But that's just my opinion on the matter. ;)

Among the Clouds and Sarge like this.
  25. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Just out of curiosity, does the fact that it is likely going to be a different actor for Chewie bother you at all, or does the whole full body suit negate that?